Author Topic: Total Newbie here, I have the location but no port name  (Read 1919 times)

Angel_48

• View Profile
Total Newbie here, I have the location but no port name
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:58:30 pm »
Hi Everyone
This looked really interesting, going over old logs and seeing or reading what they went through. But I have hardley begun and already asking questions, I decided to try the "Rush" and I have the Latitude and Longitude for Noon but no Port name, I read to write what I see so should I just leave it blank?
After three days of looking at the log I finally figured out the first word in the ships name, how woeful is that :( Revenue Steamer

Hugs and thanks for any help
Karin  :-[

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: Total Newbie here, I have the location but no port name
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 12:08:51 am »
Hi Karin and welcome to Old Weather. I am doing the Rush too and the writing can be a challenge. If you have the lat and long you don't need the port name at noon and the ship is probably not in port. If it were, the log keeper generally doesn't give the lat/long. I would say the lat/long is preferable, in fact, since it will save the climate science team from having to look it up. Don't worry, it gets easier as you see more log pages.

Angel_48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 12:15:24 am »
Thank you Gastcra
Thank you for the warm welcome :)
That is a huge help, I have looked through many posts and I think that I haven't seen the worst writing yet but it isnt easy especially for the first one, as you said it will get better the more one gets used to the writing.

Thanks
Karin

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 12:23:38 am »
Hi, Angel, welcome to the forum.

gastcra is right - every ship I've seen uses only names sometimes, sometimes just the lat/long, and sometimes a combination.  We go with what they give us.  The Noon Observed lat/long is the most accurate and desired, when it exists at all.  But the Location box can be used as often as you wish, and even if the only place name they record is "at Sea". :)