Author Topic: Transporting people is that for events or Mentions?  (Read 1757 times)

Angel_48

• View Profile
Transporting people is that for events or Mentions?
« on: October 31, 2012, 11:57:01 pm »
Hi everyone, sorry if this is a silly question.

I have a shocking memory, and for the life of me I cannot remember what goes into the mentions tab. Sometimes the "Rush" transports Agents and other people, so was wondering where that would go. Also is there more information in the forum about the Mentions tab in the forum?  I did a search but that came up emtpy.

Thanks in advance
Karin

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Transporting people is that for events or Mentions?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 12:49:13 am »
Angel,
If the log gives you a proper name, put it in mentions.  Pick person or ship as appropriate.  Put the name with any titles in Name.  (e.g. Ensign Dewey, or Danish SS Olafsson).  Then type the sentence the name's attached to in Context.

If there are no proper names to be indexed, put the whole statement in events. 

And when it doubt, Events covers just about everything on the Comments page but sea ice and animals - those are much wanted in their own tabs by the US climatologists.
:)

Angel_48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 01:10:54 am »
Thank you Janet Jaguar

That answers everything, just want to make sure I do things right. I love a bit of history and this is like being a part of writing the history books in a small way.

Thanks
Karin :)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 02:58:50 am »
Thank you Janet Jaguar

That answers everything, just want to make sure I do things right. I love a bit of history and this is like being a part of writing the history books in a small way.

Thanks
Karin :)

For real. :)
All of these scans are scheduled for permanent storage in the US National Archives.  Historians and ordinary people will be able to read your transcriptions.  And the weather data is finding permanent home in global climate databases.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 07:25:26 am »
Here is an example (near the end) from Bear: http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=3233.msg52597#msg52597

Unfortunately, the Rush Reference page does not have and mentions.

PS - The best way to search for a ship in this list is via the Index (http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=3210.msg52142#msg52142)