Author Topic: Thetis -- Crew Lists  (Read 17961 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thetis -- Crew Lists
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 08:15:14 pm »
You might include a link to that page: Posting Links and Images (A Guide) ;)

Kookaburra

• Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 10:28:09 pm »
30 August 1888

At 9.45 by order of Commanding Officer EJ Schneider (Pay Yeo) in solitary confinement for three days on full rations for insubordination and disrespect.

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Thetis/vol007of024/vol007_036_1.jpg

Kookaburra

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 08:44:21 pm »
31 August 1888
This adventure is taking a toll on all of them.

At 10.45 EJ Haley (CM) jumped overboard from the starboard ~ ladder.  The ship was stopped, life buoy dropped, failing to light, & the life boat lowered.  The Commanding Officer relieved the deck & Ensign Welles took charge of the life boat when the life boat reached the buoy.  Haley was seen about two boat lengths off just as he was going down.  When rising again he staid at the surface but a few seconds & went down not being seen again. The boat remained in the vicinity for 15 minutes or more & returned to the ship.  The ship started ahead in her course S by E 1/4 E (~) at 11.15 Ensign Welles relieving the Commanding Officer & the deck.  When the body passed the schooner "Jane Gray" astern, lines were thrown over the bow.  She also lowered her boat & assisted in the search.

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Thetis/vol007of024/vol007_037_1.jpg

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 09:06:30 pm »
starboard poop ladder :-\

S by E 1/4 E (p.c.) --- per compass

Kookaburra

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 09:19:26 pm »
Thanks Randi. 

This was a hard one for me - even though it was 125 years ago.    :'(

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 09:36:48 pm »
I remember sniffling through a burial at sea even though that was the only time he was mentioned in the log.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 09:42:21 pm »
We memorialize our dead, because they somehow are really ours.  These ships and their crew become very real as we record their daily lives.  Rest in Peace, E J Haley.

Kookaburra

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2014, 06:17:42 pm »
4 September 1888
Ensign RP Schwerin, US Navy was ordered by the Commanding Officer to the command of the schooner "Jane Gray" & Ensign RF Lopez, US Navy was detailed from the command of the schooner "Jane Gray" & ordered as Executive Officer & Navigator of the ship. . .  By order of the Commanding Officer M Scanlon (CMT) was disrated to seaman,  By order of Comd'g Officer the order of 23rd ~ is so far changed that the accounts of these men transferred to the schooner "Jane Gray" were transferred with them to-day.

whew - the summary report at the end of the log book states that Ensign Dewey was given command of "Jane Gray" and Schwerin was sent under arrest to Mare Island, so I am expecting to see yet another change in command for the schooner before it makes it all the way to California.

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Thetis/vol007of024/vol007_041_1.jpg

Edited to add:
NEXT DAY
By order of Commanding Officer Ensign RP Schwerin was ordered to relinquish the command of the schooner "Jane Gray," report on board this vessel, & was then placed under arrest to take passage in the schooner "Jane Gray" to the Mare Island Navy Yard, and then to await the action of the Honorable Secretary of the Navy regarding charges preferred against him by his Commanding Officer - Disrespect, insubordination and other charges to be preferred in writing.

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Thetis/vol007of024/vol007_042_1.jpg

In ONE day he has potentially ruined his career and ended his first command.  Quite an accomplishment!  And he gets sent home under arrest in the ship he was supposed to command.

OK, so I got curious about our Ensign Schwerin and did a little research, herewith:
His name is Reginald Picayune Schwerin
From the "official" records we get this:
Schwerin, Rennie P.
Cadet Midshipman, 25 September, 1874. Graduated 10 June, 1881. Ensign, Junior Grade, 3 March, 1883. Ensign, 26 June, 1884. Lieutenant, Junior Grade, 30 June, 1891. Resigned 6 March, 1893.

Later, he was really irritating San Francisco reporters in port, where I feel compelled to quote the entire snarky article (16 June 1898):
R. P. SCHWERIN CALLED DOWN

Must Admit Reporters to the Mail Dock.

A BITTER PILL FOR HIM

HE HAS TO SWALLOW IT AND MAKE NO FACES.

The Call's Expose of the Peking's Pig Pen Besulted in First-Class Quarters for Soldiers in the China and Colon.

The person whom Collis P. Huntington saved from court-martial and dismissal from the navy, one R. P. Schwerin, has come down from his high horse. His descent was sudden, and every bone in his siuggy anatomy was jarred in consequence.

Reginald Picayune dreamed that he owned the water front, just as Collis P. once dreamed that he owned the Oakland water front. Reginald awoke only to find that the State Board of Harbor Commissioners has considerable to say in regard to matters pertaining to the harbor and wharves, and the awakening was a rude one. Like the indolent Turk, he dreamed that all and sundry trembled at his power, and, like the Oriental, awoke, to find his dream was only a dream.

When the first fleet of transports was being fitted out to go to Manila with troops, The Call pointed out that the berths and accommodations being put in the City of Peking were not as good as were furnished the Chinese coolies who travel year in and year out on the boat.  At this Mr. Schwerin got very angry, and issued orders that no Call reporter should be allowed on the Mail Company's wharf. On different occasions various members of The Call's staff tried to get down to the transports, but were invariably refused admittance.

Things came to a head, however, when the steamer Belgic of the Occidental and Oriental Company's line arrived from Hongkong with news from Dewey's fleet. Representatives from every paper in town flocked down to the wharf and every one of them gained admittance save three representatives of The Call. One of the latter tried to force his way down, and was forcibly ejected "by Mr. Schwerin's orders."

The matter was laid before the Harbor Commissioners, and that body at once informed the autocrat of the Mail dock that he must admit The Call representatives to the wharf or else exclude every newspaper man in the city. Mr. Schwerin swallowed the bitter pill and now The Call men come and go at pleasure. 

The publication of the manner in which the Peking was fitted out has done a great deal of good, and the boys in blue who sailed on the China and Colon yesterday have The Call to thank for having first-class quarters. When the work of fitting out these two vessels was first begun, Schwerin out of pure cussedness was going to put in the same kind of bunks that had been put in the Peking, The Call heard of this and informed the public and the army officers of the fact.  The result was that such fixtures as had been put in the China and Colon were torn down and quarters equal to anything put in any of the troopships were fitted up.

The fight is now over and Reginald Picayune can go back to his dreams, but in future he will confine his efforts after absolute power to his own quarterdeck.  Even there he has to be careful, because when a lieutenant on the quarterdeck of a sloop-of-war? but then that story has already been told.
http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=SFC18980616.1.11&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN------#
Page 11 5th column top

Despite that he appears to have been quite successful in private life - he was a member of both the prestigious Pacific-Union Club in San Francisco and the Burlingame Country Club (a suburb of SF), while serving as an executive in California shipping endeavors.

I have been unable to find anything other than the above quoted article witch may refer to the arrest in the log.   
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:37:02 pm by Kookaburra »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2014, 03:12:58 pm »
 :o

Kookaburra

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2014, 08:00:35 pm »
08 September 1888

Ensign TG Dewey, USN, was ordered to command the schooner "Jane Gray."

And I hope that is the last of the chess moves between these two ships.

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Thetis/vol007of024/vol007_045_1.jpg

I was wondering, however, what became of the schooner after this adventure.
In 1896 the schooner was seized the the Coast Guard for illegal seal hunting.  The officers and owners were brought before a federal court.
http://books.google.com/books?id=8GY4AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA910&lpg=PA910&dq=schooner+Jane+gray&source=bl&ots=-PVdn8xav5&sig=0e2x4aYDuU0vOBF1jc2prphyI3E&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9so6VKKLIMmVyASb6YBQ&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=schooner%20Jane%20gray&f=false

And what is most assuredly the final word on this ill fated schooner, she again wreaked in Alaska, this time with many deaths and a uproar in Seattle.
And there is a recent book out about the final voyage - tempting!
http://www.thejanegray.com/The_Jane_Gray/Story.html

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2014, 08:08:31 pm »
An amazing saga you discovered, Kookaburra.  First for the Jane Gray, which couldn't stay out of trouble.  RP Schwerin sounds like that kind of person who is so infatuated with being someone else's boss and showing off his power, he forgets to obey and respect his own bosses.  I've met them in industry, they can be very successful but disliked in smaller firms without enough top structure to need much middle management.  I doubt the Navy ever qualified for that description.

Kookaburra

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2014, 08:46:46 pm »
Oh yes Janet, it has been very fascinating.  It has taken a great deal of willpower to NOT post many more details and just stick to the most significant milestones :)

Schwerin is much like people I have met in business too, but does not sound like a a template for success in the military forces!  For some reason, I really want to know what happened when he got to Mare Island.  And how ever did he get in with Collis Potter Huntington?  For those who were not raised in California, Huntington was one of the "Big Four" who pushed through the 1st US transcontinental railroad in the late 1860s, along with Leland Stanford, Charles Crocker and Mark Hopkins - one of the original Robber Barons; a massively rich and influential man.  Why he was instrumental in the life a Navy Ensign is left a mystery.

But, doing further research, I just discovered that the man who hired, promoted and paid Mr. Schwerin after his departure from the Navy was none other than the same Mr. Huntington and that the shipping concerns where Schwerin served were all owned or controlled by Mr. Huntington.  Oh, what a tangled web . . . . 

My family believes I am obsessed with this - but that can not be true, can it?   ;)

OK, I will stop now.  :)  ;D

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2014, 09:46:10 pm »
Have you found the Signs of OW addiction ... topic yet?  We are all guilty of that.   :o 8)

ADDED: I also googled this article.  Seems the incident hurt Emory more than Schwerin.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:20:12 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Kookaburra

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2014, 11:23:48 pm »
wow, I am impressed with that find!  Clearly a huge conflict between them for Emory to relinquish his ship!

Perhaps Emory was not the perfect officer during this era - I am remembering the 17 years spent as Lieutenant Commander.  They both surely prospered in the future though, so maybe just the passions of youth :)

Oh, how I wish I could know what was said between them on 5 September 1888!

Sigh.  And I will plead guilty at my Summary Court Martial for the preferred charge of OW Addiction but refuse to take part in court ordered recovery program.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2014, 11:38:19 pm »
That's fine, no recovery required in this crowd. 8)