Author Topic: Barometers, Instrumentation and Specifications by Ship - Phase 3  (Read 45326 times)

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: Barometers, Instrumentation and Specifications by Ship - Phase 3
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 02:11:19 pm »
Thanks - I forgot about that.  :-[

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 12:03:00 pm »
Jeanette

A.M Winter routine commenced at 0 hours. The data for the columns of opposite page is obtained from the meteorological journal which is made from hourly observation by the officers of the ship.

I wonder how this differs from the previous routine? Perhaps the weather data were recorded directly into the ship's log rather than being copied from the meteorlogical journal?

I note also that the pressure is now given to 3 decimal places and the attached temperature is blank. Could this mean they are now entering the adjusted pressure in the log?

Clewi

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 12:32:15 pm »
Pressure is for 32 F as pointed out on the head of each pressure column.

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 12:37:18 pm »
Yes, I just noticed it said "reduced" on November 2. I wasn't sure what "red." meant until I saw that. This means the barometer reading is no long accurate, I suppose?

Clewi

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 12:40:06 pm »
As a former TA let me tell you that "accuracy" is a very relative thing!  ;)

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 12:50:46 pm »
I don't doubt that at all, Clewi. I used to work for a statistical agency  ;D

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 02:36:17 pm »
As a retired Quality Manager in manufacturing, I third your conclusions.  Everything recorded by humans is relative. ;D

Clewi

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 01:06:54 am »
Jeanette

Inserted notes on pages of January, 10th 1880, start of vol 2 (I think).

Description of the Instruments used in making the Meteorological Observations recorded in the columns of the Log Book.

Barometer

The Standard was a Mercurial Barometer made by Adie, London, No 1231, and was placed in the Cabin. The entries in the Log Book are from reading of Aneroid barometer N 28051 which had been set by comparison ~ Mercurial Standard to a reading reduced to 32? Fahrenheit and placed in the ~ ~ Room.

Temperature.

The "Air Dry Bulb" was recorded from readings of Standard Mercurial Thermometer No 4313 made by Green, New York. So long as the temperature was above the freezing point of the Mercury of that instrument. At other times the temperature was recorded from readings of spirit thermometers, uncolored or colored as marked "clear" or "purple" ~, and indicated by their numbers. All these thermometers were made by Green New York.

The "Water at Surface" was recorded from readings of a thermometer attached to a Hydrometer Cup made by G. ~, New York, (without number) and which thermometer agrees with Standard Mercurial Thermometer No 4313.
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jeannette/vol002of004/vol002_008_0.jpg

Deep Sea Temperatures

The depth of water not being great, ~ one Casella-~ Thermometer was used. The numbers of the Thermometer ~ are written in ~ ~ abreast of the Sounding. ~ were found upon comparison to agree with Standard  Mercurial Thermometer No 4313. The Temperature at a depth of two fathoms was obtained ~ water drawn from one of the Sea ~ in the bottom ~ the ship which was quite uniformly 12 feet below ~ Surface of the water. The readings were made from ~ Thermometer attached to the Hydrometer Cup made by ~, New York before mentioned.

Specific Gravities 

Water was brought up by a ~ Water Cup from ~ greatest depth obtained. Water at 2 fathoms was obtained ~ a Sea ~ as mentioned above. The "Surface"water was obtained from about one foot below the Surface. The Specific Gravities were read from a Hydrometer ~ ~, New York. Specific Gravity ~ Fahr. ~ 1.020 to 1.031, for the greatest depth. Surface water ~ water at 2 fathoms had their Specific Gravity recorded ~ readings of a more delicate Hydrometer marked "Reinmann ~, 96 Fulton St. N.Y. Specific Gravity ~ ~F Scale ~ to 1.040.   

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jeannette/vol002of004/vol002_009_0.jpg

Solar Radiation

The "Black Bulb in Vacuo" was made by Green, New York.

The "Black Bulb in Air" was made by Green, New York..

Wind Velocities

These were recorded from readings of an Anemometer marked " ~. Green, N.Y." "Signal Service U.S.A:" "10" "No. 120"

Until April 16th the Thermometer was secured in and about a lattice work box which was fastened to the Starboard ~ Rigging, and the Anemometer mounted on top of a ~ ~ to the ~ ~. On April 16th the Thermometer Box and Anemometer were removed to the ice about 150 feet from the ship and mounted on a frame work about ~ feet in height.

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jeannette/vol002of004/vol002_009_0.jpg

and continued

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jeannette/vol002of004/vol002_009_1.jpg

Photoshop is your friend!  ::)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:15:38 am by Janet Jaguar »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 07:23:46 am »
The thermometers as used in the logbook so far (will be updated from time to time as I go)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/78834166/Jeanette%20Therm.htm

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 07:03:47 am »
Please do put the whole inset transcriptions on the page they would have been on if they had fitted.

Before I took up climate science I used to work on safety assessments for (nuclear) power stations, and a main steam-line break was one of the most serious accidents we modelled. Tragedy though it was, I reckon the Concord did well - I'm amazed that more people were not killed or injured.

The barometer change is also notable - it happens before the accident, but after they have done their exercises and fired their guns. It could well be that they broke their mercury barometer doing this - they wouldn't be the first. Perhaps on another day it would have rated an entry in the log.

It's also clear that at least one of their barometers is badly calibrated (probably the replacement (aneroid)) - the measurements switch by 0.5 inches when they change instrument. I'd expect a mercury barometer to be about 0.1 inches higher than a good aneroid at 68F, but 0.5 inches is a lot. I'll be interested to see when they switch again - presumably they'll be back in port for a refit soon.

Old thread, but I noticed the Concord received another aneroid barometer on 22/07/1891.
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Concord/vol011of040/vol011of040_168_1.jpg
4-8 pm watch. It's last in a larger shipment of equipment and parts and there's no mention of installing the barometer in the following days, so it might be a spare.

I'd mark it as an event but I'm not actually transcribing this page, just snuck a peek (I transcribed the weather log for this day, and then it skipped to the next weather log, so I assume the event log got its third pass before I got to it).

edit: Accidentally linked the wrong log page, fixed.

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 12:03:02 pm »
 "B.B in Vacuo, +45 degrees". This refers to a black bulb in vacuo thermometer, which measures solar radiation. Is this information useful to OW?

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jeannette/vol002of004/vol002_071_0.jpg  (1 PM right margin)

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 08:11:00 pm »
The log keeper has put the barometer height in the wrong column.
I have logged it in the correct one.

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Concord/vol012of040/vol012of040_019_0.jpg
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:18:26 pm by Pommy Stuart »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 08:25:06 pm »
 :-*