Author Topic: Official Logbook Instructions (various)  (Read 12420 times)

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: Official Logbook Instructions (various)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 04:16:04 pm »
Great! Now there's nothing holding us back from retrieving the data from the Yukon. By the way, what ever happened to the interface to review and correct the RN log transcriptions? Will that eventually be adapted to the US logs?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 05:29:49 pm »
Great! Now there's nothing holding us back from retrieving the data from the Yukon. By the way, what ever happened to the interface to review and correct the RN log transcriptions? Will that eventually be adapted to the US logs?

The final harbour for the RN ships is a highly economic harbor, it keeps the JPEGs available to us but has no working interface.  However in recent weeks, I've been asked for all our instructions and posts on the Review Interface so the PTB are doing something behind the scenes.  I suppose we will hear what they want with it eventually.

propriome

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 04:56:13 pm »
1913 Unalga (I) extract from the Regulations for the Revenue Cutter Service, covering Captain, Navigator, Ordnance Officer and Officer of the Deck duties regarding the log maintenace:
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Unalga//Volumes/Seagate%20Backup%20Plus%20Drive/Arfon-JPEGS/RG26/UNALGA//b2566/b2566_004_1.jpg

1913 Unalga (I) instructions for logkeeping (weather and cloud codes, state of the sea, astronomical signs to use, what to enter in the log, expressions to use):
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Unalga//Volumes/Seagate%20Backup%20Plus%20Drive/Arfon-JPEGS/RG26/UNALGA//b2566/b2566_004_1_0.jpg
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Unalga//Volumes/Seagate%20Backup%20Plus%20Drive/Arfon-JPEGS/RG26/UNALGA//b2566/b2566_004_1_1.jpg

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 09:56:13 am »
Seems the Concord Captain is insisting something about every point in the list be entered in the log. %^(.
Did you tell him about it Propriome?  %^)

propriome

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 10:18:17 am »
 ;D ;D ;D
Err.. nope  :P

Unalga 1913 logs are instead quite messy at the moment, at least compared with WW2 logs.

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 04:19:38 pm »
It would be handy to know which of those items to be mentioned in the logs are of:
  • NO interest;
  • Marginal interest; and,
  • Vital importance
to the historians.

That would give us transcribers a better sense of what needs to be entered. Especially for a ship like Concord where the Miscellaneous Events logs can sometimes be three pages long for a single day.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 04:41:10 pm »
The date, at least one location, all the weather records, animals and sea ice are required.
The rest is optional.
We suggest people, ships, places, refueling, auroras, volcanoes, and whatever interests YOU.
Eventually, the history editors will use your transcriptions and the logs themselves to write the ship histories.

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 05:48:30 pm »
Janet, yes, I understand about the dates, sea ice, animals and peoples names etc. But here's a puzzle: the Concord has been anchored for several months at the Pagoda Anchorage on the Min River near Fuzhou (Foo Chow, Fuchau etc). The Min River is a 577 kilometres (359 mi)-long river in Fujian province, People's Republic of China. It is the largest river in Fujian, and an important water transport channel. Most of northern and central Fujian is within its drainage area. The Concord has been taking hourly measurements of current speed and water depth since they anchored here. This is of no interest to me whatsoever, but I can easily imagine these data being of some value to someone studying the drainage patterns over time in this part of China. Just as we in the weather service, when I was working, were interested in forecasting the weather and studying past weather events, people in the water surveys branch were doing the same for river flows and floods etc. If I knew that someone was interested in these data, I could, with minimal effort, enter them, but if no one is interested, it's just a waste of my time. Part of the problem, as I see it, is that no-one other than Stuart, me and a couple of other people even know these water flow data are here. Similarly for data on the currents when they've been anchored off shore. Maybe oceanographers would like to know those numbers to see how ocean currents have changed over time. I don't know. Just one of those silly questions that cross my mind as I scan these logs...

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 05:50:27 pm »
Janet? ;)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 05:57:43 pm »
Ooops. Randi.   :-[

camiller

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 09:49:48 pm »
Directions for keeping the log, Jamestown, vol. 3, 7/13/1847 - 7/29/1848
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jamestown/vol003of067/vol003of067_002_0.jpg

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 10:00:45 pm »
 8)

camiller

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 10:16:08 pm »
Notice that there is a weather code 'g' for gloomy and 'u' for ugly, but no code for pleasant!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 11:02:23 pm »
try 'b' - 'blue sky with few clouds'; implied sunny and bright.  :)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 11:09:14 pm »
In this as in most things, TWYS is preferred.  :)