Author Topic: where to see the RN logbooks?  (Read 2253 times)

shippeb

• Editor
    • View Profile
where to see the RN logbooks?
« on: November 20, 2012, 09:14:16 am »
Hi all,

I'm going to be visiting London in a few weeks, with a tiny little bit of spare time.  I seem to remember that the log books are available somewhere to be actually seen, but can't for the life of me remember where, nor can I find the information.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks!

E.

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
Re: where to see the RN logbooks?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 09:25:41 am »
Hi Elizabeth. The RN log books are held by the National Archives at Kew: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/
Unfortunately, the Museum is currently closed for refurbishment but the reading rooms and library are open.

shippeb

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »
Thanks, Caro!  I had tried to search there online, but wasn't able to sweet-talk their new catalogue sufficiently.  The old version and I got on well enough, however.  Of course, I'm stacking up a whole lot of things to do while in London, so I'm now not sure I'm going what I'm going to have time to do. 

Thanks again, though!

E.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 01:08:37 pm »
If you go past Liberty's you could wave to Janet's ship.  ;D

shippeb

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 03:31:53 pm »
If you go past Liberty's you could wave to Janet's ship.  ;D

Am likely to go past (or even into) Liberty's, so would like to know more.  Actually, I took a lot of pictures of M.33 while I was in Portsmouth last December, and really ought to get them off my memory chip and uploaded here.  Someday...

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 03:49:40 pm »
When you go to Liberty's check the weather vane on the top - it is the ship that Janet Jaguar uses...and don't forget to watch the silly clock of George chasing the Dragon by the front door...dragons chased on the quarter and slain hourly. :D
http://www.liberty.co.uk/blog/6408/the-liberty-clock/

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 06:01:31 pm »
I might add, my choice for my avatar was accidental.  I simply fell in love with an unidentified online picture of a golden ship, and only afterwards found out it was a model of the "Mayflower" on top of of store named "Liberty" located in the middle of London.  How could any red-blooded American working on an British project not like that? ;D

Kevin

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 06:14:18 pm »
I enjoyed seeing Harrison's longitude clocks (chronometers) at the Observatory while laying over en route from the US to Cape Town. I recommend against falling asleep in the Underground, though, especially if it isn't the train to Heathrow you're on.

shippeb

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 07:09:52 pm »
Now I understand about the Liberty ship, thanks!  Makes much more sense.  Weren't the ships used in Lend-Lease called Liberty ships, or something?  Ha!  I was right.  Listening to Herman Wouk's books has educated me.  :)

I'm definitely going to Greenwich;  my hotel is right on the river (across from Canary Wharf) and has connections to the Thames Clippers, so I am taking a cruise down the river.  Haven't decided whether or not I'm going to the Observatory, I have other things to see at the Maritime Museum itself.   But I should probably go see them just to get a sense of the history.

Thanks, all!

Geoff

• Shipherd
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 09:01:55 am »
If you're visiting the Maritime Museum make sure you leave by the back entrance (towards Greenwich Park) so you can see the large ship-in-a-bottle on a plinth outside - well worth a look.

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 06:04:38 pm »
Re Liberty:
"The timbers used in the construction of the building (built in 1924 by architects Edwin T. Hall and his son Edwin S. Hall) were taken from two British naval ships, HMS Impregnable and HMS Hindustan." Another good reason to visit.  ;D