There was an etching solution in use at the time called Tuckers etch which as I recall was conc sulphuric, fuming nitric (or the other way round), picric and HF, used boiling!
In case of HF exposure we had capsules of calcium gluconate available with instructions to take an appropriate number to the A&E 5 min walk away and INSIST it was injected immediately under the contact area. If you swallowed it then you could try to drink milk before you went to A&E, eyes then you contacted the Eye Hospital via 999. In all cases take the capsules with you just in case. Posters giving all sorts of treatments for chemical exposures were prominent, we also had a lab with enough cyanide to poison the whole city. Still, I survived it.
My mum worked on one of the original polythene plants, high temp & pressure exothermic process controlled (it was WW2) by girls operating a pressure valve. The reactor building had a hinged roof for faster repair since every so often someone turned the control the wrong way. In between sessions on the controls she used all sorts of toxic hydrocarbons on what they described as 'gas testing' with minimal protection. COSHH eat your heart out.