Author Topic: American: Health, Hygiene, Medicine, and Surgery  (Read 8144 times)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: American: Health, Hygiene, Medicine, and Surgery
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2017, 06:45:31 pm »
Received on board from Blackhead and Company for deck department 2 rat traps, 1 flour sifter, 1 meat scale; for scientific department 100 lbs. packing stuff.

Hmmm - nice find Hurlock. I bet there were a few small free-loaders in those clothes. Glad I didn't have to face the rats. :o

Hurlock

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2017, 08:20:58 am »
Albatross Manila April 13 1909
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Albatross/vol043of055/vol043of055_0188_1.jpg
Lieut-Commander C.M.McCormick, U.S.N., Lieutenant B.G.Barthalow, U.S.N., Asst' Paymaster H.Dial, U.S.N., and Chief Boatswain R.Rohange, U.S.N., left ship at 3:15 for U.S.Naval Hospital at Canacao, for medical examination prior to taking the physical test required by General Order No6, of January 4, 1909, and returned at 5:00.

The test was to walk 50 miles over 3 consecutive days.
A Navy history blog I found explains this as follows

Today's U.S. Navy espouses a "culture of fitness," and "physical readiness," but this was not
always so. In the early 1900s, many including the president himself, Theodore Roosevelt,
were appalled by the lack of physical conditioning in the Navy.

In his autobiography, Roosevelt wrote, "Many of the older officers were so unfit physically
that their condition would have excited laughter, had it not been so serious to think that they
belonged to the military arm of the Government."! Not being one to sit aimlessly aside on any issue of importance, Roosevelt charged forth with an attempt to change the desk- bound 
culture of the military. As a result he helped establish the forerunner of today's Physical
Readiness Training Program.

The new test gave officers the choice of completing one of three options: a fifty mile walk 
within three consecutive days and in total of twenty hours; a ride on horseback at a distance of ninety miles within three consecutive days; or a ride on a bicycle at a distance of 100 miles within three consecutive days. All personnel taking the test would be examined by a Navy Medical Board to determine whether the test may be taken without risk and report again to the board upon completion.  Officers would not be promoted unless they passed the exam and their medical record would now include a fitness report.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2017, 01:39:14 pm »
I suspect that the enlisted men enjoyed that ;)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2017, 05:04:15 pm »
When I was in the Canadian Armed Forces we had to run a mile and a half twice a year, coming in under some set time limit. Statistics Canada, or perhaps Sport Canada, sent someone to our base to ask a sample of us about our exercise habits. I was one of the randomly selected people. When asked what I did for regular exercise (weights, cycling, swimming etc), I said that I ran. When asked how far (marathon, half marathon, 10K, etc), I relied, "A mile and a half." "That's not very far," she said. "How often? Three times a week, twice a week, etc." "Once every six months," I said.

The interviewer said that wasn't regular exercise. I pointed out it was indeed regular, it just wasn't frequent!   ;D ;D ;D

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2017, 05:41:03 pm »
 ::) ;D

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2017, 09:01:29 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

(I exercise like crazy - few can click a pair of  knitting needles as fast as me on a good day  ;) )

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile