Author Topic: Can Excel Transcriptions Be Uploaded  (Read 1903 times)

137Dan

• View Profile
Can Excel Transcriptions Be Uploaded
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:43:33 am »
Ahoy Mates!  I just started transcribing my first page and found the process rather cumbersome.  I can transcribe and error check much more quickly by entering the information from the log into an Excel spreadsheet in one go instead of the step by step, line by line process on the website.  Is it possible to transcribe the entire page onto an Excel spreadsheet and then upload it?  Very interested in helping out.  Thanks  Dan

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can Excel Transcriptions Be Uploaded
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 12:20:54 pm »
I'm afraid that is not possible for the present, and I suspect that it would take a major redesign to do it.

Once you get used to them, the entry boxes aren't that hard to use. If you haven't already, have a look at: Guides for US logs: drawing entry boxes, transcribing and editing

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 01:59:14 pm »
Ahoy Mates!  I just started transcribing my first page and found the process rather cumbersome.  I can transcribe and error check much more quickly by entering the information from the log into an Excel spreadsheet in one go instead of the step by step, line by line process on the website.  Is it possible to transcribe the entire page onto an Excel spreadsheet and then upload it?  Very interested in helping out.  Thanks  Dan

Welcome to OW and the forum, 137Dan!

Each comment has to be put in it's own tab and box, such as "Location: Port name" or "Sea Ice", important for using the information into various databases during analysis by the science teams.  There's nothing against typing each entry on an outside doc and then copy/pasting it into the entry box, but be sure to use Notepad or set your font for strictly Text Only formatting; any formatting codes such as curly commas are not readable by the interface.  I find that method useful only when there are odd situations like paragraphs split between 2 different scans. 

Randi's advice is good, we have a number of good reference posts to help transcribers and like to answer questions.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 02:51:28 pm »

Hi 137Dan,
I am an excel fan of fans..it's a shame that there is no easy transfer between the two programs...never mind...the odd 'beset in pack ice', eating polar bears, mutinies, and trips to the ice cream factories of Puerto Rico will salve the pain. Enjoy!  ;D
Joan