Author Topic: Contradictory cloud/weather symbol entries  (Read 4389 times)

okopho

• View Profile
Contradictory cloud/weather symbol entries
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:07:32 pm »
The weather observations for 1am and 5am in this log seem a little contradictory - or maybe just hard to read.

To me, the weather symbol looks like "o.m" for 1am, but the dittos are interrupted by another "o.m" entry at 5am. Which seems inconsistent. But maybe I'm reading the 1am entry wrongly, because the two om's aren't written in the same way.

Also, the cloud symbol entry looks like "none" to me - which again seems inconsistent with the other entries. So maybe I'm reading that wrongly, as well.

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: Contradictory cloud/weather symbol entries
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:25:31 pm »
My guess is that he couldn't see the clouds because of the mist and the darkness. He probably should have left the cloud type blank. In any case, type what you see  ;)

okopho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:29:35 pm »
My guess is that he couldn't see the clouds because of the mist and the darkness. He probably should have left the cloud type blank. In any case, type what you see  ;)

Thanks - yes, that's more or less how I was thinking. Do you agree with my reading of the entries as "o.m" and "none"?

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:47:25 pm »
Yes.
The m looks a little strange, but by changing the last digit of the address from a 0 to a 1 (https://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jeannette/vol001of004/vol001_069_1.jpg), you can look at the remarks, and that says light mist.

o.m can be entered as om
The dots are optional.

olems

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 09:49:34 pm »
Looks like o.m. and none to me. The repeat of o.m. is probably due to the watch change at 4 - it's a different logkeeper. Thankfully it doesn't have to make sense, we type in what it looks like.

The weather code and cloud type was just meant to be a subjective indication of the weather at the time, so consistency is lacking. Very few of the officers seem to have spent much time looking into the details of the code letters. It's like they didn't expect that 130 years later people would be poring over their logs, trying to tabulate it all  ;D

okopho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:51:04 pm »
by changing the last digit of the address from a 0 to a 1 (https://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jeannette/vol001of004/vol001_069_1.jpg), you can look at the remarks, and that says light mist.

Aha, I hadn't thought of that - thanks for the tip!

okopho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:57:59 pm »
It's like they didn't expect that 130 years later people would be poring over their logs, trying to tabulate it all  ;D

Or maybe they were expecting it - but they just like messing with peoples' minds.  ;)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 01:50:03 am »
by changing the last digit of the address from a 0 to a 1 (https://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jeannette/vol001of004/vol001_069_1.jpg), you can look at the remarks, and that says light mist.

Aha, I hadn't thought of that - thanks for the tip!

Actually, walking the previous 3 digits to the "_0" or "_1" down or up will walk you through the log book from before to after this date if that helps read something.  The spread open book is scanned in order, each page going up +1 starting at 001.  Each scan then gets cut in 2 (_0, _1) so we can read it one page at a time. ;)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 07:56:14 am »
And sometimes you can change even more digits to go from log book to log book ;D - but that is far less reliable.

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 08:35:10 am »
... which again seems inconsistent with the other entries.

Remember it's a human being writing these log entries.
Humans are very prone to be inconsistent  :)

You will come across wrongly used weather and cloud codes, mixed up column use, clearly wrong digits in temperatures and pressures and what have you.

And remember that, even when you notice clearly wrong entries, you still have to keep to the Type What You See rule.

okopho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 07:15:38 pm »
... which again seems inconsistent with the other entries.

Remember it's a human being writing these log entries.

... and that it's a human being trying to read the log entries. With hindsight, this thread probably belongs in the Handwriting Help forum.

You will come across wrongly used weather and cloud codes, mixed up column use, clearly wrong digits in temperatures and pressures and what have you.

And remember that, even when you notice clearly wrong entries, you still have to keep to the Type What You See rule.

But you can't Type What You See until you've made a decision on what, exactly, it is that you are seeing.

I couldn't decide whether the entries were simply inconsistent, or whether I was reading them wrongly. Now that I've done a few more pages, though, I'm getting more used to the handwriting style, and starting to doubt my decisions a little less.

No doubt things will start to get even easier after another hundred or so pages. :)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 07:18:51 pm »
But you can't Type What You See until you've made a decision on what, exactly, it is that you are seeing.

I love Philip's response to all such worries:  Guess Extravagantly!  A wrong guess is much more informative than a "~" showing an illegible word.

;D

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 07:30:08 pm »
Yes, it really does get easier with practice.
NOTE: I said easier, not easy ;)

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 08:29:12 pm »
And just as you're really into it, you get a new log-keeper with a totally different handwriting.
Sometimes very readable, sometimes totally undecipherable. :P

Kathy

• In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 08:49:27 pm »
Doesn't get easier, only different!