Author Topic: Cloud Code Questions  (Read 11022 times)

philip.brohan

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
Re: Cloud Code Questions
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 11:50:15 am »
As far as I am concerned, "Cir-Cum" and "Cir Cum" are the same (as are "cir cum", "Cir:*!cum" and many other variants). So if the three entries are: "Cir-Cum", "Cir Cum", and "cir cum" that's three identical entries. For quantitative scientific terms I can usually allow for vagaries of formatting; I recommend using the drop-down, but feel free to TWYS.

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 12:37:31 pm »
That's good to know. Thanks, Philip.

jil

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 12:46:52 pm »
Phew! I started TWYS then thought perhaps the . between some of the entries on Jeannette is supposed to be a hyphen and started using the drop down, then changed my mind and went back to TWYS.

Indecisive, moi?  ;D

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 05:57:57 pm »
No, just a meticulous transcriber ;)

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 07:26:01 pm »
Thanks Phillip.

paging500

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 09:36:30 pm »
What should I do with an underline in the cloud code column?  Is that the same thing as leaving it blank?  Or does it mean something different?

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jeannette/vol001of004/vol001_108_0.jpg

Thanks!

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 09:46:30 pm »
I would just enter a underscore or minus sign. He is reporting fog, mist and snow when the '_' occurs, so I suspect this is his way of reporting that the sky is obscured by the fog, mist and/or snow so he can't tell what sort of clouds are up there. In modern usage the report would have an 'X' for the sky condition (instead of CLR, SCT, BKN or OVC) and something like F10 for Fog covering ten tenths of the sky.

Maybe other people have better ideas...

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 09:53:26 pm »
What he said.  I would treat the "_" as a different kind of ditto.  TWYS, both the dittos and the underlines.  The joy of that is then the scientists have to be the ones to read the log keeper's mind. ;)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 10:40:08 pm »
I don't think that it is a kind of ditto.

We have sometimes seen a check mark or a dash to indicate that a field was left 'blank' deliberately. As mapurves says, it occurs here in conjunction with fog or mist, so the log keeper is probably trying to indicate that he could not fill in the field.

As Janet and mapurves have said, you can just transcribe it as an underline.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 12:01:47 am »
Hi folks, I asked this question a few months back -perhaps before Christmas? Recipe was to log it as a dash. (Good grief - I remembered something!)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 12:34:29 am »
totally up to the transcriber, if it looks like an underline or like a dash.  :)

exim202

• Gnoseological concupiscence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2015, 06:17:00 pm »
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Commodore%20perry//Volumes/Seagate%20Backup%20Plus%20Drive/Arfon-JPEGS/RG26/COMMODORE%20PERRY//vol186/vol186_112_0.jpg
There are some non-standard cloud codes at 4 and 8 am. Can anyone help? I have TWIS as n.fr.w. I think I have seen the fr code before a couple of times, but can't remember where now  :(
Thanks.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2015, 06:31:23 pm »
Fracto-cumulus   Fc   ragged unorganized and unstructured puffs of cumulus cloud

It's on our Cloud Types Listed reference post, your log keeper just changed the abbreviation a bit.  :)

The 'w' defeats me, I've never seen that.  it is very clearly written, which makes it odd.

I googled "list of clouds" and got Wiki wall cloud
A wall cloud (or pedestal cloud) is a large, localized, persistent, and often abrupt lowering of cloud that develops beneath the surrounding base of a cumulonimbus cloud and from which sometimes forms tornadoes.[1] It is typically beneath the rain-free base (RFB)[2] portion of a thunderstorm, and indicates the area of the strongest updraft within a storm. Rotating wall clouds are an indication of a mesocyclone in a thunderstorm; most strong tornadoes form from these. Many wall clouds do not rotate, however.[3]

"A rain-free base with a wall cloud lowering in the foreground and precipitation in the background. Taken in Miami, Texas."
click to enlarge
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:45:13 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2015, 06:51:09 pm »

exim202

• Gnoseological concupiscence
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2015, 08:57:50 pm »
Mmm. It looks more like fr than fc to me, so maybe nimbus with fractus (fracto-nimbus) and a wall cloud underneath? I'll leave my original TWYS, then. I'm certainly learning more about clouds...