Author Topic: Weather reports not showing up in my count  (Read 2531 times)

stephaniewasek

• View Profile
Weather reports not showing up in my count
« on: February 10, 2013, 05:36:02 am »
Hello. I don't see this reported (recently anyhow): The count of my weather reports is about 63% of what it should be. Does the system update to be accurate periodically, or could this be attributable to something I've done (I've done all 24 hours on 24 pages of weather records).

I'm sorry to be a bother; I wouldn't mind if I weren't participating as part of a university project, which means I've got to be accurate in reporting back to my adviser.

Thanks.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Weather reports not showing up in my count
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 07:28:04 am »
Welcome to Old Weather, stephaniewasek.

If you are looking at your Zooniverse project page, I checked my own page before answering you, and my Phase 3 count dropped from 2800+ readings to 198 pages.  That is a change.

If you go to your OW Profile Page, you will get a list of every ship you have transcribed on, as well as links to your last 10 pages of transcriptions if you want to go back and make changes or additions.  (See drop-down menu under the user name in the blue box in upper right corner for that page as well as My Pages to view all transcribed pages.)  There is a paragraph at the top of every ship's transcription page that goes something like...
Janet's Patterson transcription page header:
431 weather reports on 58 pages contributed to this voyage. Your captain has contributed 5268 weather reports. Do more than them to be promoted to Captain!
I checked those numbers against the Patterson pages in My Pages, and the count on both readings and pages is very accurate.  Use those numbers for your school project records, taking it from each ship you worked on. 

Which ship(s) have those 24 pages come from?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:25:50 am by Janet Jaguar »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:33:03 am »
Welcome on board stephaniewasek!

It should be updated immediately, but the programming team has had to make a lot of changes for the American ships, so we have seen a few problems.

What ship(s) are you working on?

That's great that there is a university project relating to this! What university? What is the main interest?

Janet beat me to it ;)

NOTE: If you click "I've finished with this page" and then go into edit mode to add more weather reports these do not count towards your total.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:33:17 am by Randi »

stephaniewasek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:51:27 am »
Janet's Patterson transcription page header:
431 weather reports on 58 pages contributed to this voyage. Your captain has contributed 5268 weather reports. Do more than them to be promoted to Captain!

See, your count isn't accurate, either. If you did 58 pages on the Patterson (which I'm also working on), that's 29 log pages and 29 weather pages. Twenty-nine multiplied by 24 (weather reports per weather page) is 696 -- yours is off by 265. I'd say that's more than statistically significant.

All my pages are on the Patterson. At the time I reported this last week, I had done 24 log pages and 24 weather pages. I'm now at 64 (32/32), which should have me at 768 weather reports, but I'm showing 533 -- off by 235, which is similar to the number yours is off, so maybe it's to be expected that you'll lose 200+ in your count.

stephaniewasek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 03:56:03 am »
Welcome on board stephaniewasek!

It should be updated immediately, but the programming team has had to make a lot of changes for the American ships, so we have seen a few problems.

What ship(s) are you working on?

That's great that there is a university project relating to this! What university? What is the main interest?

Janet beat me to it ;)

NOTE: If you click "I've finished with this page" and then go into edit mode to add more weather reports these do not count towards your total.

Hi, Randi. I'm doing this as my independent study capstone for my degree in maritime studies from the University of West Florida. (It's my second degree; maritime history is just a hobby of mine. Well. I say "just.") I'm moving to London in a couple months and, when I get my three years in and can do resident uni fees, I might pursue the MA in maritime history at Greenwich.

Anyway, I'm hoping I get a good story out of the Patterson for the project, but it's not looking hopeful right now, in mid-September 1884. At the very least, I'm helping Old Weather out!

I guess it must be the exiting and going back that's killed my numbers. But you can't be sure of the dates for a given page without going to the log of events on the next page. Hurt by my striving for accuracy and thoroughness, I guess.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 06:29:11 am »
stephaniewasek, several thoughts.  Given your background, we are lucky to have you.

First, our pages are scanned while the logbooks are open, both pages being a single photo.  The computer cuts them in half afterwards for convenience (xxx_0 and XXX_1) but the ship's location on the first page and the date on the second are automatically assigned to all information on both pages.

Second, if the date isn't on the page, don't record it.  We go by TWYS.  It won't hurt if you are adding a separate tab for the date on the top, but neither is it good transcription.  But each entry can be only what is listed in the last tab you use.  The data in each tab must be it's own separately drawn entry area.  And data entered in edit mode don't get counted by the computer.  See Guides for US logs: drawing entry boxes, transcribing and editing and also Type What You See - Yes, but ...

Third, Patterson is not a good choice if you are looking for adventure.  She is a totally civilian Coast Survey ship, unconnected to any military or Coast Guard organization.  She will spend her whole life collecting careful weather and survey data to create the excellent charts used by the US Navy.  She is the ship to be with if your project wants to know how often they are out taking soundings and how often they send sea water samples to the lab for analysis.  If you want science, you are on the best.  If you want adventure in addition to climate readings, almost all our ships are more interesting.  The Bear and Thetis, for example start with their first year owned by the US Navy, going up to northern Greenland/Canada to rescue the Greely Expedition and then serving all kinds of emergencies in the Pacific arctic.  See * * * Index - Use this to find your Ship * * *

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/USS%20Bear/BEAR_1884a/b001of002_0103_0.jpg
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/USS%20Bear/BEAR_1884a/b001of002_0103_1.jpg

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:04:32 am »
I guess it must be the exiting and going back that's killed my numbers. But you can't be sure of the dates for a given page without going to the log of events on the next page. Hurt by my striving for accuracy and thoroughness, I guess.
I suspect that that is the problem.

Normally, the location is on the first page and the date is on the second. That is why the "Progress Bar" on the first page shows Location, Weather, Other, Finish. For some ships this is different. As Janet has noted, the info should always be transcribed on the page that it is on. If you look at the Reference pages for a ship (e.g., Patterson -- Reference: Transcription Example and Log Description), we try to explain how the pages should be transcribed.

P.S. Thetis is not available at the moment, but we will have more pages in the near future.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 09:31:12 am »
Hi Stephaniewasek,
Here's a trick to keep up your sleeve - I picked it up because I'm never quite sure if it's hazy (m) or dewy (w) on the Patterson.  When I open a new weather page I right click, copy the location and put that in another tab...then I just change the end of that location from 0 to 1. Eh Voila!   That way odd weird calligraphy can be straightened out without finishing your weather page, going to the next one, going back to the weather page and so losing all those stats of the hard work you've done.  I do this all the time now - it also helps entertain my mind when slogging through the 24 hour stuff.    On some of the boats (esp the Patterson) the log is bent over and on the misc events page you can't see the first letters.  However, you can just see those letters on the weather page, so before I leave the weather page I open up a text file, note the letters down and use them for the misc events page...I will probably now be told off for doing so...but I am undeterred.
Fantastic that you are studying OW. Good luck with it.  Wouldn't blame you for jumping ship though.  ;D
Joan

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:53:53 am »
Whoops! :-[ - I meant to include this in my previous post: How to look at log pages before and after the one you are working on
Thanks Joan ;)

Pre circa 1942, m - is misty or hazy: 1879 and 1922
By 1942, at least for some logs, m is misty and z is hazy: http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USRC%20Unalga/b0139_cr2_to_jpg/b0139_003_1.jpg

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 10:34:52 pm »

Pre circa 1942, m - is misty or hazy: 1879 and 1922
By 1942, at least for some logs, m is misty and z is hazy: http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USRC%20Unalga/b0139_cr2_to_jpg/b0139_003_1.jpg

Ohhhhh! THAT'S what the m/z  deal is. I thought I was going bonkers the other day. Someone had asked about z - and I couldn't see why I didn't see it that often. So, unlike m & z weather,  I can see it clearly now. ;D  ;)

nilremzo0

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 03:20:41 am »

I'm a Newbie on oW (Unalga I 05/05/1942), but I've worked on several other Zooniverse projects from time to time.  Now using IE9.  Have not used the Fora before.

So how do I exit gracefully from a partially completed page of weather reports without losing my work, so that I can come back and finish things up the next morning?  Is  "I've finished with this page", and its consequent non-counting of the rest of the weather reports, my only option?

This next question may be in the wrong thread.  Apologies in advance :-[.  8am, noon, 8pm, & sometimes other Lat/Long Positions are given, but times do not seem to be provided for on the Location tab.  I saw a post that said all such Positions can be transcribed, but how do I indicate the times?  Do I put the time in the Name space on the Location tab?

Thanks for your help.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 04:07:01 am »
I'm a Newbie on oW (Unalga I 05/05/1942), but I've worked on several other Zooniverse projects from time to time.  Now using IE9.  Have not used the Fora before.

Welcome to Old Weather and the forum.  Our work is rather more complicated than the other zoos, so we have prepared a number of reference posts giving help and advice to both newbies and veterans.  Many of them are in this index.  And many of us love to answer questions.  Ask away. :)

So how do I exit gracefully from a partially completed page of weather reports without losing my work, so that I can come back and finish things up the next morning?  Is  "I've finished with this page", and its consequent non-counting of the rest of the weather reports, my only option?

That's it, I'm afraid.  The interface does not have a lot of stretch in it, and wouldn't need it in the other zoos.  All of your pages remain available for correction is you wish.

An alternative way of counting your production that will not be thrown off by interrupting a page is to count your pages, instead of readings.  Your total page count is on your profile page (My Old Weather in the dropdown under your user name in upper right corner.)

This next question may be in the wrong thread.  Apologies in advance :-[.  8am, noon, 8pm, & sometimes other Lat/Long Positions are given, but times do not seem to be provided for on the Location tab.  I saw a post that said all such Positions can be transcribed, but how do I indicate the times?  Do I put the time in the Name space on the Location tab?

Thanks for your help.
Just transcribe what is on the page.  Everything about the American ships is more complicated.  We have been given what we can do by the interface, and the other awkwardnesses will be worried about by the analysis team. 

For lat/long readings the position on the page tells the team which lat/long time you are recording.  All such readings, unless ID'ed as observed, are dead reckoning. 

For place and port names, if it is a port where you are moored, just put the name only in "Port Name" place space.  If there is a description or statement such as, "On Passage from A to B" - and this might include time if that is written by the log keeper - type the whole phrase into "Place Name" place space.  Too many ships at sea can't give precise point location by name, this option allows flexibility.

Only one data entry in a single tab is possible for each entry.  Keep using new boxes for each new reading or paragraph.

And again, welcome. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 04:21:01 am by Janet Jaguar »