Author Topic: Entering both date and location  (Read 3590 times)

olems

• View Profile
Re: Entering both date and location
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 10:14:29 pm »
That language didn't make it clear to me.

In fact, the tutorial didn't make it clear that I had to create a new box for each log time entry.  I remember being very frustrated with that at the beginning and almost giving up.  I thought I should be able to just highlight the whole page and then enter the data like a spreadsheet.  Luckily (probably) I was intrigued enough by this project that I went to the forums and eventually figured out that each time entry required a new box, and that the box ideally should be about the size of one entry line.

For what it's worth, I had the exact same experience. Took me a bit of reading on the forum to figure out you were meant to make lots of little boxes and not just a big one for all the data.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 12:31:50 am »
Fair enough. I will change it to:

When you have entered all the data for the active tab, click OK.
The data for that tab is now saved.
Continue to open new entry boxes for the tabs that you require, enter the data and click OK.
When you have entered all the data available on the page, click 'I've finished with this page'.

Caro - I'm worried about this - because you could read it that you open a box per type of entry (tab) - one box to enter all sea ice info through out the page, another box to take all the animal events. What I see Asterix and Olems say is that  they needed to know that every single event or location  or person etc. needs to have its own box - so the page could look littered with boxes at the end.  Or have I got this all wrong...ummm... 

asterix135

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 02:54:22 am »
You've got it exactly right Avast.

It was not at all clear that I needed to make oodles of little boxes.  The first problem, as I mentioned above, was that I expected to enter the weather info in spreadsheet format - not one new box per hour (the weather tab kinda looks like the first line of a spreadsheet to me).  The multiplicity of boxes thing didn't even occur to me.  And then there was my whole confusion with not allowing multiple tabs per box.

I played around with trying to enter multiple hours of weather data for a bit, thought "this interface is f&?%ed" and almost quit.  But I was intrigued enough that I went poking around the boards trying to figure out what to do.  That wasn't easy either and again almost prompted me to quit.  I imagine other potential recruits are facing the same situation.

It would probably be interesting for somebody to look at your non-converted transcribers (people who stop in, try it out and leave) and follow up to see what kept them from sticking around.  I would imagine that interface confusion loses you a few people that might convert to reliable transcribers.

The tutorial could probably use some help.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 03:16:16 am »
May I make a suggestion?  The mods have been kicking around ideas for revising the Guide, with a wide variety of equal suggestions, none of which we are in love with.  It would be more helpful to construct suggestions you'd like to use than critique what you don't.  As a group, the forum usually does things very well.

Bear in mind we are trying to correct this one small item, we really don't want to completely rewrite Caro's whole Guide.

And the mods wrote the current tutorial also, and each of those boxes has a limit of 240 characters - long prose won't fit.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 07:53:15 am »

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 08:17:48 am »
Fair enough. I will change it to:

When you have entered all the data for the active tab, click OK.
The data for that tab is now saved.
Continue to open new entry boxes for the tabs that you require, enter the data and click OK.
When you have entered all the data available on the page, click 'I've finished with this page'.

Caro - I'm worried about this - because you could read it that you open a box per type of entry (tab) - one box to enter all sea ice info through out the page, another box to take all the animal events. What I see Asterix and Olems say is that  they needed to know that every single event or location  or person etc. needs to have its own box - so the page could look littered with boxes at the end.  Or have I got this all wrong...ummm...

I see what you mean. I will try again (thanks to Randi for illustrations). How's this?

As you move down the log page, open a separate entry box for each piece of information that you wish to record.
Open separate boxes to record Date, Location, and each set of Weather Observations, as well as data for any of the other tabs.
Open the appropriate tab for each one, enter the data and click OK to save.

Your weather page could look like this when finished:        and your Miscellaneous Events page could look like this:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:51:05 am by Caro »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 11:10:32 am »
Caro,

I don't see the images, and when I past the link (https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=81780df6b5&view=att&th=13cd0b42c20bd769&attid=0.2&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1) into a tab, I get a gmail screen asking me to log in :'(

The pages are attached here: http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=3068.msg61788#msg61788
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:12:03 am by Randi »

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 11:28:06 am »
Hold on.  ;D
I need to make copies because they are attachments.

Did I mention rough copies?

PS In case anyone is wondering what I'm talking about, attachments are not visible to forum guests.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:18:32 pm by Caro »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 11:48:57 am »
Yes ;D :-*

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 08:57:11 pm »
I like it!  ;D ;D ;D   We need to tweak the main OW tutorial for newbies in just the same way - I've got some stuff jotted down - more to come later.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 09:00:20 pm »
PS In case anyone is wondering what I'm talking about, attachments are not visible to forum guests.

:o :o :o
 :P :P :P

I didn't know that!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 11:52:09 pm »
Neither did I. ::)