Author Topic: USN and RN books and WW I movie update  (Read 6761 times)

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
USN and RN books and WW I movie update
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:38:58 am »
During the periods the US ships were in commision the US was involved in a number of wars ect here are some books on them:
Spainish American war:
Empire by Default Ivan Muscant
The Spainish War G.J.A. O'toole
Manila and Santiago Jim Leeke
The Splendid Little war Frank Freidal
The Spainish American War and the Phillipine Insurection Alejivarg Guesada
The Devil's Causeway Mathen Wastams

The Boxer rebelion:
Peking 1900: The Boxer Rebelion Peter Harrington
The Boxer Rebelion The great game in China David J Sibley
The Boxer Rebleion Lynn Bodin
The Siege at peking peter Fleming

Phillipine Insurection:
Schoolbooks and Krags John M. Gates
The Philipine Insurection against the US (5 volumes) John R.M. Taylor
Benevolent Assimilation Stuart  C. Miller
Little Brown Brother Leon Wolff
The Moro War James R Arnold
Moroland Robert a Fulton
The Devil's Causeway mathen watams

I realize that there are many people who have not heard of Philippine Insurrection, even some Americans. It was an insurgency fought by the US  from 1899 to 1913 which the US won. Note, some aspects of this war will be upsetting to some people.
end of part one
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:53:43 am by Caro »

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
Re: USN and RN books and WW I movie update
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 02:51:22 am »
WW I movies i have found recently on youtube:
Fraulien Doktor
Admiral (Russian with Subtitles)
Passchendaele
The Lost Battalion

The Royal Navy A History 7 volumes William L Clowes volume 7 deals with the 1857-1901 period
The Little wars of the US R. Ernst Dupey
Crisis at Sea: The United states Navy in European waters in WW I William N Still Jr
America's black Sea Fleet: The US navy admist War and Revolution 1919-1923 Ray Shenk
 i have not been able to find any books that deal with the RN in the Black Sea during this period. At least one of the RN ships did operate there. However there is an artical in "Warship International" magazine David Snook "British Naval Operations in the Black sea 1918-1920" Part i No1, 1989 and Part II No4, 1989 that deals with this subject.
 i hope this is of some use.

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 12:50:26 am »
These are some books on the USN:
Africa Squadronthe US navy and the Slave trade 1842-1861 Donald E Canney
Lincoln's navy The Ships, men and organization 1861-1865
the Old Steam navy Volume 1 Frigates, Sloops, Gunbats 1815-1885
The Old Steam navy Volume 2 the Ironclads 1842-1885
Sailing warships of the US navy
US Coast guard and Revenue Cutters 1790-1935

Mr Lincoln's Admirals C. E. McCartney
Union Jacks Yankee Sailors in the Civil War Michael j Bennet
Mr Lincoln's navy Richard S West
life in Mr Lincoln's Navy Dennis J Ringle

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:28:20 am »
2 WW I movies on youtube:
Flight Commander (1930)
Canakkale 1915 a Turkish movie on the Gallipoli campaign. It 's pronounced cha-NAKK-alay. Around 3/4s of the way through is when they have scenes of the battleship Goliath being sunk by a Turkish destroyer. This was one of the HM ships logs we worked on

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 12:50:35 am »
A couple of books on the Coast guard:
The United States Coast Guard in World War II Malcolm F Willoughey
Osprey has a book of the same title by Alejandro De Quesida

Swashbuckler and pre 1900s war films on youtube:
The bucanneers
The Vikings
Taras bulba
1612 (Russian with subtitles)
Zulu
Zulu dawn

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 04:02:44 am »
There is a book "Aye Aye Sir a Saga of the Lower Deck" by a stoker who was on the Armored Cruiser Achilles when she sank the Leopold this was one of the first ships logs we completed.

jil

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 08:34:58 am »
As the editor of Achilles that sounds very interesting!

A bit of searching about has so far failed to turn up a copy of the book on-line (or for sale) but a bit more info. The author used the pseudonym Clinker Knocker, from http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com forum
He gives a wonderful account of life in an Armored Cruiser on the Northern Patrol and some humorous insight into the personality of officers and men. A rare thing for such a lucid account coming from the lower deck at that period in history.

And a slightly snooty review from The Spectator when the book was originally released.

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 11:51:08 pm »
I have some more books some of you might find interesting:
At Sea in the great war as a hostility Bastard Joesph Hird About lower deck life in the RN in WW I
Seaplanes of Bocche The story of Austro-Hungarian naval aviation in the southern Adriatic 1913-1918. A few of the ships logs we have done did serve in the Adriatic and did get attacked by Austro-Hungarian aircraft.

Archive.org has two old books about the artic
Two years in the Alaska Gold Fields
Canadian wilds

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 10:12:43 pm »
A number of the RN ships we worked on took part in the East African campaign. On the Great war fourms Sub Sarhara Africa section the have a listing of online books to read including:
Military Operations: East Africa Volume 1 August 1914-September 1916 Charles Horden (Note Volume II was not completed or published)
War in the Air Volume III H.A. Jones this and the other 5 volumes of War in the Air are on Archive.org they were written by walter A Raliegh

I hope this is of some interest. I sometimes think I spent enough time off East Africa to qualify for a campaign medal!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 11:30:33 pm »
Thanks, James.  :)

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 07:43:50 pm »
I am glad you liked my info JJ. I have some more:

On the great war forum ships and navies sections The 1927 silent movie The Battles of Coronel and Falkland Islands has been rereleased. It will be out on DVD one day. 

Other WW I movie updates:
The miniseries The Fall of Eagles is on youtube

There is a Russian movie on Rasputin filming. There are reports of a US movie on him with Leonardo Di Caprio  playing him. Note Leo is growing a beard and there is talk of a FX miniseries on him

For more on Rasputin I recommend the following books:
"The Murder of Grigory Rasputin" Margarita Nelpa most detailed account of Rasputin's murder you might call it Rasputin CSI
"Prelude to the Revolution the Murder of Rasputin" Ron Moe
"Rasputin and the Jews" Delin Colon

HMS Cresent log reports: The Russian Royal (Imperial) Yacht Standart arrived at Portsmouth 30 June 1914 and left 3 July 1914

I hope everyone will find this interesting

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 12:12:25 am »
On archive.org there is The Mad Mullah of Somaliland by Jardine Douglas one of the ships we did the logs of HMS Odin took part in one of the campaigns against him.  also see the great war forums sub sarahan Africa section for an account of the 1914-15 campaign against him and other colonial actions.

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 11:39:29 am »
On archive.org there is The Mad Mullah of Somaliland by Jardine Douglas one of the ships we did the logs of HMS Odin took part in one of the campaigns against him.  also see the great war forums sub sarahan Africa section for an account of the 1914-15 campaign against him and other colonial actions.

HMS Odin was not the only one of our ships involved although she may be the only one for which we have transcribed and edited logs of the period. Odin's log (http://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-18-HMS_Odin4.htm) reports that she was off the coast of Somalia with HMS Ark Royal (an early version, but already an aircraft carrier) and HMS Clio in January 1920 when the final push against the "Dervishes" lead by Mohammed Abdullah Hassan took place.

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 03:19:36 pm »

HMS Odin was not the only one of our ships involved although she may be the only one for which we have transcribed and edited logs of the period. Odin's log (http://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-18-HMS_Odin4.htm) reports that she was off the coast of Somalia with HMS Ark Royal (an early version, but already an aircraft carrier) and HMS Clio in January 1920 when the final push against the "Dervishes" lead by Mohammed Abdullah Hassan took place.

I did Logs for Ark Royal. My 'Ship's List' shows that Ark Royal met Odin but I'm not having much luck finding the 'exact date.' I'll keep searching.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 07:39:50 pm »
I used Maikel's Journey Plotter to look at when the ships were near Somalia.

Odin was there off-and-on between January 1917 and March 1920 - she logged seeing Ark Royal on 6 dates.
Ark Royal was there very briefly in January and early February 1920 - she logged seeing Odin on 5 dates.