Author Topic: USN and RN books and WW I movie update  (Read 7344 times)

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
Re: USN and RN books and WW I movie update
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 12:12:06 am »
Thanks for the extra information. There is mentioned in the book of other HMS ships involved in pre-ww I campaigns against the Mad Mullah. I am not sure any were ones we did the logs of. The book "Royal Navy Aircraft Serials and Units 1911-1919" by R Sturtivant and G Page lists the aircraft of the RNAS and an account of the service. This might be of interest if you want to find out more about the aircraft operated by the Ark Royal and other ships we did the logs of. Also online at the awm.gov.au are the Austrailian official histories online. Note the centennial of the Gallipoli campaign is coming up.

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 11:29:55 pm »
At hathitrust.org they have all 4 volumes of the British official history: The Campaign in Mesopotmia 1914-1918" by Frederick J Moberly some of the ships we did the logs of saw service in this campaign and should be mentioned in volume 1

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 12:30:58 am »
WWI movie uedate:
new:
The Water Diviner
Gaiipoli End of the Road
The Children of canakkale
Testiment of Youth
old
Mordenrot (1933 German)

on youtube:
Lenin in 1918 (Soviet 1940s film)
Russia's Lost princesses (documentary on the daughters of the last Tsar)

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 10:26:56 pm »
I found a book I wish I had found out about a few years earlier: "Scrimgeour's Small Scribbling Diary 1914-1916" by Alexander Scrimgeour. It's his daily diary he kept during this period He served on HMS Crescent, Alsatian and Invincible where he was in A turret and killed at Jutland when the ship was sunk. The first and third ships we did the logs of. I think someone on this site comments on the food. He points out for awhile the crew of the Crescent was eating a 18th century diet of salt pork and ship's biscuit and came close to sinking in a late 1914 storm. I hope this is of some interest.

more WW I movies:
Chapaev
Battleship Potemkin
A clip from we are from Kronstadt

The sinking of the Lusitania (2007)
a film clip of the Lusitania as she began her last voyage

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 10:50:20 pm »
Sounds a very interesting book - unfortunately published too recently to be in ebook form.  Thanks, James.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 10:50:46 pm »
It was mentioned a few years earlier ;)
I've just finished reading "Scrimgeour's Small Scribbling Diary 1914-1916".  Alexander Scrimgeour was a midshipman who served on the Crescent, the Alsatian and the Invincible.  He was killed at Jutland at the age of 19.  This book brings together his wartime diaries and his letters home.  It's a fascinating account of both life on board ship and the social life of a young Edwardian gentleman.  An ideal Christmas present for the OW addict in your life! (And that's probably you. isn't it?  ;D )

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 10:34:34 pm »
I have written 3 articles that have been published in Over the Front magazine they are:

"Attack on the Slava" OTF 30-1 Spring 2015 deals with the air attacks on the Russian Battleship Slava in WW I. lets just say this ship was a real "bomb magnet"

"B-Boats vs L-planes in the Adriatic" OTF 23-1 Spring 2008  deals with the operations of the RNs B-class submarines in the Adriatic  and theoir run ins with Austrian L-class seaplanes note the B-10 was damaged beyond repair most likely a L- series seaplane making it the first submarine in history lost do to air attack.

"The Mexican Punitive Expedition" OTF 20-1 Spring 2005 deal with the US 1st aero squadron during the Pershing Punitive Expedition into Mexico in 1916

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 12:53:08 am »
on you tube documentaries on hunt for the Kaisers's cruisers on the Emden and Dresden

Online reads on archive.org:

Der krieg inder ostsee 3 vols

Kreuzerkrieg in den Ausland Ischen Gewasser 3 vols

In german only I found this on the aerodrome.com

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 08:30:34 pm »
haititrust.org now has online the book "Military operations Togoland and the Cameroons 1914-1916" which deals with the campaigns there. I believe at least one or more ships we did the logs of were involved in these campaigns.

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 08:12:47 pm »
On the WW I Centenary section on 27 Feb 2016 there is a post on navalhistory.org dealing with the Russian Imperial Navy here are some books on this organization:

Russo-Japanese War:
The Tsar's last Armada
The Fleet the had to Die both on the Russian Baltic Fleet and its voyage to the Far East and destruction at the Battle of Tsushima
Tide at Sunrise on the R-J war

online:
russojapaneswar.com
allworldwars.com has some articles on this war

WW I:
Expendable glory
North of Galipoli
The Russian Fleet in war and revolution 1914-1918

Mutinies:
Red Mutiny on the Potemkin Mutiny
Sailors in Revolt
The Russian Revolution and the Baltic Fleet

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 09:14:30 pm »
Thank you James. This all sounds very fascinating. Certainly my history education did not go as far as looking at wars that affected the world greatly, but did not involve the English speaking nations.  :-\

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 12:43:52 am »
Glad to be of help. I have some more:

Osprey Russian Battleships Vs Japanese Battleships Yellow Sea (Duel)
The Russian Fleet 1914-1917
archive.org has Survival Through War and revolution in Russia by Dmitri Fedoroff-White.

kaiserscross.com has sections called Harry's Africa and Harry's sideshow about all sorts of campaigns, battles and units. Some of which like the articles on the Mad Mullah of Somaliland some of the ships we did the logs of were involved

WW I era movies on youtube update:
The Last Command 1928
White Sun of the Desert
October ten days that shook the world

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 10:45:18 pm »
Some more:

Warship 2005 has a number of articles dealing with the battle of Tsushima other issues of the magazine have articles that deal with Russian ships and battles.

Russian and Soviet battleships

Naval history of WWI

movie:
Lenin the Train

Comments:
the Russian Imperial navy would have raised some eyebrows of some people on this site at one time. It sometimes looks like it was made up of:
Officers a collection of upper class incompetents more than a few of which are non Russian who "lead' their men to disaster.
Men a group of conscripts who are brutally treated and badly fed who are being "lead" in wars they have no idea what they are about by the above incompetents. One wonders why the fleet didn't have more "trouble" add to this the other things going on it comes as no surprise there was a revolution in Russia.

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 09:07:38 pm »
Not a movie but a 24 minute online account of the Battle of Jutland that is quite good:

Battle of Jutland Animated on Vimeo

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2016, 05:45:26 pm »
more WW I movies:

rereleased:
Verdun: Looking at history (1928 silent)

on youtube:
March on the Drina (Yugoslav film on 1914 battle of Cer)