Author Topic: People using our results  (Read 1369 times)

philip.brohan

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
People using our results
« on: March 01, 2013, 11:27:01 am »
We've produced an impressive batch of results since we started the project, and I'm sometimes asked what, exactly is being done with them all. Some of the results, like those I've posted on the blog, and the ship histories on navalhistory.net, you already know about, but we are starting to have a much wider impact.

Weather & Climate:

There are at least 5 major climate reconstructions currently in progress using our new weather observations:

Ship histories:

New museum exhibits inspired by or involving our work are in planning or preparation at:

Rule one of any project is "It always takes longer than you think - even after allowing for rule one", and that's certainly true here - none of this work is finished yet. But we've plenty to look forward to, and I'm confident that even more uses will emerge.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:03:29 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Helen J

• Ship history editors
    • View Profile
Re: People using our results
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 12:38:48 pm »
That's really great to know Philip - should send us all back to transcribing with renewed vigour!

propriome

• Database testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 12:39:14 pm »
 :D :D

It's always a great feeling to discover that all the hard work everyone is doing here (from the trascribers to moderators, historians, and all the people involved) is relevant and useful for so many other projects around the world... it makes feel us even more proud of all of our efforts!

Thanks for sharing this philip!! And congrats to all OW!

:D :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:40:55 pm by propriome »

studentforever

• Ship history editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:10:26 pm »
Great news. Having done a few blocks of ship history I am conscious of the number of days of weather which either do not have a location or where the location is inaccurate and I hope that a mechanism exists to add in our 'improved' location data to the various databases so that the weather transcriptions can be used to their full value.

I must admit that I find more affinity with our RN data than the North American ships and would put in a plea for some WW2 data to become available for the 75th anniversary of the outbreak of that war. Just a thought.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • The sea is large; it knows more than any of us.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:24:15 pm »
I must admit that I find more affinity with our RN data than the North American ships and would put in a plea for some WW2 data to become available for the 75th anniversary of the outbreak of that war. Just a thought.

See Unalga I - http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=3332.msg55796#msg55796

And  since she spent WW2 in the Caribbean, I wouldn't be surprised if another ship shows up who did the arctic during that war.

Kathy

• Ship history editors
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 02:56:22 pm »
SODA -

Go Aggies  ;D

(Even though, I'm a Longhorn fan myself!)

AND the Mighty Terps!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:58:18 pm by Kathy »

jil

• Ship history editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 04:52:38 pm »
Thanks for the update! Please let us know if you hear more about the museum exhibits, it would be great to be able to visit them.

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. L. MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 05:28:48 pm »
That's great news, Philip. Thanks.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 06:06:22 pm »
Thanks for the update Philip!

AvastMH

• Database testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 07:43:01 pm »
Cor - I didn't realize quite how much we were being used (which is, btw, a sign of OW addiction - didn't get snout out of OW bucket to notice that world still rotates  ::))
How on earth do you keep up with it all Philip?
You're doing a great job.
I feel proud to be involved.

Craig

• Database testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 08:21:57 pm »
It's very interesting to read about the applications of the OW data. Thanks for this, Philip!

Dean

• Ship history editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 12:58:12 am »
Cor - I didn't realize quite how much we were being used (which is, btw, a sign of OW addiction - didn't get snout out of OW bucket to notice that world still rotates  ::))
How on earth do you keep up with it all Philip?
You're doing a great job.
I feel proud to be involved.

Of COURSE the world rotates Joan. It rotates around US!!! ;D ;D (Actually it REVOLVES around US - it rotates itself! ;))

An HONOUR and a PRIVILEGE to be associated with you, Philip. And ALL my OW friends! I have learned much and feel humbled to know what we have contributed to the World supply of knowledge!