Author Topic: All hands: Meet-up in Oxford June 22nd  (Read 4263 times)

philip.brohan

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
All hands: Meet-up in Oxford June 22nd
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:48:09 pm »
What are you doing on Saturday June 22nd? May I suggest a visit to one of the UK's great University cities? In the morning you could visit the Ashmolean Museum or the Bodleian Library (I don't think they've got any logbooks, but it's worth a look); and in the afternoon you could join up with many other Zooniverse volunteers (Planet Hunters, Moon Mappers, Galaxy groupers, and others) for ZooCon13.

I think you all know that oldWeather is part of the wider Zooniverse group of Citizen Science projects, and we're having a meet-up for participants in any of those projects. There will be presentations showing the new results from several projects (including oldWeather) and then a trip to the Pub. I'll be there, and I hope to meet some of you in person.

I know that some of you live too far from Oxford for an afternoon out - even with the prospect of meeting other oW-ites. But if you can come, please register on the event web-site at http://zoocon2013.eventbrite.co.uk (we need to know who's coming to meet fire/security restrictions and to make sure the Royal Oak lays in enough grog.)

Philip

zookeeperChris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Zooniverse
Re: All hands: Meet-up in Oxford June 22nd
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:11:45 pm »
Just to add that we will try to stream the conference live, but we haven't experimented yet so don't know what's possible.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:15:58 pm »
I'll be there!  Advice on what to do in Oxford if you arrive in the morning - available from yours truly.  If anyone would like to come from a distance and needs to stay overnight/s then let me know - I can probably put 2 people up (though I do also have 2 tents for the hardy).  Don't expect the Ritz though.  ;D ::)

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:09:16 pm »
GRRRR!  Despite living very close to Oxford I won't be able to come - I'm away on retreat.  Really sorry to miss it - it would have been great to meet some of you in the flesh.  Perhaps another year ....

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:39:55 pm »
GRRRR!  Despite living very close to Oxford I won't be able to come - I'm away on retreat.  Really sorry to miss it - it would have been great to meet some of you in the flesh.  Perhaps another year ....
:'( :'(  I'm sorry that you cannot be there Helen, especially as you are so close. Retreat is an important thing though...where is your retreat?

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 05:27:22 am »
Just to add that we will try to stream the conference live, but we haven't experimented yet so don't know what's possible.

Those of us on THIS side of the Pond will be MOST appreciative (and Happy! ;D) if that can be accomplished!!  :)

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 12:41:49 pm »
:'( :'(  I'm sorry that you cannot be there Helen, especially as you are so close. Retreat is an important thing though...where is your retreat?

I'm off to stay at a Franciscan brothers' house in Worcestershire - a beautiful place to stay, especially in the summer.  It's up a track in the middle of fields, and wonderfully quiet.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 12:59:32 pm »

I'm off to stay at a Franciscan brothers' house in Worcestershire - a beautiful place to stay, especially in the summer.  It's up a track in the middle of fields, and wonderfully quiet.
Sounds idyllic for some quiet time! :D

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 01:43:33 pm »
Remembering Francis & his love of animals, I hope the weather is suitable for you to enjoy the outdoors and wildlife.  It should really help prepare you for your 'big day'.  Will you be attached to a parish or be peripatetic after ordination.

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 03:21:51 pm »
I was wondering which Friary is where the ordination will happen -

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 08:05:41 pm »
Kathy - I'm going to be ordained at Hilfield Friary in Dorset - it has a bigger chapel than the one were I'm going on retreat.

And after ordination I'll be attached to a parish to do my curacy - but unpaid and part time, so I'll be travelling around too, with my Franciscan sister hat on!

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 09:08:10 pm »
Glad to be able to share something of this adventure with you.  I do hope that all goes well for you and that you find your curacy an illuminating and rewarding experience.  Thanks for sharing with us.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 09:10:05 pm »
I'll second that Studentforever

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 11:35:15 pm »
Helenj - I've found a whole new way of dealing with religious matters from the transcription notes of the Acacia for 5th December 1916. This is what I read:

'Fired two rounds blanks
reformed 2nd division' 

I'm not encouraging you in any way to try this out of course! ;D

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 07:28:33 am »
 ;D

Just remember that they were blanks...