Author Topic: OW Speaker's Bureau - Have PowerPoint, will Travel  (Read 27861 times)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: OW Speaker's Bureau - Have PowerPoint, will Travel
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 08:14:33 pm »
LOVED the bad writing - never seen that lot before - they are wonderfully ghastly!
Thanks for all your ideas everyone.
I'm doing a selection of lost overboards. There will also be a selection of RIPs. I'm going to match the Jeanette's hole with the blog that had the scarey sea ice creaking in it (thanks for that reference Craig!).
I'll probably raid OW addiction. And show off the new Geographical boards.
More to come - keep ideas rolling in..
THANK YOU TO ALL!!
:-*

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 08:49:56 pm »
How long is your presentation, Joan? It sounds like you already have enough to keep them entertained for at least an hour.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 09:29:39 pm »
Addiction topic and mondegreens ;D

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 12:00:41 am »
I did the first 'talk' last week to a Men's Group who were more interested in the 'history' than the weather. Tomorrow I talk to the local chapter of the American Meteorological Society(of which I am a member). THEY will be most interested in the 'weather' parts. The first place had no Internet so I built a PowerPoint and took all my stuff on a flash drive. This one will be at a University so I'll have access to some of our stuff.  Both talks about an hour in length with questions and answers.

I'm more than glad to share the PowerPoint if any one is interested. I guess PM me and send an email address as I believe it's too large to post here.

lollia paolina

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 08:16:42 am »
Hi joan,
possibly something about Natural Phenomena could be another chapter of your presentation.
I was thinking of Aurora Borealis or phosphorescence of sea, but in Odl Weather natural Phenaomena thread there is a complete list :)

http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=384.0

As regards history of ships, I read that HMS Teutonic missed a huge iceberg in 1913.

"In October, 1913, the ship narrowly avoided the same fate as the Titanic when, at 172 miles east of Belle Isle off the Newfoundland coast, it ran so close to an iceberg that it avoided collision only by reversing its engines and putting the helm hard aport. According to the October 29, 1918 issue of the Chicago Tribune, "the liner passed within twenty feet of the iceberg. The fog was so thick that even at that small distance the berg could scarcely be distinguished. It was so close that there was danger that the propeller of the ship would strike it as the vessel went around. The passengers were not aware of their peril until it had been averted. They signed a testimonial to the captain and his officers expressing their gratitude and admiration for the care and skill displayed by them."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Teutonic

http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=44.15

I think the issue of Chicago Tribune should be October 1913 (and not 1918 as in Wikipedia text).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:33:01 am by lollia paolina »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 08:46:49 am »
How long is your presentation, Joan? It sounds like you already have enough to keep them entertained for at least an hour.

that's a good point Craig - about 20 minutes!
My system will be to:
spend 2 minutes explaining Zooniverse and how the citizen scientist helps the academic world (so I'll quickly mention the galaxy counters, Serengeti, and a couple more) on one slide to show what's going on.
Then I'll focus in on Old Weather and explain that it provides both climate and history information as well as a great deal of entertainment for us. I will show those elements on one slide, then focus in on collecting weather data -how it works (2 out of 3 agree on each piece of weather detail), where it goes to (back through Philip), mentioning BOINC for processing the mass of data that we have provided.  Then I'll go back to what we are collecting - weather, natural phenomena (a chance to mention the other zooniverses that have used our info - and the solar scientists now after the aurora stuff), ice (I'll certainly include that creaky ice blog along with the story of the holed Jeanette).  The I'll do a history thread, dragging in some of the funnier and more poignant bits from the logs. I'll also mention that we are also being studied by someone - and I'll use some of OW addiction thread for that.. Other things suggested here will be very useful for the desk area that I get later in the afternoon...lots of stories - I'll have a daring-do page, milk in the Pearl River and other lost overboards page, a few mondegreens etc . I'll also print up a large A) sized chart of how we fit into Zooniverse, and all of our 'spin-offs' (weather, nat phenom, solar info, history etc etc).
And I'm going to print out some wee business cards with the oW logo on so that those interested to join in don't have to go searching around for it. If I can get on with it quickly this weekend I'll put all the stuff up on oW for comments.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 08:48:54 am »
Hi joan,
possibly something about Natural Phenomena could be another chapter of your presentation.
I was thinking of Aurora Borealis or phosphorescence of sea, but in Odl Weather natural Phenaomena thread there is a complete list :)

http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=384.0

As regards history of ships, I read that HMS Teutonic missed a huge iceberg in 1913.

"In October, 1913, the ship narrowly avoided the same fate as the Titanic when, at 172 miles east of Belle Isle off the Newfoundland coast, it ran so close to an iceberg that it avoided collision only by reversing its engines and putting the helm hard aport. According to the October 29, 1918 issue of the Chicago Tribune, "the liner passed within twenty feet of the iceberg. The fog was so thick that even at that small distance the berg could scarcely be distinguished. It was so close that there was danger that the propeller of the ship would strike it as the vessel went around. The passengers were not aware of their peril until it had been averted. They signed a testimonial to the captain and his officers expressing their gratitude and admiration for the care and skill displayed by them."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Teutonic

http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=44.15

I think the issue of Chicago Tribune should be October 1913 (and not 1918 as in Wikipedia text).

Thanks for this Sylvia,  that's just what I need for the exciting side of it!

J ;D ;D ;D

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 09:11:56 am »
"...According to the October 29, 1918 issue of the Chicago Tribune,..."

I googled to confirm this, and then corrected the Wiki text.  It now reads, "...According to the October 29, 1913 issue of the Chicago Tribune,..."

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 10:25:50 am »
Maybe stating the obvious, but perhaps add one of those legend pages that explain wind and weather codes?
And maybe a compass rose?

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 10:45:42 am »
Maybe stating the obvious, but perhaps add one of those legend pages that explain wind and weather codes?
Great idea!  Thanks.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 12:09:23 pm »
Great idea!  Thanks.

Remember you can use all of these:
HELPFUL REFERENCE POSTS

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 12:24:08 pm »
mentioning BOINC for processing the mass of data that we have provided.

I'd like to second Randi's recommendation of climateprediction.net. It's a different sort of citizen science (your computer does the work, not you) but it's just as valuable as OldWeather in extending our understanding of how the climate works. Give it a try - you could participate in CPDN and OldWeather at the same time - your computer can be simulating the climate of the future while you read the logbooks and recover the climate of the past.

It's not likely that we'll be using CPDN for building the weather reconstructions anytime soon - technical issues make the problem more suited to conventional supercomputers - but I am thinking about it.

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 10:01:25 pm »
Hi Joan

You mention adding something from the addictions and/or mondegreens threads. At Phillips talk in Exeter he showed Jenfurr's entry in the addictions thread about contractions. Went down very well. http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=1432.msg25349#msg25349

Best of luck

K

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 10:13:19 pm »
That does indeed demonstrate the ultimate in addiction. ;D

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 10:38:40 pm »
Then, there's always the ant's nest in the barometer ;)
http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=1844.msg26299#msg26299