Author Topic: OW Speaker's Bureau - Have PowerPoint, will Travel  (Read 28640 times)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: OW Speaker's Bureau - Have PowerPoint, will Travel
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2015, 10:52:24 pm »
Had a totally brilliant day - Thanks Paula, Jo and Yuwei at Sheffield!  OW rocked the crowd - just hope that we gather a few new friends :-)  Did some business cards with images from the talk and Paula Goodale will spin them around some archivists - I hope that the scribe from the Jamestown will lure them in with that super-script ;-)
Tomorrow I'll put a ref to the 'lifeofdata' website - there's an interesting section covering oldweather and there's a chance to respond to that information, and to some responses already popped in.
Didn't quite get to the raspberry pi weather station - but I'll look that up. The AirQuality speaker, Danny Antrobus, was fascinating with the tale of local weather assessments in Sheffield.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your excellent ideas and support.  ;D
More tomorrow when I've refreshed my brain after today's work-out  ;D

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2015, 11:13:17 pm »
We thank you, Joan, for putting together such a good presentation! :)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2015, 07:18:35 am »
Indeed, thank YOU, Joan ;D

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2015, 09:44:52 pm »
Hi folks...here's more about the day on Monday. I'd be very grateful if you could think and, if you wish, comment on their website with reference to the capitalized questions below

The whole day was an event called
'The Secret Life of a Weather Datum'
Here is the blog for the web site launch: https://secretlifeofdata.wordpress.com/2015/03/04/web-site-online-launch/

"On the 16th March we are hosting an end-of-project event at the Information School in Sheffield. Participants include representatives from academic research, education, citizen science and more:  http://lifeofdata.org.uk/category/news/"
This blog features information about Sheffield's AirQuality study, how to build a raspberry pi weather station, and a quick mention about Joan Arthur talking about her experiences collecting weather data on OldWeather.

Very cleverly they have used a map similar to the London Underground map to illustrate the differing elements of a weather datum's life. You will find that each 'station' covers different aspects and its information page has room for you to comment on the details given. OldWeather has such a page. You will find several comments about OldWeather including this very kind one: 'This is a fascinating project, but I feel that the complexity and value of the work that the volunteers are doing should mean that they get some form of payment for their time and hard work.' However you will find that both HelenJ and I were of a different mind to the writer in terms of the purity of the project. PLEASE FEEL WELCOME TO ADD YOUR THOUGHTS HERE: http://lifeofdata.org.uk/node/old-weather

Interestingly a later group meeting on Monday led to a question of what extra could be provided to the OldWeather transcribers, for example maps of the ships' journeys. Andrew Prescott (@Ajprescott), Digital humanities enthusiast at University of Glasgow. AHRC Digital Transformations fellow, rapidly mentioned that we do have those already. His knowledge of OldWeather was impressive! I MENTIONED THAT WE MIGHT perhaps see more of the weather information being drawn together from our transcriptions, but reflecting upon this later that day, in my heart I don't think that we would want to draw more information from our hard-pressed scientists. We want them to get the planet saved rather than entertain us. The news we get from them is enough for me. SOME OF YOU MAY HAVE MORE THOUGHTS ON THAT. Please do pop them into http://lifeofdata.org.uk/node/old-weather

HelenJ and I both gave interviews to Paula Goodale (leading this project) and you can hear those here:
https://archive.org/details/1407100052InterviewOW01a/b (Helen's, about an hour)
and https://archive.org/details/1407240054InterviewOW02  (Joan's, about a half hour)

I look forward to your thoughts on the map and the OldWeather node  :D

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2015, 10:19:41 pm »
 ;D

philip.brohan

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2015, 11:43:56 am »
Well done Joan and Helen and everyone involved - it's great that the secret life of data people realized that the forum is such a key part of the project and that they could get such excellent contributions from people here.

From Joan's post:
"I MENTIONED THAT WE MIGHT perhaps see more of the weather information being drawn together from our transcriptions, but reflecting upon this later that day, in my heart I don't think that we would want to draw more information from our hard-pressed scientists".

We're not so hard-pressed that we can't share what's being done with the weather data, and this is one of the things I try to do with the blog. We'll go on doing this, but I'd appreciate any suggestions or questions you might have - if there's anything in particular that you're interested in and we're not sharing with you, let me know (put a post in here) and we'll see what we can do.

leelaht

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2015, 04:14:35 pm »
Well done Joan and Helen and everyone involved - it's great that the secret life of data people realized that the forum is such a key part of the project and that they could get such excellent contributions from people here.

From Joan's post:
"I MENTIONED THAT WE MIGHT perhaps see more of the weather information being drawn together from our transcriptions, but reflecting upon this later that day, in my heart I don't think that we would want to draw more information from our hard-pressed scientists".

We're not so hard-pressed that we can't share what's being done with the weather data, and this is one of the things I try to do with the blog. We'll go on doing this, but I'd appreciate any suggestions or questions you might have - if there's anything in particular that you're interested in and we're not sharing with you, let me know (put a post in here) and we'll see what we can do.

What's our error rate (transcriptions not matching)?  Any particular parameter that's more problematic?  Any particular ship that had minimum mismatches?

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2015, 09:22:49 pm »

From Joan's post:

The other day, Concord time - around 12 Sep 1900 - the Concord was warned about an oncoming depression, and then a day or so later they were told about a typhoon visible on the southern horizon. I would be really fun to be able to see a series of weather maps for a given time, something like your loop for the weather maps for 1917. 

Kevin

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2015, 06:53:49 pm »
We do have the Galveston Hurricane of 1900 from Gil:
http://sos.noaa.gov/Datasets/dataset.php?id=8

So its something that can be done once all the data are assimilated. 

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2015, 07:59:39 pm »
Gil Compo is a regular member of the Old Weather team - because he is only active in the analysis of harvested data and not in the gathering process, he isn't involved with the forum.  But he loves what we send out to him thru Philip.  Thanks Kevin, this is a lovely way to see how our data is actually analysed and used.

(Note: when he is comparing data available before 2010, he is clearly using the birth of the OW project.   :) )