Author Topic: Canadian competitor to oldweather  (Read 2098 times)

asterix135

• View Profile
Canadian competitor to oldweather
« on: March 22, 2013, 03:02:56 pm »
Well, not really competitor, since it doesn't involve boats, but it's a different semi-crowdsourced recording of historical weather info:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/predicting-future-climate-change-may-lie-in-the-past/article10133670/

Somebody in power here should hook them up with oldweather

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian competitor to oldweather
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 03:11:39 pm »
The members might start kibitzing in each others' forums, but I rejoice at someone else joining us in parallel.  We have already signed up for a long stretch of getting through the US logs that have been scanned, and both the RN and US Archives are muttering about "if we had the funds to scan every logbook we own" ...

There are millions of books of weather records in the world, and we need them all.  And can't start to tackle them all at once.  I heard a very long time ago - don't remember the source - that climatologists have also gone into European monasteries to collect even older data.  They never recorded weather per se, but they kept meticulous records of when spring weather allowed planting and how good a harvest was taken in and why any harvest was poor.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 06:43:33 pm »
Janet -what does 'kibitzing' mean pls? :D

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:46:52 pm »
Ooh - I could be tempted away by monastic records ....   :D :D  But I'm not sure I could manage the handwriting (or the language, as they would probably be in Latin).

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 06:56:13 pm »
Offering advice/criticism/comments from an non-participant.  Came into American English from Yiddish.

Kibitzer
A kibitzer is a non-participant person, offering (often unwanted) advice or commentary. This Yiddish term is used in Contract bridge, chess, Go, and many other games.
Kibitz is also a term referring to circular commenting. One person comments, then the other person comments. A back-and-forth conversation outside the main issue, where the people having the conversation are not directly participating.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:34:55 pm »
Offering advice/criticism/comments from an non-participant.  Came into American English from Yiddish.

Kibitzer
A kibitzer is a non-participant person, offering (often unwanted) advice or commentary. This Yiddish term is used in Contract bridge, chess, Go, and many other games.
Kibitz is also a term referring to circular commenting. One person comments, then the other person comments. A back-and-forth conversation outside the main issue, where the people having the conversation are not directly participating.

Got  it....know that one...sort of back-seat driver. Like we so often say we learn new things all the time here. I like the word kibitzing. :D

asterix135

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:48:27 pm »
Yiddish has all the best words

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:59:30 pm »
yep - my favourite both on a linguistic and empirical basis is ...schluf   every day should have one

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 08:33:48 pm »
A very earthy and picturesque language, Yiddish.  Has made a number of contributions that enrich English.  "Schlep" along is another I like. 

Schluf is new to me, like you said - we learn something here every day.

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 06:42:35 pm »
Here's an update on the Historical Canadian Climate Data project. This 2013 topic quickly veered away from the main theme because of Joan's curiosity about Yiddish. I understand she speaks it fluently now  :D  :P

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 08:04:31 pm »
 8)
I see OW is listed!

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 08:34:12 pm »
Here's an update on the Historical Canadian Climate Data project. This 2013 topic quickly veered away from the main theme because of Joan's curiosity about Yiddish. I understand she speaks it fluently now  :D  :P

Sorry Craig, I was having a schluf when you posted this  ;D