Author Topic: Climate Change courses - online and free  (Read 8282 times)

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: Climate Change courses - online and free
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 11:05:11 pm »
I haven't got the results yet. We will finish the 10th and last module this week and then we begin evaluating the assignments.

The final module covers ways to mitigate and adapt to climate change and they mention the importance of good data. However, there is probably no appeal process if you are not happy with your mark. I just hope that at least one of the three who mark my paper is interested enough to join OW. That's worth more than a good mark.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 11:47:49 pm »
 ;D

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 01:19:09 pm »
I got my peer evaluations for my final assignment today. They gave me 14 out of a possible 16 points. That's better than I expected. I particularly like Peer 3.  ;D  Peer 1 is a bit harsh but I appreciate his/her generosity.

Comments on the region:
Area or Region: What feedback might you give to the author of the project in this area?

peer 1 → I used the term "Area" to mean area of study, not geographical area.
peer 3 → Appreciate that climate data rescue is a global effort and highly regarded and vital to climate models, It fails the test of adaptation.

Comments on the main point:

Main Point: What feedback might you give to the author of the project in this area?
peer 1 → I'm feeling generous here. Your project is based on conjecture rather than fact. In principle it is a good idea, how practical I cannot say.
peer 3 → Citizen science crowdsourcing climate data is making huge in roads for our climate data modelers. Love the issue.

Comments on the evidence:
Evidence: What feedback might you give to the author of the project in this area?
peer 1 → Again, I feel it is based on conjecture.
peer 3 → Excellent references for data rescue efforts. There are dozens of these climate data crowdsourcing projects being conducted by http://www.met-acre.org/. One of my favorites is Bern's www.data- rescue-at-home.org/‎ and another is Vicky Slonosky, Canadaian Historical Climate Data https://sites.google.com/site/historicalclimatedata/canadian-historical-data-typing-project. The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) funds citizen science crowdsourcing and has it's own data rescue task group. The data is eventually added to ICSU World Data System databases, NOAA's NCDC database, for example.

Comments on the Presentation
Presentation: What feedback might you give to the author of the project in this area?

peer 1 → The presentation is a bit rambling and could be laid out better.

Overall evaluation:
peer 1 → The principle is good but it lacks any real evidence of a successful innovation.
peer 2 → Great job!
peer 3 → While I concur that climate data is a critical component of climate change modeling it's not exactly an adaptation. However, utilizing citizen science and crowdsourcing is definitely an adaptation for data acquisition within the meteorological community. Personally appreciate that you are participating in these worthwhile endeavors.

jil

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 02:38:42 pm »
Well done!

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 03:06:55 pm »
Thanks, Jill. My hope with this assignment was to recruit a couple of more OW members. Certainly, Peer 1 was not impressed with how I squeezed OW and CPDN into the assignment and Peer 3 is already very aware of this sort of activity. Peer 2 didn't say much but gave me a good score. I probably had a bit more exposure with my post on their Discussion forum but there were so many posts that mine got lost in the crowd, except for a few favourable comments

In any case, it was fun doing the Coursea Climate Literacy course and I recommend it to anyone who wants to know more about both the science and the social, political and economic aspects of climate change.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 07:10:43 pm »

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 07:37:11 pm »
FutureLearn is a new UK-based provider of free online courses and their site goes live tomorrow 18 September:
https://www.futurelearn.com/ 

Because I registered with them in advance, I was able to have a sneak preview today, and they are also offering a course on climate change, put on by Exeter University and starting in January 2014, 8 weeks, 3 hours per week.  So if anyone is interested in this, or any of their other courses, the website is available from tomorrow.

I have actually signed up for this course as it did not seem to be too big a commitment.  (I'm also planning to do "England in the time of Richard III" which is put on by the University of Leicester who were responsible for organizing the excavation of the car park where his body was discovered.)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 08:17:44 pm »
Thanks, it looks interesting. :)

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2013, 02:48:56 pm »
I would be interested in knowing how your  course is organized, Thursday Next? Mine had 10 modules, each one with a multiple choice quiz. There were two 500 word assignments and a final test with 40 multiple choice questions. The assignments were evaluated by three other students. It was possible to get a certificate for having done this course but I wasn't interested. There were two professors, one who covered the scientific aspects of climate change and the other, the socio-political aspects. Each module consisted of 3 video lectures about 10 minutes long, plus links to pertinent web sites. There was a forum in which we were encouraged to pose questions or comment on points raised in the lectures. The professors did not participate in the forum except when there were technical problems or to correct errors in  the modules.

jil

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2013, 05:41:46 pm »
Thanks for mentioning the site - I've signed up for the ecosystems course (starts Nov). If that goes well, I'll probably go for the climate science one as well.

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2013, 05:43:58 pm »
I would be interested in knowing how your  course is organized, Thursday Next? Mine had 10 modules, each one with a multiple choice quiz. There were two 500 word assignments and a final test with 40 multiple choice questions. The assignments were evaluated by three other students. It was possible to get a certificate for having done this course but I wasn't interested. There were two professors, one who covered the scientific aspects of climate change and the other, the socio-political aspects. Each module consisted of 3 video lectures about 10 minutes long, plus links to pertinent web sites. There was a forum in which we were encouraged to pose questions or comment on points raised in the lectures. The professors did not participate in the forum except when there were technical problems or to correct errors in  the modules.

This is something I will have to let you know later on!  In general, it seems there will be video & audio lectures, plus articles and quizzes.  There is also going to be a forum for students to discuss the course.  I will let you know in more detail once I have more information myself.

jil

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 05:37:46 pm »
Just a reminder to anyone who was interested the Climate Change course with Future Learn starts next week.

I've just finished the Introduction to Ecosystems course, which I enjoyed. They had various video, audio clips (some from the Open University who had created this course, some BBC), documents, discusions between the participants and a multiple choice quiz at the end of each week, and for this course a little bit of a practical - looking at a local habitat and loading photos to iSpot for id if required. Sometimes it did feel like they had grabbed the best video clips and stuck them together so there were occasionally abrupt jumps from one subject to another. You can do the courses at your own speed, which was good as I got a few weeks behind at one stage.

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 08:21:01 pm »
I can confirm that as of today there are still some places available.  Unfortunately I've ended up with a week's overlap between "England in the time of Richard III" and the Climate Change course, due to them extending the Christmas break from one week to two.  Having completed the final history unit today, it will be later in the week before I start on the new course.  I'm looking forward to it - the Richard III course was very interesting and I've learned a lot about 15th century England.  (One of the units was on Food - who'd've thought pasta was around in medieval England! :)  No tomato sauce though. :( )

Kevin

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2014, 01:47:31 pm »
Very cool! Dr. Harris is an old SEA colleague. And by the way, peer 3 seems to be well informed. And I would say (not having read your paper) that the pursuit of climate knowledge IS a kind of adaptation - as opposed to head in the sand. Interestingly, it looks like without the former in hand, the risks of blowing active mitigation schemes (aka geoengineering) are pretty big.

I got my peer evaluations for my final assignment today. They gave me 14 out of a possible 16 points. That's better than I expected. I particularly like Peer 3.  ;D  Peer 1 is a bit harsh but I appreciate his/her generosity.

Comments on the region:
Area or Region: What feedback might you give to the author of the project in this area?

peer 1 → I used the term "Area" to mean area of study, not geographical area.
peer 3 → Appreciate that climate data rescue is a global effort and highly regarded and vital to climate models, It fails the test of adaptation.

Comments on the main point:

Main Point: What feedback might you give to the author of the project in this area?
peer 1 → I'm feeling generous here. Your project is based on conjecture rather than fact. In principle it is a good idea, how practical I cannot say.
peer 3 → Citizen science crowdsourcing climate data is making huge in roads for our climate data modelers. Love the issue.

Comments on the evidence:
Evidence: What feedback might you give to the author of the project in this area?
peer 1 → Again, I feel it is based on conjecture.
peer 3 → Excellent references for data rescue efforts. There are dozens of these climate data crowdsourcing projects being conducted by http://www.met-acre.org/. One of my favorites is Bern's www.data- rescue-at-home.org/‎ and another is Vicky Slonosky, Canadaian Historical Climate Data https://sites.google.com/site/historicalclimatedata/canadian-historical-data-typing-project. The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) funds citizen science crowdsourcing and has it's own data rescue task group. The data is eventually added to ICSU World Data System databases, NOAA's NCDC database, for example.

Comments on the Presentation
Presentation: What feedback might you give to the author of the project in this area?

peer 1 → The presentation is a bit rambling and could be laid out better.

Overall evaluation:
peer 1 → The principle is good but it lacks any real evidence of a successful innovation.
peer 2 → Great job!
peer 3 → While I concur that climate data is a critical component of climate change modeling it's not exactly an adaptation. However, utilizing citizen science and crowdsourcing is definitely an adaptation for data acquisition within the meteorological community. Personally appreciate that you are participating in these worthwhile endeavors.

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2014, 02:36:30 pm »
Interesting coincidence re Dr. Harris, Kevin. I enjoyed the course.

I have come around to thinking that improving climate models will be more useful for evaluating geo-engineering proposals than for convincing climate change skeptics of anything.