Author Topic: 100 new entries and no change of complete value  (Read 4951 times)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: 100 new entries and no change of complete value
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 02:03:05 pm »
Who knows?  I know the British OW climatologists are interested in all the lat/longs we have the time to give them, and that they are all landlubbers who I would never trust to steer a boat, let alone a big ship.  Kevin, our American scientist, on the other hand is a sailor and master mariner.  Questions like that shouldn't be answered by landlubbers like me.  ;)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 04:46:16 pm »
All the data that we transcribe for the OW project is being saved. Data that is not currently useful may be used in the future.

See: http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=3620.0

jpiquard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 05:44:04 pm »
Randi,

Will the data collected by the OW project be available as public data as NOAA do ?
I am also a software programmer and I would be interesting to create a Mobile App to show the large amount of data.

Regards,

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 06:01:27 pm »
Absolutely yes.  NOAA is a major funder for the scanning and data storage precisely because they want to fill in the holes of weather collection in the arctic, and will gladly take readings from any other areas the National Archives will scan for us to get those ships' history.   http://www.oldweather.org/about
Kevin is with http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/arctic/rediscover/index.html

And NARA is doing the scanning so they can get archive quality pictures to permanently present to the public.

Kathy

• In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 06:44:19 pm »
Hi jpiquard -

I wanted to point out something to you about your transcription rate - it may take you 30 minutes to transcript 24 weather reports right now, but trust me, as you get more practice, you will get faster - your transcription rate will probably drop to 15 minutes for 24/page, and most likely will go lower than that - like everything else, practice makes perfect -  ;D

Welcome to the nuthouse, er, club!  ;D

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 08:06:25 pm »
I agree with Kathy.
I enter 24 weather entries in less then 10 minutes.
Don't know about the quality though. ;)

To speed up:
- draw a box for weather entries once on a new page, the next time just click and a box of the same size will be drawn for you (after a while you know exactly where to click to place the new box correctly aligned)
- use the Tab-key to go to the next field
- type the text instead of using the selection lists

Most importantly, just enjoy the ride.

jpiquard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 08:21:02 pm »
Hi Kathy and Maikel,

That's good to know this incredible speed-up of the 24 weather report entries...
I have discovered alone the single box selection with a one-click to the next record and tab-key is really powerful.
So, only 500 hours of work to finish the Jamestown (1886)...  8)
To stimulate other Lieutenants, I have started the Jamestown (1866) and planned to rise at the third place and maybe to see the global percentage increase.

Kathy

• In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 08:27:37 pm »
It is nice to have a plan... ;D

PS - I love your avatar picture - what exactly is it?

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 08:31:02 pm »
I'm doing ship histories at the moment rather than transcribing but one thing I will say - enjoy the voyage.  Every page you do as well as you can will contribute to the overall picture.  If you go off to find out what some of the strange words mean or what ship was it that you met, well your weather output will be less but your understanding of the logs will have improved for the future and you never know when this will allow you to make sense of a future entry.  It isn't a race, it's a voyage of discovery.

jpiquard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 09:03:43 pm »
Hi studentforever,

Yes, I also appreciate the journey in the 'return to the past' and try to learn the more as possible.
Sorry to think to performance and speed instead of exploration and details.
But, at the moment, with The Jamestown (1866), I am stopped at San Francisco for more than 10 days... meaning no move and calm weather during 240 weather records... so long.

jpiquard

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 09:13:08 pm »

Hi Kathy,

This is my twitter avatar PolarJackSW...
A mixture between Andromeda galaxy (astronomy is one of my hobby) and an Iceberg (the Polar part of me since my expedition in 1989 in Antarctica)...  ;)

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 09:45:52 pm »
Yes, it can get dull - I (my ship that is) once spent a month in dry dock. You have two choices - grit your teeth and transcribe through it or jump ship and either find your new ship to your liking or jump back and hope you have emerged or set sail and someone else has done the transcriptions.  Sounds just like real research, moments of insight and lots of dull repetitions to establish whether or not you were right.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 10:15:26 pm »

Hi Kathy,

This is my twitter avatar PolarJackSW...
A mixture between Andromeda galaxy (astronomy is one of my hobby) and an Iceberg (the Polar part of me since my expedition in 1989 in Antarctica)...  ;)

We certainly will not complain if you drop us a few stories about your time in Antarctica - we are a VERY appreciative audience!  ;D ;D

asterix135

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 10:19:45 pm »
Repairs in port are fun!

2+ months of "officers engaged at office work.  Crew engaged at general ship's work.  Workmen engaged at repairs"  makes for fascinating readings.

At least it's spiced up with the occasional officer getting sacked or crew member coming back 72 hours late stinking drunk.....

But seriously, at first I found it interminably boring to have to transcribe 2 months of sitting in port.  But once you get used to it, the repair work periods give you some interesting insights into what goes into running a ship at the turn of the century. 

Now what I find boring is the period where the ship is going from point A to point B - there's usually not much to read about other than a list of what course was being steered at what particular time, and what island was 2 pts abeam at a distance of 5 miles.

jpiquard

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 11:01:51 pm »
Hi asterix135,

My stay to San Francisco doesn't give interesting events...
Just 'Pleasant Weather' or 'Moderate Weather'...

Note: the pressure stay around 30.30 inHG (1025 hPa)