dorbel

• Editor
    • View Profile
Chat
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:45:18 am »
I suggest two additional folders.
East Africa, Suez to Simonstown.
China Station.
Like most editors I have my own ever-growing lists for these, but what I don't have is links to specific pages. However, I think the co-ordinates are all good, because I never trust a single source, not even Geographic.org!

Done ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:55:08 pm by Randi »

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
Re: Chat
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:45:34 am »
For providing lat/long for the above, I have saved my google map for the eastern part of this list.  All the place names have markers.  I hope this helps, and I will insert the link in the quoted list as well.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215046709214223669572.00049a7bc377017503bfb&msa=0

OK, How you do that?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:12:29 pm »
I get easily lost without a map, and Torch didn't believe in giving lat/long, and I was 3rd transcriber so the logs were jumping dates frequently leaving me in totally unknown waters.  I started a map to keep me oriented, and to help me know which part of the area I was learning something about - as a tender for Blenheim, Torch was a very interesting ship to be on.  She was mailman/taxi/delivery truck/policeman/war-refugee rescuer everywhere.

I made that map for my own use, putting in the names in the logs and the modern ones after.  Extremely helpful when she revisited areas.  I don't remember why I deleted the map for the western Med for that same voyage, but I looked and the eastern edge/ Black Sea map was still there.  So I shared it.  The list published at the end was a simple transcription of the names on the two maps.

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:59:05 pm »
Hi Janet.
I would like to know HOW you did the map.
Thanks.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 10:35:34 pm »
  • Make and lable a map of the area in Google Maps' My Places, and open it for editing.
  • Figure out what name is scribbled in the log
  • Look up that name on your Google Map
  • When Google can't find it, look it up on a David Rumsey map or Geographical Names
  • Look at that spot on your Google Map, and mark it, including its current modern name
  • Repeat steps 2 through 5 every time you ship makes port or a sighting
  • Save your map at the end of every session as a public document
  • Click on the 'Link' icon at the top of the left sidebar when you want the embedding url to share the map with others.

The best part of this is learning what is going on, because when you find yourself in a previously unknown country, you have to research it.  (The shores of the Black Sea are amazingly complex, politically.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:38:52 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 11:17:54 pm »
Thanks.
Point 1. I opened Google maps and my places which came up with the world. How do I get it to make a specific area map, say North of south America, or do you just get the world and zoom?

I Skyped Joan for the first time just now, interesting person.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:32:34 pm »
You get the map and zoom.

I decided how big and crowded I could tolerate and titled that map with that area.  It always opens afterward just big enough to show all my markers.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 08:14:54 am »
So...erm...can I add to Janet's Eastern Med map? I'm just doing the Eastern side on the Acacia.  And boy is it confusing...there certainly are plenty of places using the same name. Thank you to any respondants!
J ;D

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 10:50:12 am »
So...erm...can I add to Janet's Eastern Med map? I'm just doing the Eastern side on the Acacia.  And boy is it confusing...there certainly are plenty of places using the same name. Thank you to any respondants!
J ;D

Go for it.  I'm done with it, as far as using it goes.  But we seem to agree that it helps to keep orienting in a complex region.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 02:22:12 pm »
Do you know how I can add to your map though Janet?  I'll drop a note to propriome too.
Thanks,
Joan

propriome

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 02:36:34 pm »
Hi Joan,

The quickest way, if i've understood what you want to do, could be:
- download janet's map as a kml file (there's a link just above the place names), go to my places (probably you're required to have a google account) and import the kml.
or:
- being connected to your google account click on "Save to My Places" from Janet map.

Once you have your own copy of the map, you can add every new place you find on it with a couple of clicks after a search.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:52:45 pm by propriome »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 04:30:28 pm »
Joan, what he said. 

I've never done anything like this before, and truly don't have a clue.  Good luck.   :-[ :)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 06:54:33 pm »
Never mind Janet. I'm just imbibing my strongest coffee of the day. Then I'll put on one of those old diving suits and go in....(I must be brave, I must be brave  ;) ;):D

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 07:00:05 pm »
We're with you Joan - do it for us all!

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 08:25:07 pm »
Well I've located the treasure chest - I got into Janet's google earth file and added about 4 locations. But I can't bring the treasure trove up...i.e. I can't work out how to save the thing so that it appears on the map version.
Please - any chance you could do a blow by blow account or screen shots of how to save the changes?..sorry.  :-\