Author Topic: SS Laurentic  (Read 7365 times)

cyzaki

• View Profile
Re: SS Laurentic
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 06:44:39 am »
You need to find some way of snipping a small bit of your screen - Windows 7 has a brilliant snipping tool that does this easily, if you don't have that you probably need to take a screenshot, put it in paint or some similar programme, and crop the image. Then you need to upload the picture to photobucket or a similar image-hosting site, and then you can post the picture in here in the same way as you post a picture of the whole log page.

kin47

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 01:10:40 pm »
Hello

Since it was later in the war, survivor lists were usually not published, but I will look in my files for LAURENTIC.

It still strikes me hard, that after doing these lists a few years ago, all these "names" were people, just like you and I, with families, stories, and woes.  That is one reason, I insist, whenever possible, that their given names are given rather than initials.  Somehow, an initial dehumanises the loss a measurable amount.

All best

don

chickeneyed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 07:32:59 pm »
You need to find some way of snipping a small bit of your screen - Windows 7 has a brilliant snipping tool that does this easily, if you don't have that you probably need to take a screenshot, put it in paint or some similar programme, and crop the image. Then you need to upload the picture to photobucket or a similar image-hosting site, and then you can post the picture in here in the same way as you post a picture of the whole log page.
I thought it might be something like that-I'd noticed that the file data wasn't OW's-
Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.
AS USUAL!

DJ_59

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 07:38:08 am »

Don, I couldn't agree more about the initials.  It always makes me mad.  It seems a bit like saying this person's death (and therefore his life) barely merits mention.  It's like the final process of being reduced to a statistic.

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Laurentic
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 02:46:20 pm »
Why this project is so worthwhile: a message [edited] sent to Naval History.

Not sure who to thank, but a big thank you for posting the transcriptions of the Laurentic's journey from December 1915 to December 1916. My father was on board during that time and I found the entry for 11 December 1915 when he joined the ship. Fortunately for us he left on 22 December 1916.  We do have his diary but some pages were missing so the journey was incomplete.  But not now.

cyzaki

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 08:18:39 pm »
Brilliant! Thanks for sharing!  ;D

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 10:13:08 pm »
Definitely one of the things which keeps me happily addicted ....

DJ_59

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 10:03:54 pm »

I love hearing things like that.