Author Topic: Got a question? Old hands are here to help  (Read 21521 times)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Got a question? Old hands are here to help
« on: August 30, 2013, 09:40:50 am »
This topic has been created especially for newcomers to Old Weather.  Here you can ask questions on any aspect of transcribing or on the content of the logs.

No question is too simple, too complex or too strange; there are knowledgeable, friendly people here with years of transcribing experience who are only too willing to help.

If you need help with posting your question, click here.

Nestlegrass

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood . .
    • View Profile
Re: Got a question? Old hands are here to help
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 03:15:25 am »
I'm not sure where this question goes, so please forgive if this has been answered a million times already. I'm working on the Concord:

I have run into a number of pages lately that have a piece of another page laying across them.

On the weather observation page, I go ahead and just do the hours I can completely see and leave what is covered by the paper. Sometimes it's the comment page and there seems to be one entire "watch" stuck in, partly covering the original.

Seeings as these seem to be getting more numerous, I thought I'd better ask.  :)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 04:16:57 pm »
I'm not sure where this question goes, so please forgive if this has been answered a million times already. I'm working on the Concord:

I have run into a number of pages lately that have a piece of another page laying across them.

On the weather observation page, I go ahead and just do the hours I can completely see and leave what is covered by the paper. Sometimes it's the comment page and there seems to be one entire "watch" stuck in, partly covering the original.

Seeings as these seem to be getting more numerous, I thought I'd better ask.  :)

The basic problem is the resulting need for duplication.  It can take several forms or variations depending on what extra something is there.

At heart, the log is a bound book and the scanner photographing it looks down and takes a single picture of both open pages.  Then a computer cuts the picture in half so we only have to work with one at a time - that's the xxx_0.jpg and xxx_1.jpg in the picture urls.  That is also why it is perfectly safe to have the date on one page and the location on the next - the two are forever joined at the hip and each data is easy to apply to both.

Whenever an additional sheet of paper is included, 2 broad pictures have to be taken, and then cut in half. 
The first pair will have the left-hand page exposed (page A) and the face of the inclusion blocking part of the right-hand page (page B).
The second pair will have the back of the inclusion blocking part of the left-hand page (page C), and the right-hand page clear (page D).

Accepted procedure is to do all the weather on page A, anything on the inclusion face that is of interest on B and nothing else save the date/location at the top, anything on the inclusion back that is of interest on C and nothing else save the date/location at the top,  and everything on page D.  Do NOT feel any need to transcribe any content twice.  If for example the back of the sheet is blank, transcribing page C in entirety might consist of a single click of "I'm finished with this page"

Clearly, especially when more than one page is included, life creates many variations on this depending on both the men who inserted the extra paper and the scanner operators creating an error.  Can you let us see an example not covered by this default procedure?  Posting Links and Images (A Guide)

Also helpful, How to look at log pages before and after the one you are working on in Helpful Hints
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:23:29 pm by Janet Jaguar »

SebastianHelm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:04:15 pm »
Thank you, crew mate, for posting this question here. I am also working on the Concord, where I signed on in Shanghai.

The procedure itself seems well defined, so it should cover all cases. But it means that we have to read the log out of sequence, since the original MISCELLANEOUS EVENTS page is last in sequence. In the interest of a more pleasant reading and better understanding of the events, it would help if we could skip ahead and back. Is that possible?

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 04:36:56 pm »
Kathy, I hope you don't mind - I'm updating your Phase 1 info to Phase 2 and 3 here, rather than rewriting the whole.  JJ

Hi SebastianHelm -

Welcome to the project!  Yes, you can go back and forth, but the process is a bit complicated and there is no guarantee you would be presented with the pages you wish to transcribe.   To see pages you have already transcribed, take the following steps:

1) Hover the cursor over your name on the Home screen.  A drop down pick-list will appear.

2)  Position the cursor on My Old Weather and click.  This action will take you to "your" home page, which has a listing of all ships you have worked on - past and current.  Also on this page, at the very bottom, are thumbnails of the last 10 pages you have worked on, going back (for me) for about 3 months.

2a) Also in the dropdown under your name is "My Pages".  There you can find and edit every page in every ship that you have done.  Click "View Logs" for the relevant ship.

3) Position the cursor on the page you wish to access and click.  The page will open and you can then edit or add to your entries on the page.

4) When finished, simply click on the I've finished with this page button and your changes/additions will be saved.

So, keeping this process in mind, if you wish to move forward thru the log book pages, simply click on the I've finished with this page button and continue to do so until you have reached the page you wish to transcribe.  Transcribe that page, save your work, and then go back, if you wish, to transcribe the pages you saved, but did not actually transcribe.  Please keep in mind, that you may not actually get your target page using this method.  Each page is presented to 3 transcribers, and if you happen to be Transcriber #4, you will not get that page.

I hope this answers your question.

Ta -

Kathy
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:55:52 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:59:20 pm »
Welcome, SebastianHelm - we are glad to have you.  :)

New in Phase 3 (our current fleet) is the ability to let us look at your actual editing, if you have questions on how you are doing.  See Ask for expert advice.  Only the moderators will be able to read your edits, and even there they are locked to us, we will not be able to make any corrections or changes.  We can reassure you are doing it correctly, or give advice.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 05:03:23 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 05:23:02 pm »
JJ -

no worries - I couldn't remember how many pages you could see at the bottom of the page  ;D

AND

I forgot about the My Pages option  :o  :P

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 05:25:25 pm »
Hi SebastianHelm,

Inserts are a nuisance - especially when you are not familiar with the process. I strongly suggest you switch to either Albatross (1890) or Yorktown.

Randi

SebastianHelm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 06:08:53 pm »
Thanks everyone for the fast and helpful answers! I'm already attached to the Concord (for many reasons, including such that I made the acquaintance of Mr H. W. Moseley in the dynamo room), so for now, unless I get really annoyed by the inserts, I would like to stay with her. I assume the 3-readers rule explains why I didn't see the pages C+D after an inclusion - someone else must have been passed me. When the program makes me skip a page, will it be possible to see that page or the transcriptions, so I can stay in touch?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 06:20:22 pm »
We all need to do that at times, it makes deciphering some scribbles easier when put in context.  See How to look at log pages before and after the one you are working on in Helpful Hints.

There are also helpful stuff at our Library / Reference Desk - it's easier to decipher names when you have a reference that let's you see what ships and places were real possibilities.  Remember, some places have changed their names several times since our ships visited there.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 06:35:02 pm »
... When the program makes me skip a page, will it be possible to see that page or the transcriptions, so I can stay in touch?

Sounds like a possible OWaholic ;D

SebastianHelm

• View Profile
Re: Inserts
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 01:41:27 am »
Dang - I got bitten by the multiple insertions. In this case, the second insert only partially covers the first. The first insert, page D, contains a list of 9 ships encountered, which unfortunately are also visible on page B, on which we should only enter text from the second insert. Before I became aware of this, I already marked them in page B. Do I have to redo all of these for page D, or is there an easier way to bulk move the marks?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:47:03 am by SebastianHelm »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 02:26:08 am »
Rule #1:  Primary goal, transcribe what is written as long as you are interested in it.  TWYS - all the log keepers' errors and stupidities are precisely what we want you to preserve.

Note on Rule #1:  We mean what we say about adjusting what you transcribe in the comments so they keep you interested, because they are optional.  We also mean what we say when we require all the weather data in the table - that's what feeds the Climate Change databases.  See People using our results

Rule #2:  Be kind to yourself, and save the energy it would take to transcribe the same thing twice - avoid that whenever possible.

Rule #3:  Do both by a system that your mind find simple to do and remember what is already typed, so you can enjoy the process and find it interesting and fun.  We get paid by knowing we are being very useful adding to important global data bases, and also adding to the official online archives of the United States - and having fun doing it!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:52:55 am by Janet Jaguar »

SebastianHelm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 04:15:18 am »
Thank you for your reply. These are good rules, and I will try to abide by them. But it seems my point didn't come across. This was not any notetaker's stupidity; it's just that they didn't plan for it being scanned one day. So they placed the inserts on top of each other, in what would become through our scanning a reverse order. Concretely, their six pages map to ours as follows (sorted by our sequence; named A through F as per your message of September 02):
Original sequenceScanned sequenceContent
1AWeather
4BSecond insert, covering part of page F and of the first insert
-Cblank reverse of second insert, covering part of page A
3DFirst insert, covering part of page F
-Eblank reverse of first insert, covering part of page A
2FOriginal MISCELLANEOUS EVENTS

Thus, it was not a TWYS question. My question was simply whether my work was lost if it's marked on the wrong page, and whether it's possible to transfer it.

I now know the problem and won't run into it again, but, if it isn't too much effort, the scanners could place white papers behind inserts, at least for double inserts, to prevent others from the same confusion.

Cheers!
Sebastian

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 04:41:50 am »
Thus, it was not a TWYS question. My question was simply whether my work was lost if it's marked on the wrong page, and whether it's possible to transfer it.

No, and no.  The National Archives want it photoed like it is, to preserve history.  These are written with 100-year-old ink on 100-year-old paper, after all, and fragile.  There is an analysts team that rearrange transcriptions to match the pictures.  And there are editors taking finished transcriptions and turning them into readable history.  Trying to have the transcribers do the arranging and editing as well is too much like work.

(Most of our editors are working on our Phases 1 & 2 fleet of RN ships from the WW1 era - trying to have it to present for that war's centennial.  We did voyages from about 310 ships of that period.)  We just don't let those discussions and rules mix in with transcription talk.  See http://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-LogBooksWW1.htm