Author Topic: Got a question? Old hands are here to help  (Read 21504 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Got a question? Old hands are here to help
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2014, 08:53:15 pm »
"Neah Bay, Washington"
You are correct to use the location tab, but rather than a Location Type of Observed it should be Port Name.

The noon location would be a Location Type of Place Name with "Sea Otter Rocks, B.C. E 1/2 N, 4.5 m." in the name field.

Port Name is used when the ship has stopped somewhere. It should only include the name (Neah Bay, Washington).
Place Name is used when bearings are given (above) and when the ship is in transit ("From Neah Bay to Astoria, Oregon" or "Entering the Strait of Juan de Fuca").
Sometimes it is hard to decide which to use. Just make your best guess ;)

I love the "All Thumbs for Science"!

P.S. "E 1/2 N, 4.5 m." means bearing E 1/2 N and distance 4.5 miles ;)

You might find this map helpful: http://historicalcharts.noaa.gov/historicals/preview/image/6400-06-1900
Sea Otter Rock: http://www.geonames.org/6143284/sea-otter-rock.html
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:21:30 am by Randi »

HHTime Ron

• All Thumbs for Science
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2014, 04:40:34 pm »
Randi,

Aaaahhhhh!  Slow learner, here.  Thanks for your patience and the great examples.  Will update postings for Perry.  Ron

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2014, 06:11:26 pm »
I'm slow myself! (but remember the story of the tortoise and the hare ;))
It must be admitted that this project has a steep learning curve.
Thank YOU for sticking with this.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:05:43 pm by Randi »

HHTime Ron

• All Thumbs for Science
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2015, 04:54:59 pm »
What happens to my pages?  As I have improved my understanding, I have returned to pages and corrected them.  Are the pages eventually taken out of my control?  More frequently, I have gotten half-way through a page and had to leave the computer; I select "Finished with this page" in order to save my work and return later.  OK?

When are my pages actually used for updating the archives? While you never change my pages, I assume that you wait until several transcribers have completed the same pages, and at some point you somehow normalize the entries into one.  Another human editor or one incredible editing algorithm?

Guess I don't need to know; but, I am curious about the sequence and timing of events.  Thanks, Ron

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2015, 05:33:55 pm »
Everyone wants to know what is done with all of our work.  :)

Before the ship is finished, there will be transcribers going in and editing pages besides the incompleteness, so no data is harvested while a ship is being transcribed.  Once the ship goes VAL (View All Logs - no more transcription available) all the climate data gets grabbed by the climatologists, analyzed and put in the global data bases - it is all in at least 5 databases, and there are videos showing how much improved those databases are with our additions, no one else is adding our material.  Technically you can still edit transcriptions from VAL ships, but those corrections will likely never get picked up.

Eventually, Philip will send Naval-History.Net the complete comments transcripts (minus weather readings) and we will put that online to read and hope we can find an editor.

When an editor asks for a ship, they make the transcription much improved.  Then finally we make it some maps and put the finished piece online.  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 05:46:14 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2015, 06:11:56 pm »
Found this too:
We've produced an impressive batch of results since we started the project, and I'm sometimes asked what, exactly is being done with them all. Some of the results, like those I've posted on the blog, and the ship histories on navalhistory.net, you already know about, but we are starting to have a much wider impact.

Weather & Climate:

There are at least 5 major climate reconstructions currently in progress using our new weather observations:

Ship histories:

New museum exhibits inspired by or involving our work are in planning or preparation at:

Rule one of any project is "It always takes longer than you think - even after allowing for rule one", and that's certainly true here - none of this work is finished yet. But we've plenty to look forward to, and I'm confident that even more uses will emerge.

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2015, 02:18:35 am »
Here's a question...

I always enter the amounts of coal taken on by the good ship Concord under refueling. Now, however, they are acting as a supply ship for two formerly Spanish, but now USS, gunboats. Today they just gave USS Pampanga five tons of coal. Should I enter that has refueling -5 tons with the explanation, or just forget it?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2015, 04:20:53 am »
That's a gray area I think - I myself would consider it refueling both because it gives info on refueling gunboats and corrects any misunderstandings on how much Concord needs.

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2015, 05:52:02 pm »
We think along the same lines. Is that good or just scary???   ;)

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2015, 06:10:29 pm »
We think along the same lines. Is that good or just scary???   ;)

It shows how well the moderators have trained us all .... ;D

exim202

• Gnoseological concupiscence
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2015, 10:27:22 pm »
And onn the subject of refueling, what is this data used for, please? (apologies if this has been asked before somewhere..)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2015, 12:35:42 am »
I don't know - several historians have seen reason to be able to easily this out, when recording what pollution all these ships contributed to the oceans, but I don't think anyones started on this yet.  One of those "if you don't tag it now, they'll won't be able to find it easily" thingies.

exim202

• Gnoseological concupiscence
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2015, 05:45:03 pm »
OK, will continue to tag...   :)

KurtMN

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2015, 06:55:43 pm »
How can I see the actual transcription of the log pages that I have transcribed not the log pages themselves, but what I've typed.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2015, 07:05:13 pm »
To see what you have typed you need to be in edit mode.
Click on the "button" at the top right that has your name on it and select either My Old Weather or My Pages from the drop-down menu. You can look at any of the pages you have done and you can also edit them.