Author Topic: Suggestions for Phase 4  (Read 36772 times)

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
Suggestions for Phase 4
« on: September 06, 2013, 02:45:05 pm »
I am continuing with the Jamestown and entering the dittos. To compensate I am only recording the wind force from the Remarks. This is more reliable that the weather observations, which are often long or vague (such as "pleasant weather"). I am also ignoring the "first part / second part" distinctions in which there is either a change in wind direction or weather during the watch . I will only use the "second part", which will applies to the end of the watch. This information is optional anyway so I don't suppose there will be any objection.

The perception seems to persist that the skipping the dittos would be a loss of infomation but this ignores the fact that there have been hardly any blanks in the wind direction for this ship so one can safely assume that a skipped line is equivalent to no change in that variable. Be that as it may, I will drop this discussion and move on.

I look forward to a new interface that would make this choice unnecessary. It is not only the early logs that have a lot of repeated values. It happens also in the more recent logs. Being able to drag a value down 2 or more rows would save some typing. Not having to enter the time every row would also save key strokes. It doesn't sound like much the these things add up.

My apparent speed will increase by entering all the dittos but I won't be working any harder  ;D ;)

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Phase 4
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 03:25:13 pm »
I wonder if some like this would be possible -

The first time you enter a set of values in the Weather fields, you get asked if this value repeats and how many times...the system then takes your responses - yes repeats/no does not and if yes, then enters the values the correct number of times.  OR, if there was some way the user could "tell" the system that a value is to be repeated for X number of times.  The problem with proposal #1 is that this only works if the dittos are continuous - it can't accommodate values that repeat for say 5 rows and then change and then that value repeats.  The best way would be user driven - Option 2.  Hum, adding a drop down Pick List next to the SUBMIT button would do the trick...a user could select the fields that repeat and then enter the number of times or have the system prompt AGAIN? after each entry.  There seems to be only a few fields that have dittos - for example, I have not really ever seen the Barometer field have them, and only on occasion the various temperature fields.   
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 04:20:01 pm by Randi »

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 03:53:13 pm »
Maikel has suggested a simpler solution than both or ours, Kathy. He  thought the dragging could be problematic and suggested that the current row be initialized with values from the previous row. If this was optional then the user could decide whether more values had changed than not in a given row before activating the initialization. This would not just apply to dittos, but for any value because dittos are not always used. Another advantage of this is that sometimes it's only the last digit of value that has changed so you would only have to change that digit, rather than enter the whole number or code

I think this solution would be simpler to implement than dragging or specifying a number of repeats. It wouldn't save much time in my Jamestown situation but this is probably a special case anyway.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:16:58 pm by Craig »

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 05:11:30 pm »
Wow - I wish I had thought of that!  Maikel's solution is the best, I think - just change what needs to be changed. He is some kind of programming genius  :-*

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 08:48:40 pm »
I think another time-saving feature would be to customise the capture screen so that it reflects the log page. Often, I have to tab over multiple columns that are not pertinent, although perhaps I have done more than my share of non-standard logs.  This is something that could be set up before hand by those documenting the ship. The various configurations could be coded and the code associated with a ship (or a group of books within a ship) so that the software only has to pass the code to a function that brings up the appropriate capture screen. Of course, this would have to be coordinated with the display on the right side of the main screen. This feature may be less important in the more recent logs though. It is particularly annoying when the log columns are in a different order relative to the capture screen.

(You may ask why I don't just use the mouse in these cases. It's because my right hand would be continually going back and forth between the mouse and the keypad. Perhaps it's easier for left handed people?  ;D)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 10:02:11 pm »
I type with my right hand and mouse with my left hand.

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:40:13 pm »
Morning/Afternoon/Evening all.
Another lovely day in Oz.

I use left pointer for tab and left thumb for ctrl and they stay there. A Right finger hits v for ctrl v which I use for the dittos.

Is it possible to program a transparent overlay like an excel page where you can fill down?
Where is Maikels idea to be found?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:44:22 pm by Pommy Stuart »

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 10:59:37 pm »
I type with my right hand and mouse with my left hand.

I'll have to practice that. But a simpler modification would be to have a switch on each variable in the weather observation screen. They could be turned off or on. When off, the tab would skip over that variable.

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 11:01:49 pm »
Morning/Afternoon/Evening all.
Another lovely day in Oz.

I use left pointer for tab and left thumb for ctrl and they stay there. A Right finger hits v for ctrl v which I use for the dittos.

Is it possible to program a transparent overlay like an excel page where you can fill down?
Where is Maikels idea to be found?

That's what I suggested at first, Stewart, but Maikel's suggestion to fill each new line with the values in the previous line is much simpler to implement and better, I think. They can then be easily modified, or left alone if they haven't changed.

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 12:08:53 am »
Just another idea to consider is to have software that could adjust the scanned pages so that they would be straight. Sometimes the best image the people scanning the pages can get is necessarily crooked. As soon as the pages are scanned, it would be nice to have software "look" at each page and adjust it so the horizontal lines are really horizontal.

Michael

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 12:15:55 am »
Michael, does that work when the line is curved?  Straight-but-slanted isn't half as hard to follow as bent. 

Just hoping for a miracle out there in cyber-space.  ;)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 12:29:10 am »
I wish!!!  :)

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 07:04:02 am »
I would like to make a remark here.

To fulfil his own needs Craig has conveniently left out some remarks I also made.

I made the suggestion of filling the next line with previous values in a context where he asked me if his idea of dragging values in the table is feasible.

Without any knowledge of the OW interface, I said that everything is possible, but dragging might be too complicated for his purpose.
Filling the input window with the previous values is much easier.

I don't have enough knowledge of the other logs, I've only done Thetis and Yorktown.
For those two vessel having pre-filled values would be a nightmare.

The values are mostly not the same and altering is just as much work, if not more.
Pre-filled values could lead to the misconception or laziness that values will be correct.
If there is no pre-filled value, you have to read the value from the log, otherwise you will not have a value.

Please remember that OW has to cater for many types of logs.
Having to make a separate input window for each type of log is time and resource consuming.
From what I've learned thus far, neither of those are available in abundance in Zooniverse.

The resulting compromise will always have limitations for a particular type of log.
In general I'm happy with thing as they are.

The only improvement I would like to see is having all entered values in the table and the ability to click on one to correct it.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 07:32:24 am »
Even on my small laptop screen, the right sidebar could be made about 3/4 of an inch (about 20mm) wider and the sidebar check tables font smaller, before running the full page wide magnifiers off the screen and unreadable.  It would take a full rewrite, not a small revision, but that's what we are speculating about here.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 07:46:52 am »
I'd like to see the check tables below the log page. That would leave plenty of room for the log page and for the tables.
(With 24 entries per day, the check tables are soon out of synch with the log page anyway.)