Author Topic: Albatross (1900) -- Crew Lists  (Read 24708 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Albatross (1900) -- Crew Lists
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 09:23:30 am »
I've had the same experience - I discovered a yellow fever epidemic on my ship - just trying to figure out how to spell a name!

He is in http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=3963.msg73984#msg73984 ;), but without all the info you have here.
(it is often easiest to use * * * Index - Use this to find your Ship * * * to find the topic you want)

If you don't mind, I will move this post to that topic. Please let me know if that is OK.

camiller

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 04:31:12 pm »
 8) 

Witgren

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 05:16:23 pm »
Sounds good, Randi!  Thanks!

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 05:24:11 pm »
A (belated) welcome (back) to the forum family ;D

Witgren

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 12:43:27 am »
A few crew and passenger notes from May 2nd, 1900:

"Transferred J. Bourke (Fl.O.) with the necessary transfer papers and outfit to the U.S.S. Yosemite."

"Professors Mitsukuri and Iijima of the Imperial University, Tokyo with an assistant came on board to take passage for the cruise in Japanese waters."

"F. Kenter (Sea) and J. Norman (Sea) returned from liberty 1/2 hour overtime and drunk the latter becoming disorderly, was confined in single irons by order of the Captain for safe-keeping. "

Link to log page:

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Albatross/vol036of055/vol036of055_069_1.jpg

I was able to track down the two Professors --

Kakachi Mitsukuri was a Japanese zoologist who got Ph.D.'s at both Yale and John Hopkins Universities in the U.S.:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakichi_Mitsukuri

Isao Iijima was likewise a Japanese zoologist and apparently the son of a rather progressive samurai.  His death announcement appeared in Vol. 53 of Science (Jan-Jun 1921):

http://books.google.com/books?id=6NEOAAAAIAAJ&lpg=PA356&ots=WPJjKZ0nx9&dq=imperial%20university%20isao%20iijima&pg=PA356#v=onepage&q=imperial%20university%20isao%20iijima&f=false

The article notes the following about both professors Mitsukuri and Iijima - "Foreign zoologists will always remember Iijima, side by side with Kakichi Mitsukuri, as taking foremost and genial place in all zoological matters in Japan."

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 02:52:09 am »
Now that's opportunity - diplomatic relations improved, and the guests get to exchange ideas on how to equip a Fish Commission ship. :)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 07:59:13 am »
 8)

Witgren

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 05:51:15 am »
May 18, 1900

"Dr. H. F. Moore, Naturalist U.S.F.C. left the ship to go to Kobe. Made preparations for sea."

This might be of interest to some: a report by the Dr. Moore mentioned in the log notation above, titled "The Albatross South Sea Expedition".

http://penbay.org/cof/cof_1900_5.pdf

It's a part of the U.S. Commission of Fish and Fisheries Report of The Commissioner for the Year Ending June 30, 1900.

Most of it is about travels of the Albatross beginning in September 1899, but does continue right up until shortly after he leaves the Albatross as noted in the log entry above in May 1900 and notes the Albatross "sailed for Hokodate on June 1 [...] the ship was much delayed by fogs and reached Hokodate on June 8. After coaling she sailed June 12 for Alaska, where she was at the end of the fiscal year."  So a little foreshadowing of what's to come here shortly - once the Albatross gets prepped for sea and coaled up, she's heading north.

The report is a contrast to the log entries, most of the narrative entries have been things like "heaved over Tanner trawler and towed 20 min" and notes like the depth, state of the sea bottom, and courses steered by the ship.    No notations on what was brought up in the nets or trawls, except to note when a trawl was brought up damaged or net torn when heaved aboard.

Dr. Moore's report, on the other hand, notes "The trawling was very good, and rich collections of fish, crustaceans, worms, echinoderms, and mollusca were obtained.  Two large tanks were filled with specimens of Melacrinus, a "stone lily," formerly rare, and stalkless crinoids of several species were obtained, and a number of silicieous sponges, including half a score of the beautiful glass-like Venus' flower basket (Eupectella), were taken in the trawls[...]"

So for anyone that's taking the time to transcribe those narrative log entries of dropping the trawls and sounding the bottom and wondering (like I was) what the heck they were doing with all the trawls and nets they were dragging off the coast of Japan, the last page of that report give some idea of why they were doing what they were doing and what they were finding.

Not all that relevant to the weather data we're really after, I suppose, but still neat to know.

I put this in the crew discussion because of the reference to Dr. Moore, but if the moderators think it's more appropriate in another thread, by all means shift it around.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 07:51:19 am »
Things like this make the transcribing, and the forum, more interesting.

I think here and the Discussion topic are both correct. You might put a short note in the Discussion topic with a link to this post.

Witgren

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 05:37:31 am »
From the narrative log on May 27, 1900:

A. Kerr (Sea) G. Nicolas (Sea) A. Bereman (Sea) returned on board at 400 am, having left the ship without permission during the night. Absent overtime J. Brew (CP) and J. Lagerward (Sea) [...] J Lagerward (Sea) and J Brew (Cp) returned on board 15 hrs overtime

Not sure what rank abbreviation "Cp" is for J. Brew.  Carpenter maybe?

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Albatross/vol036of055/vol036of055_094_1.jpg

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 06:22:39 am »
From Helpful Links to Outside Information, "CODES AND OTHER ABBREVIATIONS" section: Abbreviations Used for Navy Enlisted Ratings, 1775-1969.

CP - Construction Apprentice

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 08:36:57 am »
I have a feeling that in 1900 it was coal passer :-\

http://www.cem.va.gov/CEM/docs/abbreviations/Ranks_Navy.pdf
CP     COAL PASSER
CP     CONSTRUCTION APPRENTICE

As oil became the primary fuel in use in the Navy the rating of Coal Passer was no longer needed and it was changed to Fireman in 1917.
Abbreviations Used for Navy Enlisted Ratings, 1775-1969 lists abbreviations for Fireman, but nothing to do with coal.

Witgren

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 04:09:53 am »
From the May 30, 1900 log narrative --

The Commanding Officer investigated reports and awarded the following punishments. Kerr A. (Sea) Nicolas G. (Sea) Bereman A. (Sea) leaving ship without permission: - Double irons for 5 days. Brew J. (cp) Lagerward J. (Sea) 15 hours overtime - Reduced 2 classes; 30 days quarantine. Lee Sam Chung (Mess Att) with his accounts and papers was transferred from the vessel to the U.S. Naval Hospital, Yokohama.

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Albatross/vol036of055/vol036of055_097_1.jpg

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 10:55:56 pm »
17th August 1900, 4pm-6pm:

The captain investigated reports at the mast and awarded punishments as follows:- F Gum (Oil) :- not getting up steam in launch after having been re-peatedly told to do so : Reduced one class. F Huter (Sea) :- Deliberately spitting on the deck :- Reduced two classes.

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Albatross/vol036of055/vol036of055_177_1.jpg

(Edit: note correction of HUNTER to HUTER)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:37:40 pm by Danny252 »

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 08:13:20 pm »
A few new names I've come across, and a couple of cases where I've found the full names of crew members previously mentioned.

As mentioned in the discussion thread several times, fishery expert Henry Clifford Fassett was on board the ship for several years (I can find sources saying he was on board as far back as 1889). He does not have a naval rank, and instead is referred to as "Mr. Fassett".

A mention of our troublesome J. Brew and one other on the 22nd of August. In the following days, J Brew is referred to as John Brew:

Johnson, J (CP) Drunk and disorderly on shore. Reduced to 4th Class.
Brew, J (CP). Overstaying leave. Returning on board drunk, boisterous and disorderly, resisting arrest. To be tried by a SCM

John Brew (CP), a prisoner at large to be tried by a Summary Court Martial, received a copy of the specification at 8:30am.

G. Nicholas' full name is given as George Nicholas:

Geo. Nicholas (sea) was confined in double irons for 5 days for criticizing the Commanding officer

Ensign Hepburn was granted a 6 month leave of absence on the 9th of October:

Ensign A J Hepburn left the ship in leave of absence for six (6) mths
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:30:14 pm by Danny252 »