Author Topic: Albatross (1900) -- Discussion: Questions and Comments  (Read 97788 times)

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: Albatross (1900) -- Discussion: Questions and Comments
« Reply #240 on: November 11, 2014, 07:11:14 pm »
The Albatross' logs take a leap after the 30th June 1901, skipping forwards to 1st March 1904. Yay, change!

I've finalised the crew listings for 1900/1901 (see the Crew Thread), and will start a new set for 1904. Similarly, I'll start a new course map, and the final 1900/1901 map can be found here.

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 11, 2014, 08:48:42 pm »
You skip three years of logbooks, and this is the sort of madness we come back to: http://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb99328714

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 11, 2014, 09:18:55 pm »
I wonder if that could be related to the missing log books ;)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 12, 2014, 03:38:58 pm »
Danny252 passes the 9000 mark!

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2014, 07:00:35 pm »
Huzzah!

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 18, 2014, 10:15:31 pm »
I have updated the map link to include the start of the 1904 journey - if you download the file, you'll be able to select which parts of the voyage to view easily.

Keen-eyed voyage followers will note a new type of data point (the fish and hook symbol) in the 1904 voyage, which denotes Dredging locations. The logbook is often fairly vague about where the ship was during dredging operations, and some days no mention of location is made at all. However, the published results of the dredging surveys include a very detailed record of the time and location of each individual dredging run, and I have used these to create the "Dredging" data points. Each data point includes the number of the dredging station and the location details used.

For these specific dredging runs, the data comes from the Bureau of Fisheries Document 604, "Dredging and Hydrographic Records of the US Fisheries Steamer Albatross for 1904 and 1905". This can be found in the Bureau report for 1905, which can be downloaded from the NOAA website.

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 27, 2014, 09:18:12 am »
04/04/04

The 4th of April 1904 was an interesting day for crew being AWOL. Firstly, one crew member who had previously left without permission was returned by the local authorities in San Diego:

Quote from: 8am to Midnight
J Wilsen, Sea, brought on board by civil authorities. Placed in confinement on full rations until further orders.

However, this was then followed by several other crewmembers running off. Two later returned, but the slippery antics of McGinnis are somewhat amusing - presumably he heard what had happened to Drummond and legged it before they could get him in chains...

Quote from: 8am to Midnight
At 12.30pm, C E Hendrikson, F2C, left ship without permission. At 1.30pm, D Drummond, Oil, T J Healy, Oil, and E M McGinnis, F2C, were found absent without permission. D Drummond, Oiler, returned at 7.45pm, and was confined in double irons. E M McGinnis, F2C, returned on board at 10.50pm, and again left without permission.

However, the tale only continues to get more amusing, as the absentees continued to evade the efforts of the officers for two more days!

05/04/04

Quote from: Midnight to 8am
C E Hendrikson, F2C, came on board during the night, and left again. T J Healy, Oil, found on board at 7.00am and placed in confinement till further orders.

06/04/04

E M McGinnis, F2C, and C E Hendrikson, F2C, returned on board at 12m from absence without leave. By order of Commanding Officer McGinnis was placed in confinement; Hendrikson could not be found in ship at 7am.

C E Hendrikson, F2C, returned on board from absence without leave and by order of Commanding Oficer was placed in confinement.

07/04/04

The men were released from confinement just after the ship left port - i.e. they were no longer able to run off again!

By order of Commanding officer the following men were released from confinement and restored to duty: C E Hendrikson, F2C, D Drummond, Oil, E M McGinnis, F2C, T J Healy, Oil, J Wilsen, Sea

09/04/04

The punishments were awarded to days later:

Quote from: 8am to Meridian
Commanding officer awarded follwing punishments: D Drummond, Oil, and T J Healy, Oil, leaving ship without permission, reduced to Firemen 1 class; E M McGinnis, F2C, and C E Hendrikson, F2C, same offence, reduced to CP; J Wilsen, Sea, 8 days absent without leave, 3 days confinement and 10 days quarantine; C A Olsen, McA1c, leaving ship without permission, tight, and neglect of duty 3 weeks restriction.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 04:58:17 pm by Danny252 »

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 27, 2014, 09:31:40 am »
I wonder if that could be related to the missing log books ;)
:o Maybe the goat ate them. ::)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 29, 2014, 07:33:31 am »
bjoret
Welcome to the top 12 !

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 30, 2014, 07:03:08 pm »
bjoret passes the 250 mark!

SlaneeBird

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2014, 10:58:09 am »
Hi, this is only my fourth page for transcription so I would love a little guidance on:

1) whether to, in general, put declarations of desertion and absence without leave as Mentions (Person) or Events?  Currently I have marked Line and Bond in a Mention each (with the desertion / AWOL recorded as the context).

2) whether to, in this specific case in which the log page has an additional loose leaf page listing several different dates and members of the crew declared as deserters across various dates, include each of these as a separate Mention / Event and specify each of the different dates??

3) I also noted that there is a crew list on the forum, should I make a post outlining these desertions?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Sian (SlaneeBird)

P.S.  I'll past the link to the log here if anyone cares to see what I mean (http://oldweather.org/transcriptions/54842e863f2fd84c5c018194/edit) and I'll follow up tomorrow (my time, I'm in Australia).

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 07, 2014, 01:07:32 pm »
Hi, SlaneeBird,

Only the moderators can read that edit link - the rest of the forum needs to see the jpeg link for the scan, which is http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Albatross/vol037of055/vol037of055_083_1.jpg .  (See Posting Links and Images (A Guide))

This was the answer I made some time ago, quoted below.  As to the crew lists on the forum, that is left to the transcriber's choice.  You can do anything from entering the real names to just giving the jpeg url and saying what date that is for.

Rules for the comments page are very relaxed, not like the weather data.  We have been strongly encouraged to not combine two or more names on a single mentions tab, but we have never been required to tab places or ships more than once.

Using the Mentions or Location tabs in the comments is to provide a search index for the online scanned pictures.  As long as you have tabbed it once, it should be OK.  Especially if you are transcribing the paragraph as an event.  Especially since it's all optional anyway.  ;)

Animals and sea ice are a bit different - Kevin is using those tabs to count sightings, not days.  Again, it is optional.  But any and all descriptions and counts you include will get used.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:17:08 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 07, 2014, 02:24:51 pm »
Good to have you aboard!

Janet already covered the basics, but I'll add a couple of comments from a slightly different view point ;)

1) The ones you did are fine. The only change I would suggest is that the rank be included with the name:
Mentions | Person | Name = Eugene Y. Line (M Att)   Context = Eugene Y. Line (M Att) was this day declared a deserter from this vessel and US Naval Service

2) As Janet says, people are optional. I would include the people on the additional loose leaf page. That format is a bit tricky! You can enter as much or as little as you want to, but please do not edit or summarize. Guessing, with faint writing running into the spine of the log book, is permitted - in fact it is unavoidable! Here are a couple of possibilities:
Mentions | Person | Name = A E Bartlett   Context = 18 Oct 1900 A E Bartlett declared a deserter from 8 Oct, 10 days absent without leave
or
Mentions | Person | Name = A E Bartlett   Context = 18 Oct 1900 A E Bartlett declared a deserter from 8 Oct
or simply
Mentions | Person | Name = A E Bartlett   Context = declared a deserter

The line between guessing and editing can be pretty thin on occasion! Here I have transcribed the date as 8 Oct, but 8th Oct and 8"Oct would also be reasonable guesses :P

3) Again, as Janet says, if and how you add to the Crew List is up to you. There is a wide variety of styles. In this particular case, I would suggest coordinating your work with Danny252 since he has already done quite a bit of work. The Crew List can be very helpful when you are trying to read a name!

If you have more questions or something still isn't clear, don't hesitate to ask!

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 07, 2014, 03:51:50 pm »
3) Again, as Janet says, if and how you add to the Crew List is up to you. There is a wide variety of styles. In this particular case, I would suggest coordinating your work with Danny252 since he has already done quite a bit of work. The Crew List can be very helpful when you are trying to read a name!

I would very much welcome any corrections or queries about the lists I've thrown together!

From November 1900 onwards, I put together a monthly list of names mentioned, along with an overall summary list of crewmembers. Given how many names there are, typos and missing information is quite likely...

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 12, 2014, 10:08:41 pm »
Danny252 passes the 10,000 mark!