Author Topic: Get me started here please?  (Read 1128 times)

cmcgee03

• View Profile
Get me started here please?
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:40:51 pm »
I'm starting off on my first ship's log (from 1890!), and am having difficulty reading the longhand bits. I don't want to miss anything of interest, so I am trying to learn to read this guy's script. Unfortunately, I'm having a rough time of it. (One, I can't read his handwriting, and two, I don't know all of the nautical lingo involved.)

The page I'm working on is at the bottom of the post (or here: http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Albatross/vol022of055/vol022of055_056_1.jpg).

Here's what I have so far. I have bolded areas that I am asking for help with.
Italics denotate a comment from me (not part of the log).
Line breaks are at the same place as the source document. ~ denotates a single illegible character that I don't even have a guess for.

If you guys could help me make sense of this, I'm sure it would help me a lot with the rest of this log.

under the command of Lieut. Commander P. L. Janner, U.S. Navy
Tuesday, August 19th, 1890

RECORD OF THE MISCELLANEOUS EVENTS OF THE DAY.

Commences and until 4 a.m.
Clear and pleasant. Light airs from E.S.E to
S.S.E. Engines stopped, ship heading between N.N.E & S.S.E.
~~ to 8 And."        illegible Ensign?
Clear and pleasant. Light airs how South and West off
Lt. 15 startid ahead on course S.S.E 3/8 E.  Put over log reading 23. At 4:40 changed course
to SE 1/2 S  At 5:05 sounded, Ley dis ~~ 252 ~, 247 hrs, gn M. Black Head, bearing S.E.xE 1/2 E,
dis 9'.1. At 5:15 ahead on course S.S.E 1/4 E.  At 5:53 sounded, Leydis No. 2528 #9 hrs. bk. A.m.
Black Head bearing S E 7/8 E, dis 7'.0. Put over fishing lines for 20 min. At 6.50 ahead
on course S.S.E. At 6:19 sounded, Leydis ~~~ 2529, 43 f~~s bk. ~. Black Head, bearing SE x E 1/2 E
dis 4.'s/ Put over fish lines for 10 min. At 6:35 ahead same course. At 7:00 sounded Dredge
No. 3323, 5' fins, fine bk S. Black Head, bearing, E 1/2 N. dis 1.'5. Put over fish lines for
10 mins, their large beam waive for 15 mins. At 7:45 ahead on course, S.S.N 1/2 N.
Par. log at 8:00, 37.7 Sleain 65. Ren 6 3.   Mart~~~~~ John ~~~~  Ensign

8 A.M. 6- Merid.
Clear and pleasant. Light airs and heyes from North.
At 8:05 took Hydro No. 2530 mi 42 ms, bk S & sh. log 37.7, A point of Chenoffsky Harbor
bearing E.S.E 3/4 E. (mag dis 0'.9. Put over fish lines for 30 min. Ahead at 8:40 on course
SE x E 1/4 E, and at 8:60 took Leydis No. 2431 in 10' fins, bk. D&G, log 38.6. A Point of
Chernoffsky Hr. bearing 7x E 1/4 E / mag ^dis 0.2. Ahead at 8:52 and stood into-Cher-
noffsky Hr. and at 9:20 came came to off the village with pout anchor in
10 hms. walui, and moored to 30 fms. chain. Banked fies. Beamigs from
anchorage. Church NW 1/2 N. (mag). and Point (no name S 3/4 E (mag)
Loosed sail 6- ary at 10:00. Log 40.0 when hauled in.  Illegible, Ensign.

Clear and pleasant. Light breeze from North. Louvend
slenin launch At 2:00 slining party left the ship. Furled sail
at 4:00.  Illegible, Ensign.

#6-8 P.M Clear and pleasant. Light breeze from North to
N.N.W. Swimming party returned at 5:30. Hoisted sliain - launch.
started dyn ahuo at 7:20.  illegible, Ensign.

8 P.M.  6-Mid:
Cloudy to fair weather. Light-airs from N.N.W.
Stopped dynanio adv 11.00  illegible Ensign.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:08:03 am by cmcgee03 »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • The sea is large; it knows more than any of us.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Get me started here please?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 12:26:09 am »
I see you, cmcgee03.  Welcome.  I'm going to work this through and get back to you.

I recommend you look at some reference posts we have put together for all beginners, things us veterans learned the hard way, on the  Getting Your Sealegs board.  The first 2 topics are meant for these questions.  Everyone experienced here likes to help.  The place to look for reference material regarding matters like nautical language is our Library Reference Desk.  These are designed to provide landlubber veterans with all kinds of helpful background material.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 01:03:14 am »
First, for all page headings (stuff above the heavy line up top) the 2 pieces of info we require are Date and Location.  These may be on different pages, but will be applied to both by the computer - just TWYS (Type What You See).  :)

For all officers' names, since signatures are always to most illegible, we've put together lists of who is what.  This is also to create a bank of knowledge, since there are only yearly reports to Congress naming who is on what ship - no organized database anywhere.  Albatross's 1890 crew are listed here:  http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=3962.msg73614#msg73614

The commanding officer of your ship is a very interesting man: 
Tanner, Zera Luther.     *** Lieut. Commander ***
Acting Ensign, 18 August, 1862. Acting Master, 29 September, 1864. Ensign, 12 March, 1868. Master, 18 December, 1868. Lieutenant, 21 March, 1870. Lieutenant Commander, 22 February, 1883. Commander, 7 February, 1893. Retired List, 5 December, 1897.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zera_Luther_Tanner
Commences and until 4 a.m.   Clear and pleasant. Light airs from E.S.E to S.S.E. Engines stopped, ship heading between N.N.E & S.S.E.
illegible Ensign?  (Comparing the shape of that scribbled signer to the crew list, that was W.W.Gilmer, Ensign, signing for the first watch.)

4 to 8AM.
Clear and pleasant. Light airs from South and West. At 4.15 started ahead on course S.S.E 3/8 E.  (Yes to that fraction - there is a post on reading 128 point compasses, and others on the difference between compass direction and course setting.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearing_(navigation)

Put over log reading 23. At 4:40 changed course to SE 1/2 S  (That would be the log that measures ship speed. Scroll down this post to "Log" http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=3209.msg52131#msg52131

At 5:05 sounded, hydro (they are using a hydrometer to test deep sea water)  No. 2527, 247 fms(abbreviation for fathoms), gn (my best guess, I don't know either) M. Black Head (name of the landmark they are taking bearings on to determine location.), bearing S.E.xE 1/2 E, dis 9'.1(Perfect - distance to Black Head is 9.1 miles.)

Note many abbreviations are written No for Number (serial number designated the specific instrument being used) Ed for Eastward.  We type them No. and E'd  This and many other cases of our keyboards being too inflexible is covered in Type What You See - Yes, but ...

At 5:53 sounded hydro No. 2528 49 fms. bk. A.m. Black Head bearing S E 7/8 E, dis 7'.0.

At 6:19 sounded, hydro No. 2529, 43 fms bk. S. Black Head,

At 7:00 sounded Dredge No. 3323, 5' fms, ~ bk S. Black Head,

Put over fish lines for 10 mins, then large beam trawl for 15 mins.

At 7:45 ahead on course, SSW 1/2 N.  (2 and 3 letter directional groups can never include both N and S, or both E and W.) Pat. (abb. for Patent) log at 8:00, 37.7  (the measured results from the streaming log.) Steam 65. Revs  (revolutions) 6 3. (engine settings)   Marbury Johnston     Ensign  (stolen from the Crew List again.)

More coming.   :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:13:13 am by Janet Jaguar »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 05:29:28 am »
8 A.M. to Merid. (Merid. = abbrev. of Meridian, Latin for Noon)
Clear and pleasant. Light airs and breezes from North.

At 8:05 took Hydro No. 2530 in 42 fms,bk S & st. log 37.7, (they streamed their patent log to measure speed) A point off Chenoffsky Harbor (locating direction of harbor relative to ship) bearing E.S.E 3/4 E (mag) dis 0'.9. (bearing taken using a magnetic compass, and the harbor is 0.9 miles distant.  Nautical miles are logged using the mark of "minute" in latitude because one minute of one degree of latitude on the globe is 1 nautical mile in length at the equator.) (Chernofsky Harbor - modern spelling - can be found here and also here)

Put over fish lines for 30 min. Ahead at 8:40 on course SE x E 1/4 E, and at 8:60 took hydro No. 2431 in 10' fms, bk. S&G, log 38.6.   A Point of (should be "off" but transcribe logkeeper's error) Chernoffsky Hr. bearing ESE 1/4 E (mag) dis 0.2.

Ahead at 8:52 and stood into (perfect!) Chernoffsky Hr. and at 9:20 came came to off the village with port anchor in 10 fms. water, and moored to 30 fms. chain. Banked fires. (They are a steamer ship with boilers.)

Bearings from anchorage. Church NW 1/2 N. (mag). and Point (no name S 3/4 E (mag) (anchorage bearings taken so that they will notice if/when the ship starts drifting or turning around its anchor chain.)
Loosed sail to dry at 10:00. Log 40.0 when hauled in. E.W.Eberle, Ensign. (shape of scribble matches Edward W. Eberle    Ensign)

Clear and pleasant. Light breeze from North. Lowered steam launch At 2:00 seining party left the ship. Furled sail at 4:00.  E.W.Eberle, Ensign. 

(The Fish Commission ships like the Albatross all carried small boats (launches) that had their own boilers and were steam-powered, allowing some crew to be sent on detached duties.)

4 to 8 P.M Clear and pleasant. Light breeze from North to N.N.W. seining party returned at 5:30.
Hoisted steam launch. started dynamo at 7:20.  E.W.Eberle, Ensign.

8 P.M. to Mid:
Cloudy to fair weather. Light-airs from N.N.W.
Stopped dynamo at 11.00  E.W.Eberle, Ensign.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:12:08 am by Janet Jaguar »

Pommy Stuart

• Database testers
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 07:21:24 am »
Marbury Johnston     Ensign turns up on the Concord
Reported for duty 29 April 1892. Detached 28 May 1895, with orders from the Navy dept to proceed home.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 07:22:25 am »
Welcome on board!

If you haven't already, be sure to check:
Albatross -- Reference: Transcription Example and Log Description (from some of your comments, I suspect you have read this - but you might want to take a closer look at the sample transcription now that you have done one yourself ;))
Albatross (1890) -- Discussion: Questions and Comments
and
What Does THAT Mean?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:30:26 am by Randi »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 07:55:58 am »
Might be abbreviations

"gn M."
green mud.

"bk.S.M."
black sand mud

"bk. S&G"
black sand and gravel

"bk S & sh"
black sand and shells
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:16:36 am by Randi »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 08:05:08 am »
Being the Fish Commission, they do sample water and bottom.  Very different in what's recorded on war ships.  I hadn't allowed for that fully.  :)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 08:13:13 am »
cmcgee03 - I think we have most of them, but if something is not clear or was missed please ask!

propriome

• Database testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 11:34:22 am »
There is a Black Rock on the other side of Umnak Pass from Konets Head, near Umnak Island... both on mapcarta, geonames, itouchmap, travelingluck (all of them coming from geonames) and on the NOAA Charts (finally back online! ;D), but no trace of Black Head there.

Even in the Coast Pilot (volume 9 covers Alaska - Chapter 7 Aleutian Islands - charts 16513,16514,16515,16516): http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/coastpilot_w.php?book=9 no mentions of Black Head... probabily it's a place that has changed its name.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 12:09:52 pm »
A modern day visit to Chernofski Harbor ;)
http://www.maineislandkayak.com/Aleutian_islands.html

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 02:46:41 pm »
There are modern charts with modern depths marked in fathoms available on the NOAA site http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/AlaskaViewerTable.shtml

The chart of the approach to Chernoffsky is http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16515.shtml
There are remarkably few names.  The only buildings anywhere marked on the map are probably that sheep ranch that was walking distance from the abandoned village the Albatross anchored near.  That is in Mailboat Cove on chart http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16516.shtml
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:28:17 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Pommy Stuart

• Database testers
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 08:27:34 pm »
Black Head.
See below.
From http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~akgenweb/Bibliography/  entry 12a.
See also 12b for more names.

(Even my ship the USS Concord and The Franklin expedition get a mention further up the page)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:35:36 pm by Pommy Stuart »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 08:36:00 pm »
Stuart, that's on the North Slope, more than 1,000 miles away.  I think they just had named something for the color of the rock, and it never got included on any official map.