Author Topic: Zooniverse news  (Read 77546 times)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Zooniverse news
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:26:08 am »
This is about our big sister,  Galaxy Zoo.  I do find this growth into other languages interesting.

Galaxy Zoo: Now Available In Mandarin

And our Planet Hunters have also been in the news.

Seven-planet solar system found

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Zooniverse news
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 11:31:19 am »
Good idea for any of the picture based 'zoos'.  The translations should be reasonably straightforward for them.

Unfortunately OW could only go down that route with foreign language logs because many of our other areas of interest involve text and not just numbers.  I suppose that the weather records from lighthouses might work if we ignored the passing ships.

It might be worth thinking about arabic as the next language for a 'zoo', the more cultural contact with that part of the world the better.

camiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 04:15:50 pm »
Has OW ever considered adding logs that weren't English, but might be easy to transcribe?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 06:22:04 pm »
Has OW ever considered adding logs that weren't English, but might be easy to transcribe?
The important factor is who will fund the extensive scanning required to get the pictures to transcribe.  In Phases I and II (defined by launching/greatly improving our interface), all of our scans were purchased from the Royal Navy archives, based on funding from the UK.  And they used logs that were relatively easy to transcribe on purpose as a "starter" project (which we finished in a third of the time they expected it to take. ;) )  Phase III (current) is funded by NOAA grants, with archive-quality scans being funded/done by NARA (US Archives.)  Neither funding source is interested in foreign ship logs.   

Everyone knows these logs are much more difficult, but we are trying to get easier ones from the archives to give newbies a good starter ship, such as Albatross 1890.  The answer to getting non-English logs done is to find the funding and scanning ability from an agency with interest in that nationality's logs.

We knew these logs were going to be quite a bit harder than the ones we're used to, and we've had some serious debates in the science team about whether it was worth the effort. But we are in no doubt - these are the logs we need to be looking at - we're not inflicting all this trouble on you for no reason.

If you've got 48 seconds to spare, watch the video at http://vimeo.com/43723075. It's a bit frenetic (and it goes backwards in time) but it does show the observations that we've currently got - that's what we're using to understand how the climate varies and changes over decades and centuries. If you look at the North Pacific, you'll see that in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries there are almost no observations, and that's a big problem - Pacific climate variability matters to a lot of people. That's why Kevin is currently shivering up in the Chukchi sea and it's why we're asking you to battle with these more challenging logs. We need these observations even more than we needed the RN WW1 ones.

When we did the Royal Navy logs we knew what they all looked like when we started building the website. The US logs are older, more variable, and we're finding the logs and building the website at the same time. This makes Arfon and Stuart's job much harder, and that makes it harder for us all. It will get better - but it's always going to be a different challenge from the old version.

So there's a strong science payoff for all the hassle, and almost certainly some fascinating new stories and history - certainly I'm expecting more strange and unexpected events to occur in these logs. Remember also that it's not a race - relax: if the site's misbehaving, knock off for a tot of rum (or a Devon cream tea), it'll still be there when you return. And rest assured that we hear what you're saying and we're trying hard to put up lots of really interesting and valuable logs, and to knock the bugs out of the user interface.

Philip
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:26:10 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 06:52:34 pm »
I think we should just focus on the US logs for now. At the rate we're going, it'll take 5 years to do all the ones we have already.
Oh, and here's a few more interesting bits of Zooniverse news:

Cell Slider is one year old and just over 50% done

What a single Facebook post can do to your numbers

camiller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 07:11:54 pm »
I'm very satisfied with th US logs, and personally familiar with the grant-writing funding process :( :o ::); the preceding discussion just inspired my question.  Thanks for the background info, Janet. I know there's a lot going on that we volunteers don't see, and am constantly amazed at just how much!

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 04:32:35 pm »
Zooniverse was mentioned as one of The World's 100 Most Inspiring Social Innovations Using Digital Technology.
The list doesn't say anything about OW, but I noticed that Cell Slider got an entry all to itself - and a lot of the other entries are really interesting, too. I liked the one on Avaaz best.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 06:20:21 pm »

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 11:42:42 am »
In case you haven't already heard about this project ...
WW1 soldier diaries placed online by National Archives
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25716569

propriome

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 12:01:09 pm »
I've had a little peek this morning :)

It's a really interesting project for everyone loving history... interface is not as quick as OW's (or, more probably, it would require a certain time before getting used to it) and something needs probably to be smoothed a little, but the project itself is fascinating.

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 04:33:55 pm »
Sounds fascinating. I find it a bit frustrating that, if I understood the Beeb correctly, the National Archives paid for the scanning of the Army records.  I think is is unfair that they are doing the Army but not the Navy.

What do we want - the rest of the WW1 Navy logs

When do we want them - before the anniversary of the start of the war!! ('Now' seems a tad unreasonable)

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 04:56:57 pm »
The article says that '25 volunteers scanned hundreds of boxes of diaries'.
Maybe the Archives can locate some volunteers to scan the remaining WWI logs.  ;)

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 06:23:39 pm »
Tried the new project's tutorial. Could be interesting for some people, but I'm sticking with OW because I'm used to it, and because I am terrible at figuring out what should be mentioned and what can be left out (that's why I don't do ship history editing).

But I totally agree with studentforever. Some RN logs would REALLY be appreciated.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 06:28:01 pm »
By gum - that WW1 Diaries thing is going to prove VERY addictive. I just sampled a page (and found, as I thought, that there were not so many useful categories of action for the medicos) and I can see it picking up a BIG following. Still - when they run out - we'll still be here to stave off the DTs. Let's hear it for the Senior Service. Hehehe!
Wanders off reciting 'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide,
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying...'

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 06:30:47 pm »
Tried the new project's tutorial. Could be interesting for some people, but I'm sticking with OW because I'm used to it, and because I am terrible at figuring out what should be mentioned and what can be left out (that's why I don't do ship history editing).

But I totally agree with studentforever. Some RN logs would REALLY be appreciated.

That's why I don't do ship history editing either ;D
(and because we need transcribers).