Author Topic: Zooniverse news  (Read 89880 times)

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Zooniverse news
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 06:50:56 pm »
I must confess that I have been beta-testing Operation War Diary, and it is very interesting on the whole (some of the HQ orders were pretty tedious, but they did not require so much detail - and they were typed - so they were quite quick to work through.  I think I'll probably stick with it, while carrying on with the ship histories of course.  What I'd really like would be the Royal Naval Division War Diaries, but they retained the naval ranks so Operation War Diary wouldn't be able to handle them as it stands (maybe they'll have a Phase 2 ...)  I think OW and OWD are going to appeal to much the same type of person so it could be that initially OW might lose some transcribers, but in the long term we might gain some as new recruits to OWD start to look at other Zooniverse projects.

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 07:06:58 pm »
I'm very tempted, but I think I just mustn't even go there - with Pioneer and Cardiff, I've enough to be getting on with ....

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 10:06:07 pm »
I'm very tempted, but I think I just mustn't even go there - with Pioneer and Cardiff, I've enough to be getting on with ....

Wise Helen - very wise.
 ;)

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 07:03:44 pm »
I must say the ODW discussion forum isn't a patch on ours!  Not at all user friendly.  It surprises me, that with all the praise the OW forum has garnered, you might think it would be the model for the forum on a later history project.  Oh well, mine is not to reason why!

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 08:13:13 pm »
I am sure the people who are working on Operation War Diary are also friendly, helpful and supportive - though I may never find out because their forum seems very hard to navigate your way around compared to ours!  However, I did stumble across something useful there which may be of benefit to us on OW, and I don't remember seeing it mentioned before (though I don't keep up with the discussions around the US ships so I could have missed it).

They have one of the same problems with the diaries that we have with the log books - difficult to read because of the lack of contrast.  A long time ago, Google Chrome corrected this automatically but no longer seems to do so.  However, you can get a free tool for Chrome called Sheen: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sheen/mopkplcglehjfbedbngcglkmajhflnjk
You can easily apply various filters to the page including one that will sharpen the contrast.

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 06:39:36 pm »
I found two good articles in The Guardian about the Zooniverse and citizen science in general.

This one is a little old, but very nice. I like this very true statement:

The Zoo has a reputation, Schawinski suggests, for being the most polite place on the Internet. "It is the only website where people say please and thank you."

This one is newer and focuses more on citizen science in general. I'm not sure if some of the projects mentioned can really be called games, but it is very interesting to see what other citizen scientists are up to.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 06:49:08 pm »
 ;D

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 08:04:36 pm »
Galaxy Zoo started in 2007?! :o How time flies.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 08:52:27 pm »
The Zoo has a reputation, Schawinski suggests, for being the most polite place on the Internet. "It is the only website where people say please and thank you."

Not the ONLY place!!! ;D 8)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 09:06:35 pm »
Just the best - thanks to all of you
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Clewi

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 12:33:36 pm »
This one is newer and focuses more on citizen science in general. I'm not sure if some of the projects mentioned can really be called games, but it is very interesting to see what other citizen scientists are up to.

So, we're online gamers? They call it games because of the gamification of some projects, including OW. Although there are worse examples out there. Don't get me wrong, I'm an avid gamer myself. But if I want to play a game, I play a game. And if I want to do something useful I come to OW. I'm not here because of the gamification, but despite of it. It suggests that volunteers can only be attracted by some kind of game. Which I find insulting, especially if the media emphasizes this aspect. Besides, it has very little, if anything, in common with real games, which are often quite sophisticated (and I'm not talking about cheesy smartphone stuff like Angy Birds!). The article mentions Galaxy Zoo and Planet Hunters. Did anyone try them? I did! Did it feel like playing a game? I think not! Sorry for the rant.

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 01:08:54 pm »
I, for one, agree with you.  I don't need virtual rewards to contribute to this effort.

Kevin

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 01:55:06 pm »
What I've heard in the background is that overdoing the 'gaming' is probably not so useful for substantive projects and may be actually detrimental if the game is easily mastered (and hence becomes boring).

Clewi

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 03:20:04 pm »
Just call it what it is: 'volunteer service', preliminary work for scientific projects or whatever. I reckon that this might attract more people.

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 05:34:49 pm »
The history part interests me in a different way to the weather.  I enjoyed the RN ships because of both aspects. I got a kick when the scientists shared some of the improvements which our data had helped them to make and I think that this was the main thing which kept me going on the weather.  I liked the structure of the RN logs and would happily go back to transcribing this sort of weather data. 

I didn't like the look of the American logs and, as a volunteer, I look for something useful and personally rewarding.  I don't have good 3-D skills and am much better with text although I did enjoy Serengeti.  I've tried some of the astronomical sites and they don't 'grab' me, I think that the problem is that I don't know enough to build a picture of the data while the weather data is something which is part of everyday life (regularly read out on the shipping forecast!)