Author Topic: Help! I'm brand new  (Read 2080 times)

KiltedSwede

• View Profile
Help! I'm brand new
« on: December 19, 2013, 07:31:03 pm »
I'm probably missing something, but I can't find it anywhere.

I took the tutorial, looked at the list of ships and chose the Perry.  I did some transcribing, but had to go away, so I logged off.

When I signed back in, I was not a member of any ship and could not find my old work.  How do I join a ship, and how do I save work in progress (or do I have to do it all in one sitting).

And a transcribing question.  The first page does not have the date, the second page does, so do I put the date only on the second page?

Thanks.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Help! I'm brand new
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 07:38:11 pm »

I took the tutorial, looked at the list of ships and chose the Perry.  I did some transcribing, but had to go away, so I logged off.

When I signed back in, I was not a member of any ship and could not find my old work.  How do I join a ship, and how do I save work in progress (or do I have to do it all in one sitting).

And a transcribing question.  The first page does not have the date, the second page does, so do I put the date only on the second page?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, if you don't click "I've finished with this page", your work will not be saved. You can save a page and go back and edit it later.

With the date, you are correct. You only include the date on the page where it appears.

asterix135

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 07:42:51 pm »
Hi & welcome.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other responses, but quickly:

1) You don't "join" a ship, other than in the sense of feeling personally attached to it and choosing it to be your main transcribing boat.  You have to go look it up each time (the interface doesn't remember what you last worked on).  So you can either bookmark the ship page (http://www.oldweather.org/ships/523c928e68f4b82a89000002 for the Perry), or go through the Vessels --> Search Vessels link at the top of the home page.  (or do what I do and google "old weather Perry")

2) Your progress is saved each time you complete a page.  If you don't click the "I've finished with this page" button your work is lost.  You can see what you've done so far through either the "My old weather" link or the "my pages" link at the top of the transcription/home pages (once you've signed in - see graphic below).

3) As for transcribing date or whatever - do it on whatever page the information is on.  If the information is not on the page, don't worry about omitting it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:45:45 pm by asterix135 »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 07:43:03 pm »
I add the link to my ship's home page (http://www.oldweather.org/ships/523c928e68f4b82a89000002 for Perry) to my favorites to make it easy to find.

To edit, click on the button at the top right with your name on it and then select either "My Pages" (my preference) or "My old Weather".

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 07:52:51 pm »
You can bookmark any vessel's page.  That will let you got directly to the "transcribe" button for that ship.

You can bookmark your My Old Weather, in the dropdown under your user name at the top right.  That will give you any ship you have saved pages on, and access to your last 10 transcribed pages at page bottom.

You can open the interface at each of those - the login page will appear first, but you will go directly to your choice after that.

And the pages are scanned as one photo for both pages in the open book and then cut in half by the computer so we do one page at a time.  The header location and date get applied to both halves, no matter which they are written on.

Welcome to the forum.  Ask away, we enjoy aswering.  :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:54:27 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:25:52 pm »
Thanks.

WELCOME!!  Don't feel bad.  :-[ We were ALL newbies once!  ;) Come here often and ask for help.  ;D We are a friendly bunch, we don't bite, and we are always willing to help! :-*

Check out other sections of the FORUM where you will always fine a helpful answer (Or we'll make UP something that looks good. ::)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 12:30:58 am »
Hi KiltedSwede,
I just wanted to say what a brilliant avatar name you've chosen.
Hope you are having an easier time of it!  We all went through the same phase as we started.
All the best
Avast Me Hearties - also known as Joan