Author Topic: Submission time AND Pages Repeating  (Read 14306 times)

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: Submission time AND Pages Repeating
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 10:57:36 am »
I don't think it's that, Hanibal. I have done a lot on the Jamestown 1879 and the response is normal. There was short period 4 or 5 days ago when it was a bit slow but that didn't last long.

I did a couple of pages on the Pioneer just now and the response was immediate. I am using Firefox.

I wonder if it depends on the time of day and the number of people transcribing?

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 12:10:27 pm »
I had the impression when reading Arfon's description of the computer system a few months ago that there was a general front-end for all Zooniverse projects. If that's the case, then heavy activity on other projects could slow down our OW response time and this could depend on the time of day. It wouldn't matter what ship we are transcribing, what browser we are using, where we are geographically or how many weather reports we had done on a ship.

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 01:08:21 pm »
I'm not sure. I did a few pages on the Bear just now, and it took about 3 - 4 seconds to load a new page.
But when I tried the Pioneer, it was more like 10 seconds - like always.

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 04:25:14 pm »
It's interesting that you don't have the problem when editing though, Hanibal.  Perhaps when you edit you don't have to go through the Zooniverse front-end application because the page you are editing has already been assigned to you.

However, if other projects are having the same problem you would think we would have heard about it by now.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 07:48:40 pm »
Most other projects never do data from a page; the only ones I can think of that would are OW, Ancient Lives and Notes from Nature.  The photos in so many others, don't ever seem to be able to be edited, so the feeding system must be different.

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2014, 10:35:09 pm »
The feeding system might be independent of the assignment process. I noticed, for example, that there was a short delay when I saved a page before "waiting for old weather" appeared on the lower left of my screen. Perhaps that delay was in the front-end process.

However, if it is a question of timing everyone should get a slow response sometimes and I haven't so far (except once about a week ago), even when I do the Pioneer. Very strange.  ???

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 03:22:41 am »
Randi,

Thanks for the hint about the improperly displayed data entry boxes in Firefox (I'm Firefox 26.0, Windows 8.1) occurring when you switch tabs. I thought I could defeat it by having only one tab open and staying always in just that one tab. Rather than have another Firefox tab to check Stuart's crew lists, send messages etc., I did this with Explorer. This worked for many pages, the data entry boxes always displaying properly, even though I switched back and forth between Firefox and Wordpad, Irfanview (for enlarged views of the pages), Explorer and Excel (for the crew lists) continually. However, this strategy just failed, I think because I was to quick to start a data entry box before the page had completely displayed. So, I'm going to just stay in Firefox (lost too many pages using Explorer), keep multiple tabs open and work a little bit more slowly...

Michael

david_heaton88

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 08:48:55 am »
I think this might be the right thread for this. I have also been experiencing some slowness, thought it was my internet, but reading this, maybe not.

Bigger problem is, because nothing seemed to happen, I clicked the "I've finished with this page" button again, and did not get the notes page, went straight to another weather page. When I went to my profile, it appears I have submitted the same page twice, at the same time. How do I fix this and get the notes page so I can log the date?

Hope someone understands what I am on about, cos I'm not entirely sure I do...

Thanks!

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 09:27:34 am »
Hover over the blue button with your name.
Select My Pages.
Select View logs for the ship in question.
Click on the page in question and you can start editing it.

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 10:18:48 am »
It's possible that you will not get the remarks page, David.
If three people have already transcribed that page, you will be given the next available page.
The other transcribers will, we trust, have entered the date so you don't need to worry about it.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 10:31:39 am »
Every page gets transcribed 3 times - if you accidentally hit "I'm finished"on an unfinished page, Maikel's instructions will let you fix it.  The latest 10 pages you did are also on the bottom of your "My Old Weather" page, also on the drop-down under your name. 

If you are sharing "3rd transcriber" role with other members, you will be playing leapfrog with them and you will find yourself skipping occasional pages.  Then Randi's reply applies, that date has already been entered by others.  Nobody works alone on this project.  :)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 03:59:52 pm »
I just did a weather page on Concord and it saved normally.

Perhaps because I haven't done very many pages on Concord?  :-\ :-\ :-\

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2014, 04:39:18 pm »
That may be the case for the Concord, but it's not general. My response time for the Jamestown 1879 is normal. It took about 10-12 seconds for the Unalga, though. I am a bit further along in the latter but not much.

The log books are monthly in the Unalga but much longer in the Jamestown 1879. Perhaps there is some quirk in the algorithm that requires more time to address a page if it is in a higher-number log book. My response for the Unalga was normal before Christmas, though.

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2014, 05:25:52 pm »
I checked the Pioneer: Hanibal is on book 2042 and HelenJ is on book 206.

It would be interesting to compare the other ships where members have noted slow response times to see how many log books they have done compares to those doing the same ship who have normal response.

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2014, 06:58:53 pm »
It would be interesting to compare the other ships where members have noted slow response times to see how many log books they have done compares to those doing the same ship who have normal response.

I think you're right, Craig!
I did a bit on all three active ships I've ever worked on : Pioneer (over 43.000 WR), Bear (over 4.300 WR) and Unalga (523 WR)
Here's how fast it was: 10 - 12 seconds for Pioneer, 5-6 for Bear, and 'only' 2-3 for Unalga.
So, it appears the response time gets slower the more you work on a ship. Now can somebody please fix it already?

I checked the Pioneer: Hanibal is on book 2042 and HelenJ is on book 206.

Actually, it's book 43 (soon 44) for me and 6 for Helen. The 20 is just part of some weird code that takes the place of a symbol.