Author Topic: Where did you learn about Old Weather?  (Read 13775 times)

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you learn about Old Weather?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 07:37:54 pm »
I originally saw an article on the BBC website in October 2010, and signed up as a result.  However, I also heard about it a few days later on PM on BBC Radio 4 - obviously listening at the same time as Helen!

p3nguin53

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 03:39:17 am »
I heard about Zooniverse last year during a presentation at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago.  Checked out their website a few months later and Old Weather caught my eye.

Karen

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 04:32:20 am »
I heard about Zooniverse last year during a presentation at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago.  Checked out their website a few months later and Old Weather caught my eye.

Karen

Are you also in Chicagoland?  That would make 2 of us.  :)

p3nguin53

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 04:48:26 am »
Yes - I'm out in the western suburbs.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 05:13:07 am »
I'm just north of the city.  Hi, neighbor.  :)

p3nguin53

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 05:52:15 am »
Hi Janet,

There's only 2 of us from around Chicago?  You'd think Adler would have recruited lots of people for Zooniverse.  Maybe they're all working on the space projects instead of OW.   :(

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 05:54:23 am »
They are based at Adler, that alone kind of skews which people look at them. :'(

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 11:08:24 am »
An October 2010 article in the Washington Post.  Been hooked ever since  :P

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 06:57:29 pm »
I am guessing that the reason why we are being asked this question now is because the PTB are trying to work out where best to target publicity for a forthcoming project.  Since a couple of us have said we found out from the BBC website, it might be worth mentioning that the site has been completely redesigned since October 2010 - as it is now, it is very unlikely that I would have come across the report about OW.

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 07:11:41 pm »
If you are going for the Beeb, try the news website rather than the broadcast one. Trying that site is a nightmare these days - getting hold of a schedule to plan your evening listening is a tour de force and searching for background material is not at all easy.  Perhaps my mind no longer synchronizes with that of young, trendy web designers.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 09:25:25 pm »
I'd heard of Citizen Science projects over some years and felt that this would be an interesting past time for a short spell. I noticed an 'event' advert about OW on the front page of the webpage for work (Oxford University) and realized that Chris Lintott and the Zooniversers lived literally round the corner from me. So I had a bash at identifying distant sky things...didn't really grab me, so I had a poke around OW and terrified myself with the level of responsibility towards saving the planet (I found it very difficult to get going), but fell head over heels in love with the forum where enthusiastic help, and a laugh could be had (which saved the day and so here I am still).

With the nights being long (up this end of the planet) and given the effort put into 'Star gazing live' on the beeb, it would be an ideal time to do a programme on Citizen Science.  Given the number pf programmes likely about the first world war surely we could get a mention in those? Has anyone got a contact in that line? Should we not be building one up? If we got offered a section of a programme what would we present? Who would do it? If you can't blow your own trumpet who will?

Walrus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 10:04:56 am »
Just arrived, Hi all!  when it comes to learning about OW, I'm still trying to figure out what it is!   I was browsing for something completely different but all this talk about ships logs and the like caught my interest.......guess I'll be lurking awhile till I find out what is going on!   ???

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 10:45:03 am »
Welcome to Old Weather, Walrus. Pleased to meet you.
If you have any questions, just ask.  :)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 11:48:32 am »
Welcome, Walrus.  There are 2 topics in  designed specifically for newbies.  :)

In Got a question? Old hands are here to help, no questions are considered stupid, just easy to answer.  Ask whatever you wish to get started.  All of our old timers are friendly.

And when you have finished transcribing a page, you may ask a moderator to look at your actual transcriptions and give advice on what you are doing.  See the start of Ask for expert advice for instructions.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile