Author Topic: Captain's Clerk  (Read 1779 times)

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
Captain's Clerk
« on: November 22, 2014, 08:40:59 pm »
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Albatross/vol039of055/vol039of055_026_1.jpg

A Mr. L M Tongue joined the Albatross for duty as "Captain's Clerk" - I'm a bit lost as to whether he was a crewmember (i.e. US Navy) or not. I have only seen "Mr" used to refer to non-ranked crewmembers, but it also seems strange to hire a civilian to work in Naval matters on the ship (as opposed to the scientific team on the Albatross, who are all non-naval).

I'm also a bit confused about why an extra Clerk was needed - Wikipedia implies that clerical work is usually done by Yeomen. Again, if he was employed by the scientists, it would make more sense!

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:42:46 pm by Danny252 »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Captain's Clerk
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 09:11:22 pm »
The scientists aboard are going to be keeping field study logs and having salaries and expenses - for all we know, the naval personnel didn't mess with any of that because the scientists didn't trust sailors to know science procedures anymore than the navy trusted the scientists to know how to sail the ship.  :)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:14:39 pm »
From the list of Enlisted Ratings in U.S. Navy, we see that:

Captain's Clerk - Established 1798; disestablished 1835.

Not that this helps.

However, I think from something I read a couple of days ago (here - see the picture down the page) that he would have a rank as chief warrant officer. In the army, at least, a warrant officer is referred to as Mr. So a Corporal Smith would be addressed as "Corporal Smith", Warrant Officer Smith as "Mr. Smith" and Colonel Smith as "Sir." You would not dare use "Sir" for a Warrant Officer!

Is that the same in the Navy? I don't know, but it makes sense.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 10:24:29 pm »
Gordon's list of US Navy ranks and ratings for WW1 lists Commissioned Warrant Officers as ""with but after" Ensigns" and then "Appointed Officers: Midshipman 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Class" and then "Warrant Officers", so I'm guessing your right about how they get addressed.  At that later date, there were only 2 clerks listed: Chief Pay Clerk (Commissioned Warrant Officer) and Pay Clerk (Warrant Officer).  Mates had been discontinued in the 1890s, but any who already earned that rank would still hold it in 1904.  They are at the very bottom of the list.

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyUS-Ranks.htm

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 11:03:22 pm »
For what it is worth,
Jamestown 1844 had a Commodore's Clerk
and Thetis had a Ship's Writer

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 11:26:44 pm »
I'm very sure of that - but apparently they aren't listed where I can find them. :'(

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 11:57:53 pm »
Here's more on being a Mr.

From Pioneer on 14 Feb 1933 8 AM to Meridian, reading the first entry we see Mr. Bernstein is in charge of the launch.

Looking at the Pioneer's list of officers We see that Percy L. Berstein is a Jnr H&G Eng. It seems that some Navy personnel are indeed called Mr.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 07:51:12 am »
Pioneer is a Coast and Geodetic Survey ship ;)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 03:25:56 pm »
Pioneer is a Coast and Geodetic Survey ship ;)
Right! I should have remembered. The lack of drunks and malingerers should have been a clue, nevermind the heading at the top of the log pages!   ;)