Author Topic: The Chart House...  (Read 2305 times)

zoot horn rollo

• View Profile
The Chart House...
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:11:01 am »
Does anybody have any links to online naval charts of specific areas?

Request number 1

I'm looking for the North African area of the Med. Yes, I've looked at Google maps but it is not detailed enough and I'm interested in charts which have things like lighthouses on them which might appear in ships logs.

zhr

navalhistory

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
Re: The Chart House...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 12:27:02 pm »
Ref: Does anybody have any links to online naval charts of specific areas? I'm looking for the North African area of the Med. Yes, I've looked at Google maps but it is not detailed enough and I'm interested in charts which have things like lighthouses on them which might appear in ships logs.

Dear zhr,

This is a tough one. Nearly all internet maps are land and 21st century-based. Finding maritime locations of a 100 years ago is hard enough. Finding maps very difficult. I run the www.naval-history.net side of things and over the years I have used umpteen atlases and increasingly the internet to locate places.

Bear in mind that many locations have changed their names over the last century, spellings have change, and that lighthouses, light ships, buoys etc. have been moved if not removed.

Until someone produces a giant World War 1 Maritime place and name book, you will have to work on each location, one at a time. I recommend an old atlas as a starting point, and then the internet.

Hope this helps.

Gordon

badskittler

• View Profile
Re: The Chart House...
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 01:57:24 pm »
You are not likely to find much on-line. Nothing older than about 30 years has been routinely scanned. If you are keen and willing to part with cash try  http://www.ukho.gov.uk/AboutUs/Pages/Corporate.aspx and select "The Archive" tab.