Author Topic: Ahoy! A few questions in a bottle  (Read 2483 times)

harbink

• View Profile
Ahoy! A few questions in a bottle
« on: March 07, 2015, 04:27:14 am »
Hello, I started earlier this afternoon. I decided to take this up because I wanted something need to volunteer for, in the mean time, while at home. I finished my first page, and it was pretty fun once I got the hang of it. :)

While finishing up, I found I had a few questions I couldn't seem to find on the forum (so beg pardon if I skimmed over something obvious!) I perused the FAQ forum posts and attempted to use the search, but still couldn't find what I needed.

I thought it might be easier to just shoot a few questions to you here, then wait to post each one individually in the questions portion.

1. When I completed my first page, I selected "I've finished with this page."

On my "oldWeather" page, it says

but when I visit the log I transcribed, it says

In reality, I believe I have finished the log, with 24 weather reports. Am I correct in thinking this: should it be telling me I did 24?

2. When I was logging the weather information, the clock hours on the right were in order. But once I finished, they have become all jumbled.
For instance:

Is this normal or did I do something wrong? I think I realized it after I had started working with the PM hours.

2.a. Is there a way for the people viewing our transcriptions to know if the hours are morning or night? I had Mid and Noon but thought that adding 12 before that would put it back in order, but it did not.

Thank you for your assistance! Happy sailing!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Ahoy! A few questions in a bottle
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 04:53:47 am »
Hi, harbink,
Welcome to the forum.  I'm glad you are asking questions, we are friendly and glad to answer them.

It's been so long since I've been new and I'm so very much not interested in "keeping score", I will let one of the many who are answer most of that first question.  (We tend to split between those wanting to do high numbers of Weather Readings and those who like taking the time to do the historical comments, with a few in the middle.)  I can tell you that 100% of the counts at the top and all the readings in the sidebar are searched for and put there by commands intended to keep the transcribers informed - which is really needed when you want to check if you missed a line of WRs.  And that software has always been a little wonky.  The underlying software that saves the readings for the climatologists is rock solid and all your WRs and other comments have been indeed saved.

But I'm wondering - did you make a new box for each line?  or keep changing the numbers in the box as you moved it down the page?  That is a common mistake, and making the box over and over again is very easy - just click "OK" and then click the center of the next line down - the box of the same size appears automatically.

See the first paragraph for your second question - the sidebar is even wonkier than the heading.

About identifying am/pm - for 98% of our logs, the am is in the top half and the pm is in the bottom half.  The computer knows where your box is located on the page and will assign am/pm in the default position.  You do not need to type it.  Some ships go to a "sea" day where they start each page at noon.  For those you do have to type in pm or am, but the date on top will be correctly assigned, you won't need two dates.

Did you find Guides for US logs: drawing entry boxes, transcribing and editing and other such posts in this board?  They can be helpful.

I hope you enjoy this project and stay with us awhile.  :)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 07:36:39 am »
Welcome on board, harbink!
You may also want to have a look at the Reference and Discussion topics for your ship. You can find the links in * * * Index - Use this to find your Ship * * * and also on your ship's page: Forum links Sample transcriptions Ask questions

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 09:00:30 am »
Did you perhaps hit the "I've finished with this page" button before you had entered all 24 weather reports, and later edited the page to add the rest?

Only weather reports entered before hitting the button the first time will be added to your total.
More importantly, all entered weather reports will be added to the database. :)

harbink

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 05:06:02 pm »
Thank you to all for your help! You certainly did narrow in on my issues.

I read through some of the intro posts for assistance, but felt I needed to work on a page to understand where my troubles would arise. I'm sometimes a "I get what you're saying, but it'd sure be helpful to try it out" person. And it was kind of overwhelming (but definitely super helpful! I started transcribing on the Smithsonian site and it wasn't laid out this clearly!)

You were definitely right, Maikel, I hit "I've finished with this page" before I had actually started. I was confused on how I would get to the next page, as not all the fields could be filled in on the page I was currently on. And you are still right, as well as Janet, with the fact that it's more important the correct data is added to the database, regardless of if it "keeps score".  8) I was anxious at the thought of it not counting for me and not being saved in the sea of reports.

And thanks, Randi!

I'm going to rego through my page, to tidy it up and make sure I understand the process!

Kookaburra

• Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 05:15:49 pm »
Hi harbink!
Don't pass up the opportunity to have one of the mods look at a completed log page or two in this thread:

http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=3944.0

I got some really good suggestions and clarified some of the things I just flat out misunderstood!

And Janet Jaguar is right - don't be afraid to ask questions,  There is a LOT of good advice in the forums but it is not always easy to find it.  There is always someone around to point you in the right direction if you post a question.

harbink

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 05:28:12 pm »
That sounds like a brilliant idea! Thanks, Kookaburra, for pointing me in that direction.

While I'm here and working on it in the other window, I am curious: do the boxes have to line up perfectly with the row? Like, are they checked or processed in the end by where they sit? I've found that my boxes don't always show me the complete line I've zoomed in on (referring to the bottom or the top being cut off.) And I sometimes have to move them, which displaces them on the log.

I'm working on the "Guide to PLACING WEATHER ENTRY BOXES FOR EASY EDITING" and practicing where to put my boxes but it's kind of tricky.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 05:52:09 pm »
As long as the boxes are in the right general position, it isn't a problem.
If it is not showing you the complete line, you may want to redraw the box and make it longer :-\
It gets much easier with practice!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 05:55:31 pm by Randi »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 05:59:21 pm »
When you finally have a box custom-sized and placed where you want it, find what part of the first seen line on the page is at the exact middle of the box headings, and to get the next box placed that way, click for it at the same left-right point in the new paragraph or line (or a bit left of right of it, if you are staggering your boxes.)  Fussy to learn, quite easy to do once you've learned it.