Author Topic: Ahoy! Newbie via NOAA!  (Read 2255 times)

prattm

• View Profile
Ahoy! Newbie via NOAA!
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:09:26 pm »
Hi all!

Kevin Wood of NOAA recommended that I come and check in here. I'm doing my senior thesis on the USRCS and USPHS and their interactions with natives and the environment. I've been an intern with the US Coast Guard Museum for 2 years, and last summer I was the seasonal curator of a small Coast Guard museum in New England.

I'm looking at the UNALGA right now but I'm looking to expand my knowledge more, especially with the PHS and the environmental impact the USRCS had.

Thanks all!

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ahoy! Newbie via NOAA!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:24:37 pm »
Welcome on board!

You might take a look at American: Health, Hygiene, Medicine, and Surgery, but I fear it will not be too helpful.

For Unalga, see Unalga I -- Discussion: Questions and Comments
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:37:39 pm by Randi »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:13:00 pm »
Hello prattm,
Good luck with your studies!
I'm on the Patterson and I don't recall much health/native stuff there.  :-\  Main problem is a short term lack of nutrition - i.e. crew ending up in the brig on bread and water for a couple of days after winding up the officers. I bet a lot of other OW-ers will know useful stuff though.   :)
Best wishes,
Joan
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:40:27 pm by AvastMH »

jil

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 08:39:49 pm »
Hello!
Have a look at USRCS Bear. Some of the logs are on-line or see the discussion topic.

The main thing I can remember is that they were involved in importing reindeer from Siberia in an effort to give the Alaskan natives a livelihood to replace the loss of hunting and fishing. I think the surgeon was often treating natives and I also have a vague recolection of them trying to control the illegal trade in alcohol (or that might have been another ship).

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 09:39:50 pm »
If it was Mike Healey on the Bear he was a scourge against the demon drink, jil. I suspect partly because he was quite a victim of it himself. Was the reindeer thing his idea? :-\

jil

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 10:23:50 pm »
I think it was a joint effort between him and Dr. Sheldon Jackson (who pops up in the Bear logs).

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 10:40:57 pm »
For a long time, Healey on Bear arranged to engage a civilian doctor on his crew to service the natives until he could convince the Treasury Department to cave in and send their own physician. 

I know the reindeer idea was hatched by missionaries who took up a collection to buy them when they found villages starving to death because the seals that fed them had been largely exterminated by foreigners.  They brought the Revenue Service Cutters (and other licensed hired ships) in as taxi service for the live reindeer. 

I do know we just were sent a windfall of photos from a stoker on Unalga in 1919 when they were coping with the great Flu epidemic.  It includes the orphans they took care of until they could be brought to a more permanent orphan home.  Matteo (post author propriome) knows where the HD originals are stored.

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 04:55:16 pm »
Welcome to OW and the Forum prattm - your thesis sounds really interesting.  I hope you'll find some useful information here.  We're a friendly lot, and love seeing the information we're recovering being used.

Kevin

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 03:31:01 am »
There is a diary from the Bear'ssurgeon in the U. of Washington special collections that contains all the stuff that wouldn't get written in the log. Apparently a 'do as I say not as I do' situation leading up to the court martial.