Author Topic: Lighthouse Logs  (Read 1181 times)

jliller

• View Profile
Lighthouse Logs
« on: April 20, 2015, 02:38:16 am »
Greetings.  I learned of this project at the maritime heritage conference in Norfolk last fall.

I have access to some 20th century lighthouse logs that include daily weather information.  I was wondering if this information would be useful for this project (I know you are focused on ships) and, if so, in what year does that information stop being useful due to adequate modern weather data?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Lighthouse Logs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 03:36:57 am »
Welcome, jliller.  All weather data that has not yet been digitized has use.  Our particular bottleneck is in getting the logs scanned and online - and we admit the traveling and comments that teach us history also add interest.  But Philip and Kevin, our scientists in Britain and the US, are always interested in sources.  I will definitely tell them of your offer.

As to timing, if the logs are handwritten in any decade where computerized data was not possible, it is of a time that is useful.  Eventually our ships will cover 1840s to 1940s, but the 1950s is the start of computerization.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Lighthouse Logs
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 06:56:26 pm »
Hi, jliller,
Philip replied:
Hi Janet.

We'd definitely like to know what there is. Please can you ask them to email me (see the PM I sent, I don't want email out on the public boards) so we can chase up all the necessary details.

Thanks, Philip

I thought he would jump and added chances at data.  ;)