Author Topic: Manifestly deserting with the crockery  (Read 2194 times)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Manifestly deserting with the crockery
« on: May 15, 2015, 08:18:38 pm »
Sea Wilson & Eastwood this day declared deserters having about 10 days without leave and having left ship with clo~ery & effects manifestly intending to desert.

http://zooniverse-static.s3.amazonaws.com/www.penguinwatch.org/subjects/standard/5550b8ce7d50fe04e102b8d9.JPG

Please  - can anyone clarify what they were deserting with - it looks a bit like 'crockery and effects'. Hell bent on being an Alaskan Escoffier?

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Manifestly deserting with the crockery
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 08:30:19 pm »
Manifestly deserting disguised as penguins by the look of it!  I think this might not be the right link, but it's always nice to see some penguins.

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 08:56:51 pm »
Without looking at the actual page (see comment above!) I wonder whether it's 'clothing'?  There's been a lot of deserting from on board the good ship Patterson lately, as well as much drunkenness, overstaying leave, refusing orders, and general bad behaviour.  Also coming up with new ways of confusing the hapless transcriber about which figures go in which column.   :( ::)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 09:23:12 pm »
It's obvious that all that good claret from the Hunter Valley that I picked up for Joan when I passed through Sydney (on the Shipopoly board) has gone to her head. Next time I will limit my generosity to a bottle, not an entire keg.   ;)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 09:31:16 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D that's so funny!

I'm amazed that this has not happened before. I spend most evenings jotting between OW and PW. I had to sort the picture out for a peng-zooite who wanted to know about the strange vessel in the water. It was (and often is) a flying bird  ::) ::) ::)

Here's the real page:
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USCS%20Patterson/Book%2024/IMG_7446_0.jpg

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 09:34:27 pm »
It's obvious that all that good claret from the Hunter Valley that I picked up for Joan when I passed through Sydney (on the Shipopoly board) has gone to her head. Next time I will limit my generosity to a bottle, not an entire keg.   ;)

oops - hic!!!  ;) ;) ;D

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 09:35:35 pm »
Without looking at the actual page (see comment above!) I wonder whether it's 'clothing'?  There's been a lot of deserting from on board the good ship Patterson lately, as well as much drunkenness, overstaying leave, refusing orders, and general bad behaviour.  Also coming up with new ways of confusing the hapless transcriber about which figures go in which column.   :( ::)

thanks Helen - for your sober and incisive response  ;D

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 02:21:50 pm »
Glad to have helped - though I find it a tad worrying that I'm now able to decipher Patterson's log without even seeing the page - perhaps I've been on board too long ....? ::)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 02:49:07 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 09:48:46 pm »
The next step is typing the weather data without looking at the page  ;D

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 10:17:39 pm »
Shouldn't be that hard, Sometimes I think the Concord crew wrote down the numbers without bothering to read the instruments.  :)