Author Topic: Zooniverse Beta Testing, New Projects, and Challenges  (Read 18703 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Zooniverse Beta Testing, New Projects, and Challenges
« on: August 06, 2015, 07:53:05 pm »
Dear beta testers, 

AnnoTate

The Zooniverse is branching out to an exciting new area: art history and the study of artists? lives and letters. We have teamed up with Tate in the UK to bring you AnnoTate, a project that will let you transcribe twentieth-century artists? letters, diaries and sketchbooks. There?s some beautiful stuff in the Tate archives, as well as some fascinating personal papers.
This beta test is designed to test two things:
1) the interface and your user experience
2) a new algorithm that reconciles multiple independent transcriptions.
The interface asks you only to transcribe a line at a time, but you can transcribe whole pages using the line by line method. This might feel tedious, but the algorithm needs small chunks of text to compare at a time, and can?t do whole pages. We hope that letting people do as little as a line at a time means you can squeeze AnnoTate contributions in around your busy lives. Though I bet you won?t want to do just one!
Please try AnnoTate and fill in the survey form here.

Fossil Finder
We also require some more feedback on the Fossil Finder project. Please make suggestions on the feedback form, available here or via the "feedback" tab at the top of the project's landing page.

Thanks for vetting these projects for us before we release them to the crowd!
Victoria and the Zooniverse Team
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:41:35 pm by Randi »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Zooniverse Beta Testing and New Projects
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 07:59:38 pm »
How much do you want to bet they are use AnnoTate to plan for our comment pages!!

There is a Zooniverse blog out that also addresses the comment side of our transcribing, which we all agree is the most difficult to wade through.   CROWDSOURCING AND BASIC DATA VISUALIZATION IN THE HUMANITIES

Very interesting indeed.

DZM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 10:07:00 pm »
We had some issues with the survey form and the Fossil Finder link early on, but both should be fixed now!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 10:20:57 pm »
Thanks, Darren - I'll try them again.

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 10:32:51 pm »
AnnoTate was pretty well done.
It's a pity that method might not work for weather pages due to the huge number of formats - it could have dealt with crooked pages, and allowed people to only transcribe part of a page at once.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 11:13:18 pm »
Everything along that line that they can make work will be a step up for will work for us that way.  :)

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 11:26:55 pm »
Perhaps they could set it up so you have multiple options for the order of weather boxes, based on which format you get.
So there would be one for the "normal" format, which is this: http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Thetis/vol010of024/vol010_188_0.jpg
And one for this format: http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USCS%20Patterson/Book%2079/IMG_2400_0.jpg
And maybe another for this one: http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USCS%20Patterson/Book%2044/IMG_9253_0.jpg

Also, it just occured to me that the AnnoTate methid could work very well for extreme cases like the Jamestown 1844 and the Yukon.
So yeah, I'm kinda supporting this way of doing things now.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 12:17:49 am »
 :)

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 02:45:10 am »

As you say,  AnnoTate would be good for the remarks pages but since there is structure in the weather pages the software interface should take advantage of it. We know what the rows and columns mean already so you don't need a sophisticated algorithm to piece page fragments together. Perry was on the right track with what he did. The main problem was that he didn't get to the point where a template could be used for multiple pages. Transcribers shouldn't have to annotate every page.

But there is certainly an advantage in using the same software for multiple projects if  they have similar properties. The disadvantage is that if you want special options for OW that are not appropriate for other projects then things can get complicated. I think this may be the case for how log pages are served to us now. Three people have to transcribe both the weather and remarks pages whereas it would be nice to allow some people just to do weather and others just to do remarks. This way, three fast people could finish off the weather pages of Unalga, for example, without interfering with Matteo's transcription of the remarks pages. This is impossible now and I think it may be due to the fact that the front end page server is used for multiple projects. (At least, this is what I gathered from reading Arfon's articles he posted before he left last year).

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 03:10:11 am »
The new Zooniverse Home page is a brand new platform - which is why there have been bugs to clean up.  All of Zooniverse would tax any new platform.  But it really is meant to be more flexible and adaptable than the old one, so this is good.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 06:45:20 pm »
Hi there,

We need your help to test a potential new nature project!

The researchers behind Jungle Rhythms aim to record hand-drawn observations of the life cycle events of over 500 different tropical tree species exceeding 2000 observed individuals between 1937 - 1958 in the tropical rainforests of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

This is project built by a non-Zooniverse team using the project builder, so it's really important we have your help to test it and give feedback before it is launched to the wider community. Please help beta test Jungle Rhythms at junglerhythms.org and make suggestions on the feedback form, available at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17B9XCINpQ7OzzcbUOV3jGkeshyldlHs3AGMHtVBqQGw/viewform and via the "beta feedback" tab at the top of the page on the site itself.

Thanks again for helping us make sure our projects are up to our usual standards!

Grant and the Zooniverse Team

PS: We have designed a simple new project to test which of our new marking tools (points, lines, ellipses etc) work best. We would be very grateful if you could help us out by submitting some classifications at https://www.zooniverse.org/#/projects/oxfordgreg/panoptes-shapes

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 06:08:53 pm »
Hey beta testers,

We need your help once again! This time, we?ve got a double dose of transcription projects for you to try out. These are the first projects on our new ?Scribe? platform for transcribing documents, so your feedback will be exceptionally useful in helping us figure out if the interface is working as intended.

The two beta projects available for testing are:

Measuring the ANZACs ? Explore and digitize the personnel files of New Zealand soldiers who served in World War I and the South African War, and help an international team of historians learn about the society and lifestyles of New Zealanders in the early 20th century.

Old Weather: Whaling ? Scan, mark, and transcribe the original logbooks of whaling ships that sailed through icy Arctic waters. Climate scientists are interested in the rare documentations of sea-ice levels available in these logs, while naval historians hope to learn more about whaling history.

Once you?ve had a chance to test either or both of these projects, please let us know how your experience went. Feedback forms are linked from each site, but you can also find them here: Measuring the ANZACs feedback, and Old Weather: Whaling feedback.

As always, your thoughts will help inform the final form that these projects take when they are launched to the wider Zooniverse community. We really appreciate the time and effort that you put towards helping us make these projects as user-friendly as possible. Thank you for all that you do!

Yours in people-powered research,

Darren and the Zooniverse team

DZM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 07:59:05 pm »
I've had a hand in Old Weather: Whaling, so I'm curious how it works out for our dedicated Old Weather folks! :-)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 08:47:11 pm »
Darren, I gave them my feedback on the form.

The only problem with the marking was based on previous discussions here - I was going in with too much background.  I was confused as to whether I had to rebox all the marked blue boxes already on the page or not.  The whole thing required careful reading and choices, but was easy to acomplish.

Transcribing was terrible.  I could not choose my ship.  The first page they gave me had only had its date marked, and I could not switch to marking so as to get access to all the juicy information written there.  Or if there had been marks there, they erased them from by view so I couldn't access any of that.  All follow-up boxes to transcribe were wildly random, no chance to get to know even what ship you were on let alone what would happen to it. 

And since one of the ships I'd marked was in harbor with the Jeannette, I was truly gnashing my teeth in frustration. 

Would it be possible for transcribers to choose whether to go random or consecutive?  If they have to have random.

DZM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 09:52:04 pm »
Thanks, Janet. I hope that you put all that information in the form... ! That's what the developers will be sure to see.