Author Topic: Zooniverse Beta Testing, New Projects, and Challenges  (Read 17285 times)

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
Re: Zooniverse Beta Testing and New Projects
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 09:55:56 pm »
OW:W feedback sent.  :)

DZM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 10:09:00 pm »
Definitely aware of some of the bugs. Thanks to everyone who has reported so far!

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 09:52:08 pm »
I tried OW:W. It didn't go so well - everybody else had put so many boxes down on the Marking, I just gave up and left without adding any of my own.

Transcribing: Basically what Janet said. Very frustrating due to the total lack of structure and order. I made sure to ask them to change it so it will be like what we have now - pick a ship, and follow the logs in perfect order (well, most of the time) until it's done.

I also suggested that marking be done only by experienced people (maybe make a whitelist), and transcribing should only be unlocked for a particular ship/voyage  when marking is 100% done for that ship/voyage.
And I requested that we be allowed to skip historical events, as we are now. If we are forced to transcribe those, it is extremely unlikely that I will take part.

But I like the idea - the focus on sea ice does sound very useful. Many of the ships we have now spend lots of time in South America, the Pacific Islands, China and Japan and other places where no sea ice can ever be found.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 10:46:07 pm »
oh my great giddy aunt - did anyone try making a discussion? Sorry to yell, but WHAT A MESS  >:(  It makes no sense whatsoever. Surely, when we have such an excellent forum here, we don't expect people starting on OW:W to start all over again with so much info?? :o

1) Twice I ended up with a box covering the wind direction and force showing up twice for the same section of text. Does that mean that I should put wind direction in it, then wait for the next box to pop up and put the wind speed in?

2) Anyone spotted the tutorial please?

3) I'm transcribing on pages where there are details but they are not highlighted - am I clarifying odd stuff that others can't make out (difficult to believe since this is not writing that it so odd)?  I can't get any reference for the page like a URL - I can just about see the date I guess.

4) OK - next problem. A bit of text was not clear, but was not highlighted correctly. So I got to see 'Thetis Is.', but it was the next word that was a problem (as I happened to see in a brief pop-up window that I wasn't expecting to see!). I couldn't shift the highlight box to that problematic word and so couldn't make it out.

5) Next problem...we're picking up places (and ships). anyone using this project will DEFINITELY need access to the Geog help lists, and may well be able to add to them. But there's NO SIGN of the OW Forum. When you think of the expansion of OWPaedia to cover all the info that came in from the move back to the age of sail, and the number of ship's names we have in the forum, our library of information should be invaluable to OW:W (and vice versa).  That's NOT a reason to put OW Forum into Talk mind you!!! Talk wouldn't stand a chance of managing our reference library.  Kind of wish that we had Kathy's ship/place database available more easily though ;)

6) because the discussion system is currently weird/inexplicable I couldn't ask about strange things like a zero underlined over the top of the lat and long obs. I couldn't ask about an odd description next to 'Long' that wasn't 'obs' and didn't look like 'dead reckoning' either.

( It was fun for a bit of a change...easy enough work - but finding out that one day's sailing included slaughtering 60 walrus - oh well  ::) ::) ::) )

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:26:39 pm by AvastMH »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 08:31:44 am »
I LOVE being able to transcribe an entry right after marking it!!!!!
I will probably never do it any other way.

(Admittedly, that does not work very well at the moment. I am always sent back to the "date" step.)

Umm... Darren,
Hopefully this is a feature based on feedback from the earlier beta testing and not some sort of fluke? :-[
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:13:40 pm by Randi »

DZM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 07:05:41 pm »
Umm... Darren,
Hopefully this is a feature based on feedback from the earlier beta testing and not some sort of fluke? :-[

As far as I can tell, this was added because there was a lot of feedback requesting it. :-)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 07:11:53 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thank you!

DZM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 08:39:33 pm »
So about the Discourse forum at http://scribe-forum.nypl-labs.biz/ --

I just checked with the developers, because a few of you were concerned, and...  It's a dummy forum, a placeholder.  ::) OW:W will use the new (currently-being-iterated-upon) Talk, I believe.

So don't worry about Discourse looking weird or any problems posting. I don't blame you for being concerned, though. I don't know why we linked to that from anywhere! Sorry!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:42:15 pm by DZM »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 01:37:51 am »
Phew! It's a relief to hear that Darren.  But I'm concerned that OW:W will be on New Talk - there is SO MUCH valuable info in OW that I hope that volunteers on OW:W will be easily directed to our exceptional resources  8) 8) :)

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2015, 10:44:52 am »
Yes, it would be good to have a link or several to this forum, because we've got so much useful stuff here, built up over the years by dedicated volunteers and mods.

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2015, 11:16:47 pm »
Here is a thought. (I haven't tried the interface yet, so this is a concept idea.) Why not split OW into two somewhat separate projects:
  • OW Science (weather observations); and,
  • OW history?

When the logs are similar to those of the Concord, for example, the science/observation transcribers would do their WRs and when the WRs had been completed three times, that portion of the work would be done and Philip could process the weather data. The historians would plug away on the Events pages, which can take a long time, but when those pages were done, once, the events pages would be passed to the editors. I know that the dates, for the Concord as an example, are on the Events Pages, but brighter minds than mine should be able to figure a way that the "Science" people could see them.

The benefit of this is that the History part of the project might interest many more people than the idea of having to input weather data, and the science type people could really speed through the WRs without having to be "bothered" with all that history stuff.

Just a thought...

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2015, 11:22:04 pm »
Possibility - this hasn't been confirmed by the powers that be, it is my speculation.

If we can really skip boxes in a way that says "not looked at, still waiting for first transcriber", then aren't we doing that without having to write fancy software? 

HatterJack can do all the history and leave the WR readings to Hanibal, nothing lost and no invalidating of skipped boxes.  :)

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2015, 11:52:40 pm »
Nice thought, Michael, and one I would definitely support - but what about logs where weather and events are on one page?
Then again, I guess those pages could be sent through both projects.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 07:27:58 pm »
Hey there,
We're playing around with Snapshot Serengeti before we get ready to launch the next season of data. If you have time today (it's a very short and quick test we are running), we would love it if you could submit a few classifications at www.snapshotserengeti.org
Thanks for your help,
Grant and the Zooniverse Team

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 01:27:05 am »
Hey there,
We're playing around with Snapshot Serengeti before we get ready to launch the next season of data. If you have time today (it's a very short and quick test we are running), we would love it if you could submit a few classifications at www.snapshotserengeti.org
Thanks for your help,
Grant and the Zooniverse Team

That was my idea of a welcome interruption this morning.  Bit of a treat.  :)