Author Topic: Zooniverse Beta Testing, New Projects, and Challenges  (Read 20731 times)

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
Re: Zooniverse Beta Testing, New Projects, and Challenges
« Reply #240 on: March 14, 2017, 05:22:03 pm »
The challenge has already been completed!

At the time of me posting this, the counter has passed 300.000 - so yes, it looks like it will pass half a million before the end of the week!

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2017, 07:50:21 pm »
We need your help to test two new conservation projects!

Hi there,

There are two new conservation projects that would like to be officially released on the Zooniverse. We need your help to make sure they are in the best shape possible before this happens. You don't have to try both if you don't want to. Any feedback at all on either would be greatly appreciated!

AmazonCam Tambopata

Researchers need your help to identify terrestrial and arboreal animals from camera traps along the Tambopata River in the Peruvian Amazon.

This project has been built by the researchers themselves, using the Zooniverse Project Builder, so we need your help making sure it's up to the standards of an official Zooniverse project. Try it out now at www.zooniverse.org/projects/rainforestexpeditions/amazoncam-tambopata and give us your feedback via this form https://goo.gl/forms/GyOBtJst4QA3xKGn2.

The Plastic Tide

Researchers need your help to spot plastics and marine litter in drone images of shorelines. They will use the data you give to train a machine algorithm to automatically detect the litter.

This project has been built by the researchers themselves, using the Zooniverse Project Builder, so we need your help making sure it's up to the standards of an official Zooniverse project. Try it out now at www.zooniverse.org/projects/theplastictide/the-plastic-tide and give us your feedback via this form https://goo.gl/forms/KZseeVUv8rkswwjZ2.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Grant & the Zooniverse Team

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 14, 2017, 11:08:01 pm »
Plastic Tide is already out of data after being tested by 133 people. I hope that this project goes ahead - cleaning up our beaches sounds like a good idea :)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 16, 2017, 12:25:13 am »
We still need your help to discover supernovae!

Hi there,

Great work last week, you helped us discover 19 new supernova candidates! This week the weather has been a bit kinder on Hawaii and I have uploaded about 4,250 new images to the project that we need your help to classify.

Get hunting right now for supernovae at www.zooniverse.org/projects/dwright04/supernova-hunters

Happy hunting!

Darryl and the Supernova Hunters Team

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 16, 2017, 01:10:57 am »
New Wildlife Project

Hi there,

I'm delighted to introduce you to the latest Zooniverse project - Steller Watch

Don't be fooled, this isn't an intergalactic effort -- we're talking about endangered Steller sea lions in Alaska (USA). I am the lead for this project and a biologist at NOAA Fisheries' Alaska Fisheries Science Center. We need your help to solve the mystery of why the endangered Steller sea lions continue to decline in the Aleutian Islands -- this part of the population has declined an astounding 94% in the last 30 years!

Complicating the issue, the Aleutian Islands are very remote so we can only access this area once, sometimes twice, per year. To help, we have installed remote cameras at known sea lion sites and automated them to capture images year-round. These images give us great insight throughout the year, when we can't be there. However, we bring back up to 400,000 images per year and we just can't keep up! We need your help to classify images so we know which images are the highest priority for biologists to review.

Please help us now at www.zooniverse.org/projects/sweenkl/steller-watch.

Cheers,
Katie

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:12:34 am by Randi »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 16, 2017, 04:56:45 pm »
Design Survey

Hi there,

it's really important to us at the Zooniverse that we design our projects in a way that suits the needs of our community. As we make improvements to the Zooniverse, we'd be hugely grateful if you could take a moment to answer a few questions about how you use the projects. 

If you have a couple of minutes to spare, please fill out this form https://goo.gl/forms/6U0ncqWkTlj9h4ua2 and help us make a better Zooniverse that is tailored to your requirements!

Cheers,

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 17, 2017, 01:45:50 am »
New Images on Chicago Wildlife Watch!

Hi there,

Help classify a new season of Chicago Wildlife Watch Photos!

After an exciting third season, Chicago Wildlife Watch is up and running again! We've made some changes to the functionality of the site which should make classification a bit easier, including a new FAQ, a zoom tool, and the ability to see a baseline empty photo of the camera location to compare and contrast photos!

Since 2010, we've been gathering data on how animals live in cities by using motion-triggered camera traps at over 120 locations from the heart of Chicago outwards about 30 miles. The new set of photos is from spring 2015, so we are well on our way to catching up on our 2-year backlog! As we continue to collect more data, we still need your help.

Log on now at www.chicagowildlifewatch.org to help us get closer to our goal!

Liza and the Chicago Wildlife Watch team

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 21, 2017, 06:49:59 pm »
New discoveries, and more to be made!

Hi there,

Last week you helped us discover 14 new supernova candidates. This week there are 7000 new subjects for you to classify. Thank you for all your help!

Get hunting right now for supernovae at www.zooniverse.org/projects/dwright04/supernova-hunters

Happy hunting!

Darryl and the Supernova Hunters Team

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 23, 2017, 03:35:31 am »
New Project for Review

Hi there,

We need your help to review a potential new project - Bash the Bug

Bash the Bug asks volunteers to help them identify which antibiotics are effective against the bacteria that causes Tuberculosis (TB).

Through looking at how effective different types of antibiotics are at treating many different samples of TB from around the world, the Bash the Bug team hopes to dramatically improve the diagnosis and treatment of this disease, and to reduce the rise in antibiotic resistance.

This project has been built by the researchers themselves, using the Zooniverse Project Builder, so we need your help making sure it's up to the standards of an official Zooniverse project. Try it out now at www.zooniverse.org/projects/mrniaboc/bash-the-bug and give us your feedback via this form https://goo.gl/forms/YyFdKIeNx7yUeXZb2 (which you can also reach by clicking the link on the project itself).

Cheers,

Helen & the Zooniverse Team

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 23, 2017, 03:42:17 am »
New Project - Astronomy Rewind

Hi there,

I?d like to introduce you to the latest Zooniverse project - Astronomy Rewind

Thousands of astronomy photos are mostly dead to science, and we aim to bring them fully back to life! Astronomy Rewind will take these "zombie images" ? which have been scanned from the pages of dusty old journals ? and make them searchable via digital sky atlases and catalogs. Anyone will then be able to find them online and compare them with electronic data from modern telescopes, making possible new studies of short- and long-term changes in the cosmos.

We'll start simply: Your first task will be to identify what figure type(s) each journal page contains: photos of celestial objects with (or without) labeled axes? maps of planetary surfaces with (or without) coordinate grids? In a subsequent step you'll view the figures in their celestial context within WorldWide Telescope, a powerful data-visualization tool and interactive sky map. For images that don't have labeled axes, we'll use the Astrometry.net service to automatically determine their scale, orientation, and position on the sky.

"There's no telling what discoveries await," says Astronomy Rewind co-founder Alyssa Goodman (Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics). "Turning historical scientific literature into searchable, retrievable data is like turning the key to a treasure chest."

Please help us now at www.astronomyrewind.org!

Cheers,

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 29, 2017, 09:52:53 am »
Chris Lintott popped up last night on BBC2 in Australia, on the first of three programmes starwatching in the southern hemisphere.  They launched a new Zooniverse challenge to try to find a 9th planet in our solar system - you can find it via the BBC website; the programme was on at 8pm yesterday (Tuesday).

Found the link: https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/skymap/planet-9 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 11:35:03 am by Helen J »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2017, 09:42:57 pm »
I think it might be turning up on UK BBC very soon..though I think we are all sworn to silence  ::)

My great fear is that someone will find Planet 9 and name it 'Planet-McPlanetface'  :-[ ::) :-[

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2017, 09:50:41 pm »
I think it might be turning up on UK BBC very soon..though I think we are all sworn to silence  ::)
Yes, I got an email announcement yesterday but was told not to share it. So I didn't ::)

My great fear is that someone will find Planet 9 and name it 'Planet-McPlanetface'  :-[ ::) :-[
::) ::)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2017, 09:53:08 pm »
Yes, I got an email announcement yesterday but was told not to share it. So I didn't ::)

Ummm- ooops  ::)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 29, 2017, 09:56:10 pm »
Don't worry - it was publicly announced by Chris Lintott late yesterday ;)