Author Topic: I'm confused...  (Read 2044 times)

HatterJack

• "Wind is to us what money is to life on shore."
    • View Profile
I'm confused...
« on: August 26, 2015, 01:19:07 pm »
So I stumbled across this comment page http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/Albatross/vol017of055/vol017of055_073_1.jpg

And I'm a bit stumped about the "International Signal B.S.K." As far as I know, there's no special meaning for this series, beyond what each individual flag means, but the combination of flags just seems a bit strange to me. So, is there more to it than "We're carrying dangerous cargo, moving astern, and want to communicate with you" or is it simply that? Also I'm curious as to whether or not there was a quarantine breach here, it seems odd to me that they would raise their Lima signal so quickly after delivering the health officer and mail.

I suppose it could be possible that it was a fairly simply health inspection, and Boyaca had a sick crewman (or two, or ten) along with the mail, and went into quarantine when the health officer was no longer aboard her, but would the health officer allow for the mail transfer if this was the case? I know we've come a long way since 1888 as far as general health knowledge goes, but stuff that may have been handled by sick people would have still been looked at as suspect, even at that time, wouldn't it?

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: I'm confused...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 01:51:57 pm »
You'll be wanting Page 9 of the International Code of Signals: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=A2ZbAAAAcAAJ&pg=PR1#v=onepage&q&f=false

BSK: I have a letter or parcel for you
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:54:49 pm by Danny252 »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 01:57:50 pm »
There have been a number of references to "International Signals". We do have a topic, International Signals, but it is more questions and bits of information than clear answers...

Good work Danny!
Would it be OK with the two of you if I move this to the  "International Signals" topic?
Or, would one of you want to create a new, organized, topic?

PS. I tried searching for BSK and it said "No results found in this book for BSK".
However, I had no trouble finding it when  scrolled down to page 9 ;)

PPS Janet has the book in "Helpful Links to Outside Information" - from a previous post of Danny's ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:06:38 pm by Randi »

HatterJack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:03:47 pm »
I'll take a look at what's in there, and if it's missing a bunch of common information, I might compile it all and put together a new topic that can be stickied for future reference.

Go figure it would be right there in the book. I may be a decent sailor, helmsmen, and navigator, but this is precisely the reason why I have to admit that I'm not a very good signalman. Thanks Danny! :D

It's still strange to me that they'd run up their quarantine flag right after the deliver though. Whatever the reason for that, though, I haven't been able to determine. The only Boyaca I can find is an oil tanker, but I haven't really dug too deep into it... yet... I may have a problem lol

Edit: added the last paragraph
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:07:24 pm by HatterJack »

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 05:27:03 pm »
You'll be wanting Page 9 of the International Code of Signals: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=A2ZbAAAAcAAJ&pg=PR1#v=onepage&q&f=false

BSK: I have a letter or parcel for you

Thanks for this, Danny. I tried to find the meaning of various signals, but I gave up quite some time ago. I've seen references in the Concord logs to International Signals, General Signals and Telegraphic Signals, and they seem to be either a combination of  letters, or digits. This book is a great help, and I've book-marked it.  :)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 06:47:11 pm »
We have several links to different signal differences in Helpful Links to Outside Information, in the CODES AND OTHER ABBREVIATIONS section, each kind tending to change over the decades.  I'm finding in most of them, using the table of contents can be useful when search fails.  If you find something better than what is already in there or that falls into the uncovered cracks, let me know.  I'm trying to cover it while staying efficiently terse, but those do not always seem compatible.

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 08:03:40 pm »
If looking up codes, do be aware that the code was significantly revised (completely rewritten, really!) in 1901 - you can find a post-1901 reference book in the Helpful Links. I was also quite confused when I looked in the wrong book and got "They had not had" as the meaning!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 08:20:13 pm »
If looking up codes, do be aware that the code was significantly revised (completely rewritten, really!) in 1901 - you can find a post-1901 reference book in the Helpful Links. I was also quite confused when I looked in the wrong book and got "They had not had" as the meaning!

I didn't know that date of change.  I added the phrase "revised (completely rewritten, really!) in 1901" to the links description.  Thanks.  :)

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 10:00:13 pm »
The fun part will be when someone finds some codes during 1900/1901, and has to work out which side of the change date they were on!

I wonder how many mariners got that wrong at the time?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 11:50:55 pm »
I think we'd all like to be a fly on the wardroom wall while they discussed the shift. :o 8)

HatterJack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 04:12:36 am »

I remembered the revision dates (1857, 1887, 1930, 1964, and 2003) and that the flags were changed (slightly) in 1901, but I didn't know that there was an official revision that went along with that. That's actually really useful to know, and might allow me to keep from running around the deck like a greenhorn looking for headlamp fluid.