Author Topic: A Method for Classifying Offences and Punishments (US Navy, 1870)  (Read 1216 times)

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A Method for Classifying Offences and Punishments (US Navy, 1870)
« on: September 10, 2015, 08:42:30 pm »
I ran across this little gem when I was trawling Google for something else, and didn't see anything obvious about it in any other forum posts:

"A method for classifying offences and punishments on board vessels of the U.S. Navy, with directions as to good-conduct lists, badges, and discharges, and as to liberty on shore and liberty money"

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/hvd.32044018998039

It has a description of the conduct class system, along with a comprehensive list of offenses and a table of suggested punishments for 'infliction' by the ship's commander. It's a short read at eleven pages, but has a lot of items that will be familiar to anyone who has spent any time reading through the USS Jamestown comment pages.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A Method for Classifying Offences and Punishments (US Navy, 1870)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 09:09:37 pm »
Great find!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 09:59:50 pm »
Wonderful find, I added it to the Officers and Personnel section of "Helpful Links to Outside Sources" in the Reference Desk board. :)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 07:46:47 am »
I ran across this little gem when I was trawling Google for something else, and didn't see anything obvious about it in any other forum posts:

"A method for classifying offences and punishments on board vessels of the U.S. Navy, with directions as to good-conduct lists, badges, and discharges, and as to liberty on shore and liberty money"

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/hvd.32044018998039

It has a description of the conduct class system, along with a comprehensive list of offenses and a table of suggested punishments for 'infliction' by the ship's commander. It's a short read at eleven pages, but has a lot of items that will be familiar to anyone who has spent any time reading through the USS Jamestown comment pages.

I don't know how helpful it could be for those of us on the Concord. Hardly anyone is ever punished for anything, having never really done anything wrong...  :'( :'( :'( :'(    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 01:55:15 pm »
Ah, yes, a crew of angels overseen by benevolent taskmasters, which searching on 'punishment' in the Concord forum quickly reveals.  ;D