Author Topic: Ask questions about marking and transcribing  (Read 10138 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ask questions about marking and transcribing
« on: September 23, 2015, 06:50:09 pm »
Please post your questions about marking and transcribing in this topic.

Quick tips can be found in 'Frequently asked questions' here
That page contains an index for the tips.

Problems to fix
You will find a small note on your post to show when it has been listed by the mods for further investigation/action. Once we know more/have changes to report we'll do note those in your post as well.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 11:02:17 am by AvastMH »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ask questions about marking and transcribing
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 10:29:08 am »
Got a techie problem - things not loading or going right?

Tech probs:
Please could you let us know:
  • Computer system (Windows*/ Mac etc)
  • Browser (type this into your brower line: https://whatbrowser.org/ )
  • Have you tried clearing your browser chache?

*Click the Start button, usually found in the lower left corner of the main Desktop screen.
Click the Run or Search field, type winver, and press Enter.
This opens a new About Windows window and display the version of Microsoft Windows, the build info, and service pack information, if any service pack is installed.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 11:02:50 am by AvastMH »

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 11:48:02 am »
Could a "This page is blank"/"This page contains no log entries" option be added? There's obviously a lot of blank pages at the start of the logbooks which is where all the ships are right now, and it's very tedious going through each question, especially given that the buttons move as the text changes.[listed by mods]

The last question ("Is there anything left to mark?") has Yes/No swapped compared to every other question, which is quite annoying, although I can see why perhaps you'd want to swap them. [listed by mods]

Selecting "Yes" to "Is there anything left to mark?" doesn't actually seem to do anything - you just get taken to the next page. I don't understand what the point of this question is.[listed by mods] Response below (link)

I also note that it's possible to click "Next" on each question without selecting an answer.[listed by mods]

If there is already a mark for something (e.g. a location) from a previous contributor, do I need to select "Yes" to the question about locations or not? If so, do I then need to provide a separate box? [listed by mods] Response below (link)

I'm not clear on whether or not we're still recording mentions of animals, people, and so on. [listed by mods] Response below (link)

For the date, I've come across some pages were a year was given at the top, and then Day/Month for each log entry. Do both need marking? [listed by mods] Response below (link)

Answers coming through - please check for yours: http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=4424.msg117188#msg117188 Thank you! AvastMH :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:15:57 pm by AvastMH »

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 12:36:28 pm »
Marking: click-happy stuff, isn't it? :(

Instead of all these questions, can there be some sort of toolbar for marking? [listed by mods]
I find I need to read the same page over and over.

Forgot to mark a date, how do I get back a step? [listed by mods]
Found I need to correct a marking, how do I get back a step? [listed by mods]

Is Social to be used for persons? [listed by mods][listed by mods, more to come for clarity though at 1.10.15]

Answers coming through - please check for yours: http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=4424.msg117188#msg117188 Thank you! AvastMH :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:17:24 pm by AvastMH »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 12:39:49 pm »
Selecting "Yes" to "Is there anything left to mark?" doesn't actually seem to do anything - you just get taken to the next page. I don't understand what the point of this question is.
Kevin's response - retains the page without a 'done' vote.
Randi's question - If I understand correctly that means that if I am the first person to mark the page and I answer Yes, the page will still need three people to mark it?
Kevin's response - Yes, though I don't know precisely what the number is (assume 3 for now) or how this question weighs in the overall page retirement algorithm.

If there is already a mark for something (e.g. a location) from a previous contributor, do I need to select "Yes" to the question about locations or not? If so, do I then need to provide a separate box?
Kevin's response - You don't need to remark things that have a good mark already.
Randi's response - This is in the tutorial ;)

I'm not clear on whether or not we're still recording mentions of animals, people, and so on.
Kevin's response - Yes, under events 'other' - a few more options will likely be added.
Mote: Only record whales in the whale category.

For the date, I've come across some pages were a year was given at the top, and then Day/Month for each log entry. Do both need marking?
Yes. See http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=4421.msg116214#msg116214
Kevin's response - Yes, though on the day entry you only need to mark the NUMBER not Monday or st, th, nd.

I moved some questions to the technical section.

[Listed by mods - issue of the final question  - more explanation required on screen, 4.10.15]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:04:51 pm by AvastMH »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 12:40:09 pm »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 12:40:35 pm »
I did a few transcriptions from the marking page by selecting one of the marked areas and clicking on the 'transcribe' symbol at the lower right corner. Seemed to work, but there was no indication after the fact that I had ever entered anything; when I re-selected marked areas there was nothing that indicated I had already entered something.

I haven't tried the the 'transcribe this page' option yet.

I'm curious - did you go from marking to "transcribe this page"?  How did that work for you?

Note from AvastMH: Thanks for letting us know about this! I'm copying this note to Ask questions about marking and transcribing in order to follow this up.

I found that I was marking up a certain item (e.g. wind/direction) through the page, then went back through those (click into the box, wait until it highlights, click on the little transcribe logo, enter work.)

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 04:17:04 pm »
Should crew lists be marked line by line (that's my assumption), or as a block?

Example here:

http://whaling-data.oldweather.org/subjects/logbookofhelensn00unse_0005.jpg

[listed by mods]

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:18:11 pm by AvastMH »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 04:40:19 pm »
Should crew lists be marked line by line (that's my assumption), or as a block?

Example here:

http://whaling-data.oldweather.org/subjects/logbookofhelensn00unse_0005.jpg
And if we use line by line boxes, do we use dittos for home city, or enter what the ditto represents (copy/paste) since the page above won't show to someone just pulling up the name in a database?

[listed by mods]

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:18:31 pm by AvastMH »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 04:48:30 pm »
for barometers like this:

Do we include any words before the numbers?  because this master and 3 baro readings and the words were identifying when he took each.

[listed by mods]

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:18:45 pm by AvastMH »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 05:54:08 pm »
Sorry - where is the when shown?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 06:14:33 pm »
Sorry - where is the when shown?
This was a transcription on Chrome, I don't know which ship or url.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 06:22:06 pm »
I was just curious about:
the words were identifying when he took each
All I see in the image is the name (which I would normally not include) and the pressure - to 3 decimal places :o

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 06:43:57 pm »
The one before that, the words were "At beginning" and after "at end" - I don't know what he was writing except he was identifying each of 3 readings that day.  I could see the others, but this was the only box I was offered.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 06:52:22 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 11:55:10 pm »
How do we fill a single wind speed/force box when the notation covers a period with a change of direction and a change in force from moderate to calm?  Putting the whole paragraph in the 'other description' is obvious, but did I do the upper box right?

[listed by mods]  [listed by mods - further clarification requested 1.10.15]

Answers coming through - please check for yours: http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=4424.msg117188#msg117188 Thank you! AvastMH :) We've asked for clarificatiin on the response
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:06:24 pm by AvastMH »