Author Topic: Ask questions about marking and transcribing  (Read 9417 times)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Ask questions about marking and transcribing
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 02:01:00 am »
Something new that I like it.  :)

While marking any page, you can interupt the process and transcribe each box right there, then go back to marking.

Follow marking procedure and draw a box.  Press the little 'Done' button in lower right corner.

Click on the finished box and look for the little light blue icon in lower right corner.

Transcribe what is in the box, and click 'Return to Marking'.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 01:50:49 pm »
How do we fill a single wind speed/force box when the notation covers a period with a change of direction and a change in force from moderate to calm?  Putting the whole paragraph in the 'other description' is obvious, but did I do the upper box right?

I would be inclined to put the entire description in the first box.
I had a log that said "becalmed" I would have put that in the second box.

However, we really need instructions from the PTB ;)

[Clarification requested by mods]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:07:37 pm by AvastMH »

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 02:19:51 pm »
I think I would have marked that as two separate entries.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 02:40:40 pm »
That would probably be correct too.

As I said:
However, we really need instructions from the PTB ;)

Based on Philip's reply, it should be two different entries because it is two different times
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 03:54:30 pm by Randi »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 03:04:27 pm »

I did a few transcriptions from the marking page by selecting one of the marked areas and clicking on the 'transcribe' symbol at the lower right corner. Seemed to work, but there was no indication after the fact that I had ever entered anything; when I re-selected marked areas there was nothing that indicated I had already entered something.

I haven't tried the the 'transcribe this page' option yet.

I'm curious - did you go from marking to "transcribe this page"?  How did that work for you?
[listed by mods]

Note from AvastMH: Thanks for letting us know about this! I'm copying this note to Ask questions about marking and transcribing in order to follow this up.

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 03:49:10 pm »
I'm curious - did you go from marking to "transcribe this page"?  How did that work for you?

I tried this once yesterday and it seemed to work fine.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 04:54:52 pm »
Thanks Bob - that's good to know! :D

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 10:56:07 pm »
Other than the fact that all transcriptions are occasionally being interrupted by a blank page obstructing progress, I really liked this way of doing it box by box better than any other.  The careful reading of the text to make the boxes isn't wasted nor needed to be done twice.

bluemuffin78

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 09:08:50 pm »
Marking: click-happy stuff, isn't it? :(

Instead of all these questions, can there be some sort of toolbar for marking? [listed by mods]
I find I need to read the same page over and over.

I've also found that I have to keep re-reading the page for each new question and also quite like the idea of have some sort of toolbar. :)

Answers coming through - please check for yours: http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=4424.msg117188#msg117188 Thank you! AvastMH :)  BLUEMUFFIN78 - you'll find that it's been noted that we'd like this facility - but it's not on the high-burner on the stove sadly just yet - but I'm sure it WILL come in time  :D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:08:38 pm by AvastMH »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 09:17:38 pm »
Marking: click-happy stuff, isn't it? :(

Instead of all these questions, can there be some sort of toolbar for marking? [listed by mods]
I find I need to read the same page over and over.

I've also found that I have to keep re-reading the page for each new question and also quite like the idea of have some sort of toolbar. :)

thanks so much for your feedback bluemuffin78! It's good to have votes for these matters! I've already listed this for the organisers - I'll keep everyone in touch with this.
In the meantime I've discovered something very useful - getting to the page url in order to have a look through it first..seems to speed things up despite having to still work through the clicks whilst marking and transcribing.
I've noted how to get to the images in 'helpful hints': http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=4425.msg116905#msg116905

Hope this helps  :D

bluemuffin78

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 08:41:51 am »
Thank you, I'll give it a try. :)

Angel_48

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 08:28:49 am »
I looked at the Whaling marking and transcribing page and tried to have a go.  But after zooming in on the page it was still so small I couldn't read anything on the page at all. Is there a way of making it bigger? Using IE11.

[Listed by mods] URGENT - still a problem at 4.10.15

Hi Caro, I'm guessing that, as the devs got Firefox up and running today, IE11 will soon be through the set-up and fix it initial phase - could you test again tomorrow please?  :D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:09:56 pm by AvastMH »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 12:15:53 pm »
Try Chrome for now. They are working on other browsers.

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 06:10:45 pm »
OK, after my first attempt on Whaling, here are my comments and questions.  The timing of Firefox being now workable is very good, as I'm doing a phone interview with someone from NOAA tomorrow, and it's good that I've at least had a go at the new project.

In Events, what does 'Social' include?  So far I've been putting people under 'Other' - is that right?
[Response from Philip to similar question asking if 'Social should include people: "At the moment, all I can say is 'please use the category you think best'"; AvastMH This query noted by mods

I don't like the way the event is isolated when transcribing and the rest of the page goes dark.  If I need to look at other parts of the page to help with the transcription it makes this very difficult.
[listed by mods]

I had a box which covered the whole page (a crew list) and wanted to simply put a description of it - but when I began to type in the box, which was at the foot of the screen, it disappeared off the bottom of the screen and I could only see the upper part of the page.
's maddening to have to go all the way through all the questions again after transcribing the boxes on the page, especially if there's only one.
[listed by mods]

I had a page with some boxes already drawn - I transcribed the entries as a whole as they were interesting.  I then wanted to transcribe the dates separately, but couldn't draw a box within the existing boxes to enable me to do so.
[Answer: Draw the box elsewhere on the page and drag it to the right position]

Overlapping boxes - I had a page which was already marked, wanted to transcribe the boxes by using Janet's method, but couldn't do so with one which overlapped a box for weather, as it gave me the weather box to fill in not the date.
[listed by mods]

Every time I go to a box and transcribe it, it comes up briefly with a message saying there's nothing to transcribe and do I fancy some marking, and then gives me the transcription interface.
[listed by mods]

Discovered that Janet's method for marking and then transcribing doesn't work easily if there's more than one of a kind of any entry e.g. I had a page with 7 dates; when I marked the first and then transcribed it I was moved on to the locations option.  It's necessary to mark them all first, and then go back and transcribe them, which makes it harder to keep track of what I'd done and what I hadn't.
[listed by mods]

In general, it would be very very helpful to have some way of seeing what I've transcribed - could there be a mark added to the box in some way?  I have a suspicion that when I clicked on 'Transcribe this page now' I wasn't offered everything I'd marked to be transcribed but had no way of knowing.  It may be that enough people had already transcribed some of the entries - but I'm doubtful as I'm on a ship which doesn't seem to have had much done yet (Helen Snow - chosen for the name ...)
[listed by mods]

A more general question - is it of value to the scientists to transcribe every record of wind direction and strength when they are quite general directions (Light breezes from the WSW sort of thing)?  If it is, I will, but there can be a lot of them ....
[Philip is interested in all the finer details so each page is likely to break out in measles I'm afraid!

And an observation - I can't myself see the attraction of marking without transcribing - but I suppose it does provide a division of labour which might suit some.  And it is good to have something which can be done in small bits - a nice change from the Patterson with its endless 24 WR a day pages.
[Noted by a 'Patterson' moderator!!  ;D]

Sorry to put so much in one message, but I don't want to lose any of it.  I've had a look through the Forum and don't think any of these have come up yet - but do point me to the answers if they have.

[Many thanks Helen!  :D]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:35:14 pm by AvastMH »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 06:20:29 pm »
Thank you, Helen! That is very helpful.

Philip has mentioned that is some cases zooming in will allow you to access boxes that overlap.

I had a box which covered the whole page (a crew list) and wanted to simply put a description of it - but when I began to type in the box, which was at the foot of the screen, it disappeared off the bottom of the screen and I could only see the upper part of the page

I am seeing the same problem despite the fact that the box only covers about a third of the page (https://static.zooniverse.org/whaling-data.oldweather.org/subjects/journalofsaratog00unse_0004.jpg). Every time I start to type the page scrolls down so that I can't see my typos what I am typing and the page "shivers" as I type.

[listed by mods]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:40:01 pm by AvastMH »