Author Topic: Report technical problems  (Read 20152 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Report technical problems
« on: September 23, 2015, 07:35:25 pm »
Please report your technical problems and comments in this topic.  We will pass them on to our technical support as soon as possible.  All other questions can be asked in Ask general questions or Ask questions about marking and transcribing

Thanks, everyone.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:30:01 pm by Janet Jaguar »

HatterJack

• "Wind is to us what money is to life on shore."
    • View Profile
Re: Report technical problems
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 07:26:35 am »
I was having these problems, but a simple cache clear seems to have fixed most of it. [listed by mods- fixed so no action]

The only persistent issue now is the inability to login. Doesn't seem to matter what browser I use. [listed by mods. I just sent you a message for a few more techie details - cheers!]

fixed problem
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:57:17 pm by AvastMH »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 08:03:43 am »
So reported.  I also have trouble signing in. :(
fixed problem
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:35:14 am by AvastMH »

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 09:29:21 am »
Well, I stopped at the front page.
Not only is it loading quite slowly, more importantly, it doesn't fit my browser window. [listed by mods, ?fixed message to Maikel 3.10.15 - Answer = No. Retain on list]

The row of ships isn't flexing into view and no horizontal scroll bar is shown, making it impossible to select a ship other than the ones I can partly see.

Discouraging, this is supposed to be the calling card of the project, the first port of call.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:27:50 pm by AvastMH »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 10:13:08 am »
Good morning Maikel.

Please could you let me know:
Computer system (Windows/ Mac etc)*
Browser (type this into your brower line: https://whatbrowser.org/ )
Have you tried clearing your browser chache?

*Click the Start button, usually found in the lower left corner of the main Desktop screen.
Click the Run or Search field, type winver, and press Enter.
This opens a new About Windows window and display the version of Microsoft Windows, the build info, and service pack information, if any service pack is installed.

Thank you!  :D

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 11:46:34 am »
The login button, as far as I can tell, simply isn't linked to anything. [listed by mods] fixed by 1.10.15

Not something that's necessarily broken (let me know if there's somewhere better to put this!), but there's no way to find out which ship you're transcribing unless you click on "About this ship" which takes you away from the transcribing page. That makes the forum threads for each ship a bit difficult to use, as you've no idea which ship you're on. [listed by mods]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:22:41 pm by AvastMH »

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 12:04:30 pm »
Good morning Maikel.

Please could you let me know:
Computer system (Windows/ Mac etc)*
Browser (type this into your brower line: https://whatbrowser.org/ )
Have you tried clearing your browser chache?

*Click the Start button, usually found in the lower left corner of the main Desktop screen.
Click the Run or Search field, type winver, and press Enter.
This opens a new About Windows window and display the version of Microsoft Windows, the build info, and service pack information, if any service pack is installed.

Thank you!  :D

Hi Joan,

The front page is loading faster this time, must have been a glitch this morning.

As for the row of ships, clearing browser cache doesn't make any difference.

Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
Firefox 41.0

I see Danny has the same problem (http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=4423.msg116641#msg116641)

[listed by mods]
Hi MAikel - I see that firefox is not fully sorted yet - Chrome is fine though. 27.9.15 http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=4424.msg116658#msg116658

Firefox fixed 2.10.15 - message to Maikel = ?check if fixed  Answer: No - noted!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:06:36 pm by AvastMH »

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 12:10:04 pm »
Blimey, the full list is there, and I can indeed see more if I zoom out in my browser. Is the list perhaps meant to be scrollable or something?

I'm also finding the site slow to use, same setup/results as Maikel.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 12:12:12 pm by Danny252 »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 12:23:07 pm »
Could a "This page is blank"/"This page contains no log entries" option be added? There's obviously a lot of blank pages at the start of the logbooks which is where all the ships are right now, and it's very tedious going through each question, especially given that the buttons move as the text changes.

Kevin's response - there is a 'bad page' button that is supposed to have a 'done' to skip - reported but not deployed as yet.

The last question ("Is there anything left to mark?") has Yes/No swapped compared to every other question, which is quite annoying, although I can see why perhaps you'd want to swap them.

I also note that it's possible to click "Next" on each question without selecting an answer.

[listed from Danny's original message]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:23:51 pm by AvastMH »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 12:35:46 pm »
Blimey, the full list is there, and I can indeed see more if I zoom out in my browser. Is the list perhaps meant to be scrollable or something?

Hi Danny,
Great that zooming out worked, but you should have it as scrollable so you can work down the list - is this still not working then please (I sent you a pm for reply)  :D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:35:06 pm by AvastMH »

Kevin

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 01:12:30 pm »
Well.....Laura told me last night that the site is only optimized for Chrome and Safari, so far. So when I use Firefox I can only see a few ships. So I downloaded Chrome.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 01:34:00 pm »
I sure hope they add Firefox soon!

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 01:35:50 pm »

Hi Danny,
Great that zooming out worked, but you should have it as scrollable so you can work down the list - is this still not working then please?

No, all the ships are shown in a horizontal row that extends past the ends of the screen.

Image 1: The front page as it loads for me.
Image 2: The front page when I zoom out in my browser.  [all listed by mods, Firefox problem?  Just checked these on Firefox 40 - 3.10.15 seemed OK] 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:59:21 pm by AvastMH »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 02:39:54 pm »
We need to be able to get the URLs (e.g., https://static.zooniverse.org/whaling-data.oldweather.org/subjects/logbookofmarydhu00unse_0015.jpg) in both Mark and Transcribe mode to discuss pages and to freely navigate the logbooks,  [listed by mods - Still O/S at 3.10.15]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:42:36 pm by AvastMH »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 03:44:45 pm »
The login button, as far as I can tell, simply isn't linked to anything.
True - noted in problems list. fixed by 3.10.15

Not something that's necessarily broken (let me know if there's somewhere better to put this!), but there's no way to find out which ship you're transcribing unless you click on "About this ship" which takes you away from the transcribing page. That makes the forum threads for each ship a bit difficult to use, as you've no idea which ship you're on.

Not easily spotted - but there are two small buttons at the bottom of the information about this ship page which you use to go back to the ship HOWEVER - seems to take you back to the first page - not good.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:00:37 pm by AvastMH »