Author Topic: Barber perhaps?  (Read 1501 times)

HatterJack

• "Wind is to us what money is to life on shore."
    • View Profile
Barber perhaps?
« on: September 24, 2015, 10:48:44 am »
I've stumbled across a rating abbreviation that I could swear I've seen before, but the modern use is for both a ship's bartender and a ship's barber (usually aboard pleasure vessels rather than merchant or war ships). I've never heard of a bartender aboard a warship, which makes me think that Mister Lewis either botched one shave and a haircut too many, or poured an incredibly sloppy bourbon.

Am I missing a rating somewhere in my head or was he really just a very bad barber. If it's the latter, I can completely understand, having seen Commander Tanner's glorious whiskers.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Barber perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 01:01:20 pm »

HatterJack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 01:14:25 pm »
I can't help but wonder, then, how badly a man would have to botch a Navy haircut to be ruled incompetent as a barber :o

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 01:48:26 pm »
If hollywood and authors got this bit of background material correct, barbers also did shaving since using long straight-edged razors is inherently dangerous and difficult around the mouth and throat.  So given Commander Tanner's superbly sculptured whiskers, maybe you shouldn't be asking about the haircuts Mister Lewis gives so much as how bloody his shaving gets?

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 01:52:10 pm »
My grandfather was a barber and I do vaguely remember the razor and the strop for sharpening it!

HatterJack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 02:26:35 pm »
If I didn't value my sailor's scruff as a sign of my manliness (har har), but when I clean up, I actually use a straight razor because there's literally no better feel than a straight razor shave. Makes baby bums feel like coarse sandpaper. The strop isn't actually for sharpening, per se, but for smoothing out the rough edges and burrs that come up after honing. It does leave the blade sharper, but that's more a side effect of not wanting to have a microscopic piece of steel tear your cheeks off.

A little splash of my aftershave cocktail afterward and boom, silky smooth, refreshing shave that leaves me feeling like a champion and smelling like a man.

Still, Zera had some amazing natural cheek jewelry, and I'm the tiniest bit envious that I couldn't grow anything like that even if I tried. Curse you genetics!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 02:30:45 pm »
 ;D